• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 General Discussion

Chambana

I picked up 0.57" of rain over the last 24 hours.  My January total is up to 3.25"... very wet.

My beautiful, deep snowpack is now very grungy and about 2/3 gone.  Grass is starting to show in a few spots.  Grass doesn't get greener than this in late January.  It barely froze through early January (the soil was soft when the snow hit), and then the deep snow insulated it during the extreme cold.

6 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Over an inch of rain last night brought DTW to over 4.5" of precip in January, the 3rd wettest January on record. That, plus the unusually severe (albeit too brief for my liking) stretch of deep winter are both things I did not see coming in a strong Nino.

All the creeks are elevated. Where I’m working now most of the forests have turned into swamps especially after last night. Some forest flooding I’ve seen so far is areas that have not been flooded it quite some time going off the type of vegetation that’s around. I definitely never would have had the rain nor the cold on my 2024 winter bingo card this year.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 2:50 PM, michsnowfreak said:

Over an inch of rain last night brought DTW to over 4.5" of precip in January, the 3rd wettest January on record. That, plus the unusually severe (albeit too brief for my liking) stretch of deep winter are both things I did not see coming in a strong Nino.

Toledo is up to 4.22" perhaps on the top-10 list but I'm not sure. On the positive side of things, there's no D1 drought category here anymore. Still hoping for some drought to be busted by El Nino systems in the Southwest, which could be upcoming

current_conus_chng_4W.png

• Like 1

This morning was back & forth between rain and wet snow. I received a slushy 0.2" of snow, but the heaviest amount was right near the airport, complete with slush covered roads at 0.8" at DTW.

DTW is now at 4.97" precip and 14.6" snow in January. The wettest January on record is 5.02".

I am at 5.00" precip and 14.2" snow in January.

Can't wait for the month to end, though. A couple days of suicide weather as part of the next few days. 
image.png.138c9ae268c0f87b7969705978457f36.png
Definitely reminiscent of January 2020 because that stretch and the current one occurred around the same timeframe (the final third of January).

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Took longer than expected, but it finally cleared off around 1pm here.  

Sort of tried to break the inversion around sunset here. I could sense some blue up there, but it only lasted about five minutes and then it was back to solid grey again/still...

8G3A5692.thumb.JPG.6420ed203bf0a1c2757c625a648129be.JPG

Now we wait for Jonathan Erdman to release an article about overcast stretches and records on weather.com soon, like in 2017 and 2020. Especially when his two articles say at the end: "We've also passed what is, on average, the coldest time of the year in most of the country. There may be more cold snaps through February and into March, but the climatological dice for these cold outbreaks more often favors January, rather than February.

Your possible sunshine is increasing minute-by-minute through the summer solstice, as the sun's energy gradually becomes more direct. And in just a couple of weeks, pitchers and catchers report for spring training.

Now there's something to sweep away January's gloom."

42 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Quite the snow burst this morning.  Large flakes and very low visibility.   Quick few inches already and still snowing!!  :snowing:

Im quite pleased. Also get to go home from work early due to the heavy wet snow. Mind as well be rain in terms of my electronics I have on me. The 3-5 was a surprise to see

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Of course I am out of town for a surprise, overachiever.

Yep. 3-4” across north of 59.  Maybe another 1.5” - 2” to go as well by looking at the radar. A nice 4-6” event