Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

20 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It is likely that MDT has hit their low temp for the season which would tie it for the second warmest low in their record keeping history.   This is seasonal not yearly.  3 of the top 4 have happened in the last 5 years.

image.png.ed9cc18db203043fc79f8064131d558c.png

I wonder what happened in 1932?

Also, check out the Dubois numbers when you get the chance please….

30 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It is likely that MDT has hit their low temp for the season which would tie it for the second warmest low in their record keeping history.   This is seasonal not yearly.  3 of the top 4 have happened in the last 5 years.

image.png.ed9cc18db203043fc79f8064131d558c.png

Growing up adjacent to the Susquehanna, every winter featured ice skating on the river and many years when huge ice jams would back the river up and cause flooding in Washington Boro and at Long Level. I remember one year the mounds of ice were over 10' high and the ice would "moan" as it slowly moved about.

Skating on the Susquehanna hasn't been available for years down this way and ice jams are rare as well. Just doesn't get cold enough, long enough for it to happen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Growing up adjacent to the Susquehanna, every winter featured ice skating on the river and many years when huge ice jams would back the river up and cause flooding in Washington Boro and at Long Level. I remember one year the mounds of ice were over 10' high and the ice would "moan" as it slowly moved about.

Skating on the Susquehanna hasn't been available for years down this way and ice jams are rare as well. Just doesn't get cold enough, long enough for it to happen.

The last 2 seasons have really sent that message home.  Only 1 of the last 6 months of met winter below normal and it was a soft BN.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Harrisburg should have reached the “Above Normal Snow” club if that ridiculous band the other night hit 15 miles further south or if the band never existed which could have led to the system producing a more uniform 3 to 6 inches as modeled less than 24 hours out.

true I still want some one to reply to my post yesterday. I know I wasnt in that band but it still snowed heavy enough to lay during other snow storms Ive seen at night. it took the whole snow storm for it to lay on any thing but the cars.by the end of it just started laying on the grass.

RGEM is 10 or more degrees cooler than all guidance i looked at for tonight. 

image.png.a2dedbf58f83ab4ecc5d6be3a1d4339d.png

Is it right or is it sniffing glue. I think we need a weekly glue sniffing ranking for models this year. The Euro probably gave you 70" of rain the past year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Just now, Jns2183 said:

Is it right or is it sniffing glue. I think we need a weekly glue sniffing ranking for models this year. The Euro probably gave you 70" of rain the past year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Recent history of nights similar to tonight, with high pressure overhead or to our north, suggests the temps will not fall as low as this but will be lower than all the other suites. 

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Recent history of nights similar to tonight, with high pressure overhead or to our north, suggests the temps will not fall as low as this but will be lower than all the other suites. 

You are spot on with the near 10 degree difference - my current forecast low from State College is 21. Just for fun, I'll say my low tonight will be 18.8. :)  

• Like 1

A fairly typical late February weather pattern with most days this week running a little below average but rising to above average by Thursday. Out next chance of rain looks to be Thursday night.
Chester County Records for today: High 74 Phoenixville (1948) / Low 4 below West Chester (1979) / Precipitation 1.86" Devault (1979) / Snow Devault 18.0" (1979)
image.png.403a203ef90191b49cd6e880445e9c86.png

6 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

I'm going for 15 here. Hope im wrong want it warmer.

NWS's take on dealing with the lack of many models efficiently handling good radiational cooling nights like the next 2.

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 6 PM TUESDAY/...
High pressure centered over the Leatherstocking region of New
York state tonight with a ridge extending south into the CWA
will bring clear skies and light wind. This will result in
efficient radiational cooling tonight. Will continue to blend
lower percentile NBM temps for lows Tuesday morning (teens to
low 20s which are a few to several deg F below normal).

• Like 2

Feels a little deflating in here (Americanwx) today - only 155 actively online currently out of over 17,500 members. Not good for February 19th. 
Everybody is too exhausted after the NBA All Offense Game to post.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Albedoman said:

I expect  to be in the single digits tonight again. Saturday night  was 8.  Last night was 18 with some cloudy skies.  A  foot of snow pack has greatly helped with raditional cooling and I am in a deep valley. My predicted low tonight will near 5-10 degrees

If the airport in Thomasville (York County) had similar snowpack to what you do - they would likely hit zero or below tonight. It's amazing how favored areas do with snow cover on optimum radiational cooling nights. 

I'm curious to hear what your low is tomorrow morning. 

Just now, Atomixwx said:

Everybody is too exhausted after the NBA All Offense Game to post.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

LOL, a "competitive" game was promised - the competition was who could hit 200 first. Even worse, if possible...the game actually regressed defensively as it went along. 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

If the airport in Thomasville (York County) had similar snowpack to what you do - they would likely hit zero or below tonight. It's amazing how favored areas do with snow cover on optimum radiational cooling nights. 

I'm curious to hear what your low is tomorrow morning. 

I am being very conservative. It would not surprise me though to be near zero if the winds decouple at sunset

• Like 1