Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Several stations reached 70° in January 2020 with the near record MJO 5.

Monthly Data for January 2020 for Upton NY NWS CWA
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
State
Name
Station Type
Highest Max Temperature 
CT ANSONIA 1 NE COOP 74
NJ NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 70
NJ TETERBORO AIRPORT WBAN 70
NJ CALDWELL ESSEX COUNTY AP WBAN 70
CT NORWICH PUBLIC UTILITY PLANT COOP 70
NY NY CITY CENTRAL PARK WBAN 69
NJ HARRISON COOP 69
NY FARMINGDALE REPUBLIC AP WBAN 69
CT NEW HAVEN TWEED AP WBAN 69
NY SHIRLEY BROOKHAVEN AIRPORT WBAN 69
CT GROTON COOP 69
CT IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL AIRPORT WBAN 69
NJ CANOE BROOK COOP 68
NY JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT WBAN 68
NY ISLIP-LI MACARTHUR AP WBAN 68
NY MOUNT SINAI COOP 68
CT GUILFORD COOP 68
CT MERIDEN MARKHAM MUNICIPAL AP WBAN 68
NY LAGUARDIA AIRPORT WBAN 67
NY SHRUB OAK COOP 67
NY WESTHAMPTON GABRESKI AP WBAN 67
NY RIVERHEAD RESEARCH FARM COOP 67
NY UPTON COOP - NWSFO NEW YORK COOP 67

0D635217-C7FF-44C5-882A-947C7B708DA8.thumb.gif.3e27b37573ab0e55f059a2083e98258a.gif

Thanks Chris, also check 1931-32 and 1932-33 as the only other consecutive winters that averaged 40.0 or above.

34 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

I think I woud assign a D-, no matter if the rest of the winter fizzles.  For me, last winter gets an F?

Yeah I forget about the D- because my institution doesn't give them only D's, odd I know. We also don't give A+ (but don't think we need that for a winter anytime soon). Last winter definitely gets an F and this one is only at the D because I have more than 8 times my snowfall from last year (almost 10 inches this year as opposed to under 1.5 all of last). An F is still on the table though for this year! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Brutal. Why can’t we hit 70

I was hoping the model runs a few days ago that showed sun breaking out and temps popping to the low 60s were gonna be right. I'm going deer hunting tomorrow and that would've been nice, but now we're looking at cloudy and temps stuck in the 40s instead. Too bad. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

I was hoping the model runs a few days ago that showed sun breaking out and temps popping to the low 60s were gonna be right. I'm going deer hunting tomorrow and that would've been nice, but now we're looking at cloudy and temps stuck in the 40s instead. Too bad. 

Today will probably be the warmest day for our area 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

Yeah I forget about the D- because my institution doesn't give them only D's, odd I know. We also don't give A+ (but don't think we need that for a winter anytime soon). Last winter definitely gets an F and this one is only at the D because I have more than 8 times my snowfall from last year (almost 10 inches this year as opposed to under 1.5 all of last). An F is still on the table though for this year! 

Is there any chance this winter can be graded on a curve?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Is there any chance this winter can be graded on a curve?

I suppose we can give it the Covid exception and offer an extension or extra credit. But I feel like Dr. Son won’t be happy come April if Winter isn’t done with his studies yet. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

i’ve been in shorts all day. Sometimes you have to remember that it’s the end of January. 51F now.

Record breaking dense fog extent across the US with this warmth encountering the snow cover in many places.

9CFD75A3-C38B-4BBF-BF19-76C8A3F00947.png.04b0446bfeabb21dd9980672fa00893a.png

• Sad 1

Despite light rain, clouds, and fog, the temperature surged to near record and record highs today. High temperatures included:

Bridgeport: 53°
Islip: 57° (old record: 55°, 2010)
New Haven: 59° (old record: 55°, 2010)
New York City-Central Park: 59°
New York City-JFK Airport: 54° (tied record set in 1972)
New York City-LaGuardia Airport: 57° (tied record set in 1967)
Newark: 59° (tied record set in 1972 and tied in 2010)

The frontal boundary will sag southward overnight bringing slightly cooler air to the region to end the week. As a result, the mercury will likely hold in the middle and upper 40s in New York City and Newark tomorrow. Farther south, Philadelphia could see the temperature rise well into the 50s while Washington, DC basks in temperatures in the upper 60s.

This warm period will assure that January will wind up as a warmer than normal month and Winter 2023-24 will become yet another warmer than normal winter in the New York City and Philadelphia areas. The generally mild conditions could continue into the first week of February with only brief interruptions.

Another storm will bring additional rain to the region. The rain could end as a period of wet snow in New York City. Accumulating snow is likely well north and west of New York City and across central New England.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +0.8°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.7°C for the week centered around January 17. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +1.10°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.92°C. A basinwide El Niño event is ongoing. The ongoing El Niño event has recently peaked and will continue to fade.

The SOI was -4.05 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +2.497 today.

On January 23 the MJO was in Phase 5 at an amplitude of 2.586 (RMM). The January 22-adjusted amplitude was 2.710 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied near 100% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal January (1991-2020 normal). January will likely finish with a mean temperature near 36.5° (2.8° above normal).

• Thanks 1