• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Morning, all.  Low of 28 and would you look at that......some stray flurries flying from the sky.  #winning

I've been thinking all along with this frontal passage on Sunday that some people would see some sleet/snow on the backend as the cold air rushes in, particularly the northerners.  Pretty typical with these setups.  Nice to see it showing up on some models.

Edit:  Actually much more than scattered flurries here now.  Beautiful flakes.  Interesting look to the radar too, with it filling in nicely.  Obviously won't accumulate to anything but more than I expected and the kids are excited ha.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Hmmm...legit light snow now and radar has more, if not, better returns headed this way. More than I expected, and there aren't any bigger weenies than me!

yeah its really light snow here in Etown as well.  Good for the mood if nothing else.

A few snow flurries are flying this AM across spots of the county. Mostly cloudy the rest of today with maybe some more snow showers tomorrow AM. Temperatures both today and Thursday will struggle to escape the 30's. We start warming by Friday with above normal temps through the weekend with rain likely by Sunday before a return to colder again by next week.
Records for today: High 73 (1998) / Low 8 (1902) / Rain 1.47" (2013) / Snow 6.7" (1910)
image.png.1592b025b718a371594f86f7e5ae9cbe.png

13 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

On and off snow showers continue here surprisingly.  Here are a couple of pics. Don't know how to convert from download only. :oldman:

20231206_102529.heic 601.11 kB · 1 download 20231206_102527.heic 783.39 kB · 0 downloads 20231206_102526.heic 550.25 kB · 0 downloads

They're holding together enough to give us some flakes on the south side of town too. Had a really nice snow shower come through about an hour ago, Pigeon Hills disappeared. 

• Like 2

Just now, Wxdavis5784 said:

They're holding together enough to give us some flakes on the south side of town too. Had a really nice snow shower come through about an hour ago, Pigeon Hills disappeared. 

Didn't know you were so close because the mobile view doesn't show location. Those pics were taken on the way back from the top of Pigeon Hills. When it snows, why no cheat and go higher! Lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wxdavis5784 said:

Yeah, I thought thats where you were, but Hanover had disappeared in the photos lol. 

What's your elevation there? It's pretty much all 700-900' around Parkville. My daughter is right off Grandview on the east side of 94 and she's at 750'. I'm at 600', and she's been all snow a few times over the past few years when I've been a mix.

• Like 1

My son got an Ambient ws5000 and he got a temperature probe to put in the ground to monitor the ground temperature. Might be useful when snowstorms, sleet and freezing rain are forecast this winter. He's also transmitting his data to NWS in State College on some program he joined that's operated by NWS. Every 5 min data is transmitted to them 

Screenshot_20231206-120248_Ambient Weather.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, mitchnick said:

What's your elevation there? It's pretty much all 700-900' around Parkville. My daughter is right off Grandview on the east side of 94 and she's at 750'. I'm at 600', and she's been all snow a few times over the past few years when I've been a mix.

I am at 741' of elevation here. I am on the west side of 94 on Grandview. I'm one of the assholes who bought one of the new builds... LOL

4 minutes ago, Wxdavis5784 said:

I am at 741' of elevation here. I am on the west side of 94 on Grandview. I'm one of the assholes who bought one of the new builds... LOL

Nah, they're nice. My grankids go to St. Joe's, so I've been on that road a lot over the past 4 years. I  can even say I  remember when that property on the south side of Grandview was a farm.  lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Nah, they're nice. My grankids go to St. Joe's, so I've been on that road a lot over the past 4 years. I  can even say I  remember when that property on the south side of Grandview was a farm.  lol

Small world! My two youngest kids go to St. Joseph's and my oldest goes to Delone. 

I coach CYO Basketball there for boys grades 3-5. 

Not sure how many of you followed him, and you may already be aware, but John Dee has passed away.  He is the guy who ran a weather website from his home on the Keeweenaw Peninsula with just incredible snow stories.  It's a great site with an active community.  I would only occasionally check it and I believe he recently moved off of the Keeweenaw but still cool.  Anyway, his daughter posted a recent journal entry.  Very sad.  Not sure what will become of the site but apparently they plan to keep it going.  R.I.P. fellow weather nut.

• Sad 3

17 minutes ago, Wxdavis5784 said:

Small world! My two youngest kids go to St. Joseph's and my oldest goes to Delone. 

I coach CYO Basketball there for boys grades 3-5. 

Nice. I graduated from Mt. St. Joe in Baltimore, so it was an obvious choice. We used to be parishioners there, but then I  went into Annunciation in McSherrystown 2 years ago and couldn't imagine going back to St. Joe's.  It's an absolutely beautiful church. Unfortunately, they started a capital campaign and we just came from one at our old church in MD. Lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Nice. I graduated from Mt. St. Joe in Baltimore, so it was an obvious choice. We used to be parishioners there, but then I  went into Annunciation in McSherrystown 2 years ago and couldn't imagine going back to St. Joe's.  It's an absolutely beautiful church. Unfortunately, they started a capital campaign and we just came from one at our old church in MD. Lol

We are Parishioners at St. Joseph and we really enjoy the community. 

I have not been to Mass at Annunciation, but my daughter did a youth group bonfire there about 6 weeks ago. It was a very beautiful church, right next to St. Theresa. I'll have to come check out mass there one day. I also went to Catholic High School, but further south in MD. I went to St. Mary's Ryken HS in St. Mary's County, MD. 

34 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Not sure how many of you followed him, and you may already be aware, but John Dee has passed away.  He is the guy who ran a weather website from his home on the Keeweenaw Peninsula with just incredible snow stories.  It's a great site with an active community.  I would only occasionally check it and I believe he recently moved off of the Keeweenaw but still cool.  Anyway, his daughter posted a recent journal entry.  Very sad.  Not sure what will become of the site but apparently they plan to keep it going.  R.I.P. fellow weather nut.

Sad to hear.  His site is/was of big interest to the snowmobile community, and I used to visit often during winter months.  He was the one to listen to in the UP.  

Hoping they keep it going as you suggest.  RIP fellow weather weenie.  

• Like 3