Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

6 minutes ago, Storm Clouds said:

It’s beyond me why State College doesn’t even have a winter weather advisory yet for southern tern counties! Everyone model I see has at least 3-4 inches. People are going to be blindsided…

They addressed that area in their morning disco.

The SE will be the last to turn.
However, there is still some doubt/uncertainty as to the p-type
for the far SE (Adams, York, Lancaster) as the heaviest slug of
precip arrives in the early morning. If it falls hard enough,
it could be all snow as it won`t have time to warm up. However,
we could see another waggle back north, and this would keep the
temps just mild enough for a mix or just plain rain. SLRs
continue to look very low (sloppy, wet snow) for all of the
area. Extreme snowfall rates are possible. HREF progs support
high (90 pct chc) of 1-2"/hr snowfall rates over the central
zones, and even as far S as the Turnpike. That would make a big
mess for Harrisburg right when everyone is traveling. The
uncertainty of the band placement has kept us from converting
the Harrisburg metro into a warning at this point. We`ll ride
the watch.

Well well well, things have gotten a bit interesting haven't they.  I love being wrong ha.  Been pouring through some guidance this morning and the one thing that seems clear for the southern tier is that all of our potential snowfall relies on the coastal developing in just the right manner such that it quickly crashes the column and provides for a few hour period of heavy snow right around the morning commute.  How much is initially white rain and how efficiently it accumulates will be big X-factors, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if it doesn't look more likely than not at this point that we're going to get at least a couple inches of paste tomorrow.  Got my eyes on this 12z suite.  First up is the HRRR, running as we speak. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Storm Clouds said:

It’s beyond me why State College doesn’t even have a winter weather advisory yet for southern tern counties! Everyone model I see has at least 3-4 inches. People are going to be blindsided…

Par for the course.  Been that way for....ever.

Its been said many times by many of us, I don't envy the position of pros/public service/safety folk that are responsible for getting the word out, but yeah even for southern tier folks, they should at least post an advisory with disclaimer that were riding the line, and while it may not happen....it may, so dont be surprised if your wet gets white.  Specially with morning rush smack in the middle of it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

Par for the course.  Been that way for....ever.

Its been said many times by many of us, I don't envy the position of pros/public service/safety folk that are responsible for getting the word out, but yeah even for southern tier folks, they should at least post an advisory with disclaimer that were riding the line, and while it may not happen....it may, so dont be surprised if your wet gets white.  Specially with morning rush smack in the middle of it. 

Sterling up with WWA’s and WSW’s on the Maryland side. Definitely one of my pet peeves is when they don’t communicate/coordinate, and end up looking stupid.

• Like 2