Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

brooklynwx99

6 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

And on the flip side and equally as likely - highs can be much colder than that or even below average if we are on the north or west side of a low pressure. Still 9-10 days out plenty of time for storm tracks to change.  Pretty much have to get one of these clippers to track south of us next Sunday or Monday for a cold Christmas and potentially one with flakes in the air.. 

Welcome to the forum neighbor!!

10 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

And on the flip side and equally as likely - highs can be much colder than that or even below average if we are on the north or west side of a low pressure. Still 9-10 days out plenty of time for storm tracks to change.  Pretty much have to get one of these clippers to track south of us next Sunday or Monday for a cold Christmas and potentially one with flakes in the air.. 

The end of the month looks promising .

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

34 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

Certainly frustrating that highs near 50 around Christmas needs to be qualified with a statement that it's "nothing too extreme compared to some recent years"!

Honestly I just want decent weather (if it's not going to snow) nothing worse than an xmas rainstorm.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

But the recent storm track correction for systems like this weekend was to the west and not south. The air mass for a few days after this strong system is only a little below normal  due to the mostly Pacific origin. So a weak clipper may end up further NW or sheared out due to the fast flow and not going to the south. Even if it did, a weak system will only pull in more mild Pacific air with less cooling effect than the storm early next week. 

New run trend was for warmer storm track

1AC762AD-F1AD-44A1-8613-D1627E32F3BB.thumb.png.0a3c00c00d745a49bfc2a7c396872bfb.png

Old run colder track to our south

32D1129B-81A9-485B-A64A-A331B1CDD6D6.thumb.png.ef7d2aa35ab546bb613cdb259aa2e059.png

Can't attach images, however EPS has several low pressures south and east of us on Christmas Eve, in this scenario we'd get a northwest flow and much colder temperatures, that's all I'm saying.  Temperatures on Christmas day are 100% dependent on the flow and what side we are on of any approaching or departing storm.. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

Latest OLR maps have the standing wave in p7 dissipating with most the convection in p8/1. If true, would think their is a cold risk in the east first two weeks of January 

Can you help me understand the “standing wave” in the context of the MJO? Does that simply mean a slowdown with forcing lingering in a specific phase from some sort of feedback loop?

3 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Very promising 

Screenshot_20231215_075917_Chrome.jpg

Unfortunately that wave may complete its cycle before we really see things reshuffle enough to get legit cold air in place and the pattern setup as we want.  Could be into the COD or even weakly into 3-4 by the time we reach 1/2-1/5 which is when I think we might have the Pac/Canada setup well.  It could be partially why though we saw things turn better overall in the post 12/20 period after ensembles abandoned ship for 2-3 days last week,

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Latest OLR maps have the standing wave in p7 dissipating with most the convection in p8/1. If true, would think their is a cold risk in the east first two weeks of January 

Followed by another mild week or two as the energy flux rises from the trop to the strat....then its pants off for Feb.

32 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Underrated fact, the last few days the GFS is kind of getting owned by the CMC/Euro/ICON beyond 72 hours...we have legit not seen that since maybe the 2017-2018 winter on any consistent basis...probably something to do with more southern stream influence 

That winter actually had a ton of northern stream, at least in March.....I had my snowiest March on record after that Feb SSW.

TBF people light Snowman up with weenie’s constantly too, many cases for posting his genuine thoughts. But because it’s ‘negative’ it gets seen as trolling. I don’t think that’s fair, personally.  

Look how you say things matters still in written format, and sometimes people come off a certain way when they post that goes beyond giving objective opinions / forecasts. But I do think some have been largely doing better with that. 

I will always give props to well reasoned posts, especially those with effort behind them / data etc. And that holds even if it’s not what I, personally as a ride or die cold & snow weenie, want to hear. I try to separate emotion from this, because I’m here to learn first and foremost. 

All just my thoughts / weighing in. I’m not the arbiter of what’s right and wrong for the forum. 

• Like 1