Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

1 minute ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Year after year….what else should we expect?

Multiple reports all around MDT this morning of a couple of tenths of snow on the ground…

Maybe their overnight final numbers will revise it, but I’m not holding my breath.

What does ITT do?  Is his prediction now washed away at the hands of too many flights to Sanford/Orlando today? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Never a doubt… CTP says we should take our T today at MDT today & like it!

IMG_3501.jpeg

Forgive me gentlemen but I am about to go OFF! I promise you there was measurable snowfall at MDT today. Promise. I went right by the damn place at like 6:58am and there was already a solid tenth on all non-paved surfaces and it continued to snow for many hours for god’s sake. I understand temps weren’t ideal for accumulation but they werent’t terrible either. Not to mention this occurred during prime early morning hours for minimum solar. There is NO way a proper snow board being properly checked would’t have registered at least a tenth or two, conservatively. MJS will not stand for this blasphemous record keeping! 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Forgive me gentlemen but I am about to go OFF! I promise you there was measurable snowfall at MDT today. Promise. I went right by the damn place at like 6:58am and there was already a solid tenth on all surfaces and it continued to snow for many hours for god’s sake. I understand temps weren’t ideal for accumulation but they werent’t terrible either. Not to mention this occurred during prime early morning hours for minimum solar. There is NO way a proper snow board being properly checked would’t have registered at least a tenth or two, conservatively. MJS will not stand for this blasphemous record keeping! 

I  believe that something is wrong at MDT. Last month MDT was -.1 while Capital City airport was -.9. What's up with that?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Forgive me gentlemen but I am about to go OFF! I promise you there was measurable snowfall at MDT today. Promise. I went right by the damn place at like 6:58am and there was already a solid tenth on all surfaces and it continued to snow for many hours for god’s sake. I understand temps weren’t ideal for accumulation but they werent’t terrible either. Not to mention this occurred during prime early morning hours for minimum solar. There is NO way a proper snow board being properly checked would’t have registered at least a tenth or two, conservatively. MJS will not stand for this blasphemous record keeping! 

It’s been a problem for years, especially in marginal events.

You still have 5 hours to have them fix this terrible error!

The final daily summary doesn’t come out until overnight.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I  believe that something is wrong at MDT. Last month MDT was -.1 while Capital City airport was -.9. What's up with that?

My hypothesis for that is, with CXY being on the west side of the river and MDT being on the east side, and the prevailing winds being westerly in nature, that the relatively warm late-autumn water has a slight but noticeable impact on the temps at MDT. The opposite effect would be true in spring. But I am certainly not above being skeptical of MDT’s accuracy either haha.  

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Forgive me gentlemen but I am about to go OFF! I promise you there was measurable snowfall at MDT today. Promise. I went right by the damn place at like 6:58am and there was already a solid tenth on all non-paved surfaces and it continued to snow for many hours for god’s sake. I understand temps weren’t ideal for accumulation but they werent’t terrible either. Not to mention this occurred during prime early morning hours for minimum solar. There is NO way a proper snow board being properly checked would’t have registered at least a tenth or two, conservatively. MJS will not stand for this blasphemous record keeping! 

Glad others are finally noticing it. It's gets alot worse than today. Especially on marginal over night events. 

Some Ob’s from my travels. Palmyra to line grove had a solid 1”. Plows were down near catawissa. Bloomsburg barely a coating. Williamsport to Mansfield university much the same. Cabin down low a coating. Up top 1.5-2” and icy as hell. In Westfield now. Wing nite.

I’ve got pics for proof but damn things are too big. Happy for all that got some flakes today.  About 260 miles for the day. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Some Ob’s from my travels. Palmyra to line grove had a solid 1”. Plows were down near catawissa. Bloomsburg barely a coating. Williamsport to Mansfield university much the same. Cabin down low a coating. Up top 1.5-2” and icy as hell. In Westfield now. Wing nite.

I’ve got pics for proof but damn things are too big. Happy for all that got some flakes today.  About 260 miles for the day. 

Yep 1st snow inch. 

The NAM may beat the globals here in terms of thermodynamics because it's got better resolution. We got burned several times in Maryland when the GFS/EURO showed a clean and quick transition from rain to snow, but the NAM showed a persistent warm tongue that kept everything as a mixed bag and cut down on accumulations. The NAM was dead on in the end.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

48-72 hrs prior is when you want the positive trends to start, and it looks like that what we have. The key word is "trend" because it's still too early to buy into any model output verbatim. 

35 here this AM. 

Seems to me it is the EC and Nam vs. all others right now as to the LSV.  GFS, UK, CMC/RGEM, and Icon not really on the accum snow train for the LSV IMO.  Trend wise, the EC held pretty much from 12Z.    The Nam a surprise after some of its looks yesterday...seems to be focusing on several areas of LP.  If it showed no snow people would be saying 'It's the Nam in the 70's". 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

35 here this AM. 

Seems to me it is the EC and Nam vs. all others right now as to the LSV.  GFS, UK, CMC/RGEM, and Icon not really on the accum snow train for the LSV IMO.  Trend wise, the EC held pretty much from 12Z.    The Nam a surprise after some of its looks yesterday...seems to be focusing on several areas of LP.  If it showed no snow people would be saying 'It's the Nam in the 70's". 

Come on, you know the old rule…

Hug the model with the most snow!

• Like 4

31 degrees and foggy here this morning. 

Seems like quit a few foggy mornings lately.

Well at least the models are starting to show snow. 

MU weather, this morning.

Until that trough over Alaska retracts into the Bering Sea or is replaced by a ridge, it’s “game over” in terms of much cold/snow in southeastern PA. And this is just one of several factors. The # of “mild days” will be far greater than the # of “chilly” ones through #Christmas.