• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring first regional significant winter impact event. Magnitude likely tempered. At this time NE PA/SE NY and SNE primarily. Jan 7/8.

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You probably would have lost it near the onset of 2/6/78 lol

Did you ever hear Harvey's story?  Similar.  He's telling it and noting a strong east wind pushed BOS up to 35 and he's telling the story thinking "don't do this to me!".   Yup.  

Just now, Boston Bulldog said:

Closed surface contours making landfall on the Florida Big Bend. Obviously lowest pressures jump north in the next frame, but the GFS seems to be really struggling with the convection down south. 

I was thinking  it may  chase convection off NC this run but it doesn’t seem to 

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Hmmm gfs lookin weaker early at 18z Saturday . If this run pulls  a warning event I’d be impressed (trailing vort magic maybe )

Front runner is weak sauce but that trailer is still barreling in on its heels. This run will prob still be good, tho maybe not quite as good as 18z. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That's a wild card to watch right up through go time.

It recovered nicely , trailing wave helped this from escaping but that was looking close early sat pm, people smarter then me with Synoptics can interpret wether that was lookin the same early , maybe good barcolinity close to Delmarva favors the low not being prone to that (if that is Even something worth watching or gfs Shenanigans)

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That's a wild card to watch right up through go time.

Considering the first wave is fizzling out and the secondary wave is what provides the primary forcing, I wouldn't be too concerned about that occurring. Not like there is a deep cyclonic center that is getting shunted east by the convection, the synoptic sweet spot downstream of the second wave will win out at the surface in this look even if the convection does some wonky things early in the evolution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Boston Bulldog said:

Considering the first wave is fizzling out and the secondary wave is what provides the primary forcing, I wouldn't be too concerned about that occurring. Not like there is a deep cyclonic center that is getting shunted east by the convection, the synoptic sweet spot downstream of the second wave will win out at the surface in this look even if the convection does some wonky things early in the evolution.

OK.  That is good info!

1 minute ago, Boston Bulldog said:

This was the feedback I was looking for and hope to recall in future 

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It recovered nicely but that was looking close early sat pm, people smarter then me with Synoptics can interpret wether that was lookin the same early , maybe good barcolinity close to Delmarva favors the low not being prone to that 

The vort being very weak and sort of paralleling the coastline rather than moving out to sea is helpful. It doesn’t sweep the baroclinic zone well out to sea. 

Having the trailing shortwave play a role on almost every run now is good for setting a higher floor on this event. I think a total or near-total skunk job is becoming pretty unlikely. The key is now going to be if we realize the higher potential if we can get those two shortwaves optimal. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

CMC runs it over the elbow.

It’s putting all that emphasis on the lead short wave, which it holds the identity of longer… It has virtually no interaction with the second wave