• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Storm Discussion: we’re due?

WxUSAF

Just now, MillvilleWx said:

The run was really positive to see with the newer 00z data ingest. I actually loved seeing the 5H progression of the trailing wave getting into the action late Sunday into Monday with light snow continuing over the MA. That will be something to monitor, but the primary shortwave passage was fantastic for a quick thump over a span of 8-12 hrs.

this is NASTY. jet streak, isentropic lift, and 700mb WAA/FGEN all collocated

gfs_uv250_neus_17.thumb.png.80f37b6f27f54ddbe8683a6085997190.pnggfs_temp_adv_fgen_700_neus_17.thumb.png.a391e5ce1da29397b59745063b5b21a8.pnggfs_isen290K_neus_17.thumb.png.fc80eadd68a0ecbf0891cd435884f45e.png

• Like 6
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Ji said:

are you back 3.0? The CMC has a 987 low. Seems to be catching all the new trends a day earlier than other models @psuhoffman

The ggem often plays follow the leader when it jumps around but att it does seem like maybe it’s actually leading the trends.  Who knows.  

The delicate power play between all those western SWs is driving the guidance (and us) crazy.  This is cool. Enjoy it. But until the details with those features stops shifting around every 12 hours don’t get too comfortable with any one specific projection. 

The general pattern idea has been there since day 15!  The general synoptic look since day 7-8. Amazing with all the crap going on in the jet out west. But we need to finer details to get nailed down since we’re on a razors edge wrt thermals. 

• Like 6

Canadian is really wet.  10-18" N and W of cities

Whoever gets lucky and ends up being just west of the R/S line but stays primarily snow is going to get dumped on with the dynamics of this storm. 10-18” may be a tad high but still

What a shift in just one suite. Still lots of time left though. Let’s lock it in.

Sticking to my guns, especially for my area over to PSUland. Low level warning snowfall looking very likely with the potential for more.

1 hour ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

No.  I have seen it so many times before.  Usually in that exact time range too. This is why I commented on @psuhoffman 's post last night when he was telling @Deck Pic how much the models have improved and how within 6 days its usually just ironing out minor details.   If this holds, the GFS was a major bust.

For like 8 runs in a row the GFS was showing a text book MECS.  Then all the sudden its QPF was cut in half while the track and intensity decreased dramatically.  I cant tell you how many times I have something like this in the exact same time range.  I feel like there is no safe lead time around here.

The goalposts have been pretty narrow for day 5-7. It’s been shifting around but if you zoom out the idea wrt track and a snow event somewhere in the mid atl to northeast has been there. But we care a lot about what are the finer details that determine a 50 mile shift in the R/Sn. It wasn’t that long ago that a whole synoptic event track would shift hundreds of miles at this range run to run. I guess it’s all perspective and perception how you define this though. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Pretty amazing difference on the GFS with 850 temps.  At its warmest, 18z had the 850 line just west of Dulles into Loudoun County while 00z keeps it down in Charles County, MD.  

image.thumb.png.97a9cf0726b56376fcc85a3b944fa767.png

While we wait for UK and Euro, I wanted to share 850s on the CMC too.  While CMC evolution is different than the GFS, similar story with colder solution than CMC 12z.  

image.thumb.png.4ac7fb76d8b70dfe6dcb195ffd7e7aeb.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Whoever gets lucky and ends up being just west of the R/S line but stays primarily snow is going to get dumped on with the dynamics of this storm. 10-18” may be a tad high but still

What a shift in just one suite. Still lots of time left though. Let’s lock it in.

Sticking to my guns, especially for my area over to PSUland. Low level warning snowfall looking very likely with the potential for more.

I would say the same thing I said yesterday.   8-12" for you.  3.75" for me with a variety of precip types. 

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic