Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It’s tough because there have been and are a number of chances but still need everything to break right. 

But that’s mostly always the case when you actually break it all down.  And Especially so for something upper tier.  Let’s enjoy the tracking…no matter the outcome. 

2 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Might as well face it's slip sliding away...not that it ever looked great for the WOR losers

Well we can still salvage mod impact from norlun/mid level stuff. The big solutions though for WOR which were barely there in the first place are highly unlikely now, agree. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, WJX231 said:

Something has to break right eventually. Its frustrating because we havent had a decent event in two years around here. It doesn't even have to be anything major, I would be happy with a nice 6-8 event. But we weren't even able to manage that at all last season.

Haha. Didn’t we just getting a regional wide 6 to 14 inch snowstorm last week. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Well we can still salvage mod impact from norlun/mid level stuff. The big solutions though for WOR which were barely there in the first place are highly unlikely now, agree. 

Agree, if we could somehow eek out 3-4" that would be a win in my book

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

Everyone gets this, right? 

Actually, I see that you refer to it as the Coriolis effect, and not Coriolis force.  I've heard that before from a non-met scientist, who would get indignant when it was referred to as a "force".

I assume non-met people are referring to the fact that its not a real force per say and so call it an effect. It's only perceived from objects on a rotating frame to correct for that fact, like the centrifugal force. I presume it's referred to by atmospheric scientists as a force is because in drawing air parcel force diagrams, it makes it easier to understand the balances at work with pressure gradient, frictional, gravitational forces etc.

1 minute ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Well to me, it looks like they've clustered closer to the cape from 00z through 12z

That was my general point, granted I haven't seen 18z yet. The GEFS spread is even wider to me, while the overall mean seems further east. There's still time for positive trends

What kind of winter pattern shifts and upper-level stuff are being altered by climate change? I know the jet will speed up but I'm unsure how that affects the nature of large winter storms in general. Maybe someone can point me towards some studies on the subject?