Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2023/24 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

As for the rest here from the last few days, good stuff and you can already see some hints of the change in the longer range. I still worry about going warm and dry to cold and dry but beyond that it does look colder about a week out from now.

I'd rather take my chances in a cold and dry scenario.  Given the right setup maybe the lake can help produce some snow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmc76 said:

Ll

IMG_7418.jpeg

Translation from Mr Richman

"Be careful of clickbait on social media that outlines reasons why a step down process and turn towards colder, more wintry weather is likely coming up in January and beyond. Instead, listen to my advice, which includes no reasoning and just a blanket statement that a strong el nino means cold stays to the northwest (which is not even correct)".

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Translation from Mr Richman

"Be careful of clickbait on social media that outlines reasons why a step down process and turn towards colder, more wintry weather is likely coming up in January and beyond. Instead, listen to my advice, which includes no reasoning and just a blanket statement that a strong el nino means cold stays to the northwest (which is not even correct)".

Yeah. cold staying northwest is La Nina. That was the pattern last winter. lol. So much misinformation everywhere these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mittenwx said:

Brutal 12Z GFS.  Keeps the endless party of 40s going well into January.  No sign of any cold.  I'd trust Ryan Wichman at this point over the hypers.

Wonder if the cutoff low just screwed up the opportunity for the "pattern change" that was supposed to occur next week.

Only have 0.8" of snow so far for '23-24, all during this December. Wonder if '23-24 will be one of those seasons where it ends up with single-digit snowfall totals by spring.

22 minutes ago, DocATL said:

This is incomplete information. I would expect a pattern change but not until the end of January. We will have to get through the warm MJO phases. The PV likely goes to Europe as it seems that is the hot hand in recent years.

The pattern change is already occurring, with additional evolution likely with time.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Spartman said:

Wonder if the cutoff low just screwed up the opportunity for the "pattern change" that was supposed to occur next week.

Only have 0.8" of snow so far for '23-24, all during this December. Wonder if '23-24 will be one of those seasons where it ends up with single-digit snowfall totals by spring.

The cutoff low in some form or another has been predicted for a while. I do think the best times will be later in january into February. But I saw someone else say this and it's so true: a lot of people don't think the pattern has changed unless they're shoveling.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

Wake up, loop euro, nothing cooking, post some zzzzzs, repeat 

I don't take my "change vibes" from one run of an operational model that rarely would fully encompass a major pattern change.And of course, neither do you. And it's been fully well documented here. Time to hop aboard the "change" train, my friend. Zzzzzz's leaving the station.

• Like 1

You're both right and you both know it. Pattern change is not necessarily immediately accompanied by a change in sensible weather. Operationals depict going from WAD to seasonal and dry. However, I am encouraged by the fact that at least there is a better opportunity for interesting weather down the road and in fact the Euro may begin to show something in a couple of more runs, but in the short-term, yeah, zzzz away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

You're both right and you both know it. Pattern change is not necessarily immediately accompanied by a change in sensible weather. Operationals depict going from WAD to seasonable and dry. However, I am encouraged by the fact that at least there is a better opportunity for interesting weather down the road and in fact the Euro may begin to show something in a couple of more runs, but in the short-term, yeah, zzzz away.

Ya, it's nice to see the change to more seasonal weather. Certainly opens up the door to at least the chance of some snow. The other hand is that it looks pretty boring and the chance of getting anywhere close to normal snowfall on the season is leaving the station fast. 

A few consistent weeks of actual winter in late January-February is what I'm banking on. Couple storms (3"+) and some consistent snow cover 

35 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I would disagree that it is backing away, weaker sure. But I actually don't mind a weaker SSW event because I don't want to go from warm and dry to cold and dry. A strong SSW could easily be suppression city.

Interesting thoughts. You think a weaker SSW would favor colder but LESS suppression than a strong one?

From today's AFD from NWS IND:

.Beyond day 7...
Some hints in ensemble guidance of a trend towards a more active
pattern. Longer range guidance has been hinting at a sudden
stratospheric warming event occurring in the Arctic come early to
mid January. This correlates nicely with the Arctic Oscillation
going negative as shown by many ensembles. Will be watching this
closely as this could lead to a period of winter-like weather and
colder temperatures come mid January into February.

• Like 3