Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

2 hours ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

After seeing the 12z HRRR I ran down to the Warner Market Basket off 89 to run around screaming about bread and milk. Pretty stark difference in snowpack down that way (they had maybe half as much as me). Anyway, reached a high of 43.3 here back home but have since dropped to 42.6. Checked the models and it seems like the 18z HRRR is still trying to murder me and my family, wish me luck.

Is that the one right off I-89 behind McDonalds? I was thinking you lived closer to the Keene corner of the NH triangle. (Defined by me as the area southwest of 89, east of the CRV and north of the MA line. Its a virtual unknown wilderness to me.)

5 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Is that the one right off I-89 behind McDonalds? I was thinking you lived closer to the Keen corner of the NH triangle. (Defined by me as the area southwest of 89, east of the CRV and north of the MA line. Its a virtual unknown wilderness to me.)

Yup, that's the one! This is where I live. Town of Bradford is marked by the dotted line and my house is within the circle. There's actually not any real good way to go direct to Keene from where I live - the fastest way is through Henniker.

My Location.jpg

Sky cleared this afternoon and is still fairly clear so we’re getting a really fast radiational cooling and drop of temperatures. Got up to 44 but already down to 35.  Would seem to suggest that we are frozen in this event. But I don’t know if we get a push of warm air the surface at some point.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

Sky cleared this afternoon and is still fairly clear so we’re getting a really fast radiational cooling and drop of temperatures. Got up to 44 but already down to 35.  Would seem to suggest that we are frozen in this event. But I don’t know if we get a push of warm air the surface at some point.

Yeah, I'm dropping like a rock here too. 34.3 already. Not an event I really want to be ahead of schedule on.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Yup, that's the one! This is where I live. Town of Bradford is marked by the dotted line and my house is within the circle. There's actually not any real good way to go direct to Keene from where I live - the fastest way is through Henniker.

My Location.jpg

Thats a pretty big shadow/ downslope area 

15 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Yeah, I'm dropping like a rock here too. 34.3 already. Not an event I really want to be ahead of schedule on.

Nice to have a board member in your location!  I always wonder what is going on out that way. I lived in Webster for many years, and now I am in Boscawen .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Thats a pretty big shadow/ downslope area 

Honestly, there doesn't seem to be too much of a downslope/upslope effect off of Sunapee. Not a perfect example, but I certainly get more snow than Newport, Nh - which is to the west and roughly the same altitude. See the annual precip map below. East slopes are wetter on average. Of course that's covering a whole year and not just winter, so far from definitive. 

NH_72.png

6 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Honestly, there doesn't seem to be too much of a downslope/upslope effect off of Sunapee. Not a perfect example, but I certainly get more snow than Newport, Nh - which is to the west and roughly the same altitude. See the annual precip map below. East slopes are wetter on average. Of course that's covering a whole year and not just winter, so far from definitive. 

NH_72.png

Dendy and Will would know best. But I believe that area can get screwed at times. Particularly the Keene area

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Dendy and Will would know best. But I believe that area can’t get screwed at times. Particularly the Keene area

Keene is pretty far west almost in the valley. Even the parts of Keene that are above 1000 feet still feel the effect of the mountains to the east. Where he is in Bradford is to the east of the highest terrain so he will do well in most events. 

You can see on the topo map below where he is to the east of the highest terrain and then look down southwest where Keene is to the west of it. 

IMG_0154.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Dendy and Will would know best. But I believe that area can get screwed at times. Particularly the Keene area

Yeah Keene always seem to get screwed. Maybe they do well in SWFE events? Anyway, here's current snow cover with my location circled. Obviously not every winter is the same, but in general the east slopes do better. I averaged 11.5 inches on the ground at my house at around 4pm today.

Keene screwjob.jpg

6 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Yeah Keene always seem to get screwed. Maybe they do well in SWFE events? Anyway, here's current snow cover with my location circled. Obviously not every winter is the same, but in general the east slopes do better. I averaged 11.5 inches on the ground at my house at around 4pm today.

Keene screwjob.jpg

I was thinking you were right near Keene. You good 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

My Location.jpg

My nephew lives in that area, he's always bragging about how they get so much more snow than we do.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

My nephew lives in that area, he's always bragging about how they get so much more snow than we do.

When I was younger I lived in Pepperell, MA, which, in the scheme of things isn't a terrible place for snow despite having little elevation (I was at like 300ft). But winters up here are just so much different. Snow cover through winter is kind of just the expectation. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

When I was younger I lived in Pepperell, MA, which, in the scheme of things isn't a terrible place for snow despite having little elevation (I was at like 300ft). But winters up here are just so much different. Snow cover through winter is kind of just the expectation. 

Pepperell is about as good as it gets for low elevation in SNE.....really holds cold there tucked up against the east slopes of the ORH hills and west of the coastal fronts....they really wedge. My buddy lives there.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Pepperell is about as good as it gets for low elevation in SNE.....really holds cold there tucked up against the east slopes of the ORH hills and west of the coastal fronts....they really wedge. My buddy lives there.

True, but the school district there is made up of Pepperell, Townsend, and Ashby. I used to get so salty when visiting friends in high school that lived in Ashby as they would always have so much more snow than me. Ashby has to be close to the best town in central Mass for snow.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

34 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

True, but the school district there is made up of Pepperell, Townsend, and Ashby. I used to get so salty when visiting friends in high school that lived in Ashby as they would always have so much more snow than me. Ashby has to be close to the best town in central Mass for snow.

Always liked Ashby. Skied there as a kid. Gives you an indication of my age.

Screenshot_20240125_195542_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3