• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2023 General Discussion

cyclone77

Third straight day of full sun, not a cloud in sight, and almost 60 every day too. Every year I try to remember the latest I was able to still golf, I think nov 28 a few years ago. Maybe/hopefully we can break through that this year. I definitely don't take days like these for granted, considering it seems like it's been full clouds for the last few weeks. 

3 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Third straight day of full sun, not a cloud in sight, and almost 60 every day too. Every year I try to remember the latest I was able to still golf, I think nov 28 a few years ago. Maybe/hopefully we can break through that this year. I definitely don't take days like these for granted, considering it seems like it's been full clouds for the last few weeks. 

I just commented yesterday how we've had way more sun in november than we had in october. It's all good though  great for winterizing, leaf cleanup, and putting up the christmas decorations. Especially with winter looming next week.

• Like 1

what's happening here at the IL/WI lakeshore border?

nighttime micro and band 7 shortwave IR images
1550560250_Screenshot2023-11-15180016.png.2ddb72ea07098f38176a750c41149059.png
648971855_Screenshot2023-11-15175938.thumb.png.bd837849caaf5b2409c723d8412724ea.png

I’m guessing it’s some sort of burn at one of the large preserves around there.

There were so many burns going on at local preserves today that there was a layer of smoke during the afternoon. It was significant enough to put it in OBS here at ORD for a while.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

SEMI the only ones experiencing these extreme temp swings? AA with a 42 degree flip today, beating yesterday's 31 degree delta.

image.png.ed485b8ebee21e66ade76b138c11e2bb.png

Detroit Metro was high 62, low 31. So Ann Arbor had a quick dip in temperatures below 30 that many areas didn't exactly get. I got used to this sort of weather out West with fairly typical temperature swings with dew points in the 20's and many ideal radiational conditions.

From areas of Loveland I could see a smaller mountain north of Fort Collins over 21 miles away,  down to the far-off Indian Peaks, well south of Long's Peak, 35-50 miles

DSCN3607a.jpg

• Like 3

Today was quite warm in the mid to northern Plains, up to 23 degrees above average. Many of the recent days have been 60-70 in the mid-Plains.  Cheyenne at 6100 feet above sea level was not far from daily high temperature records recently. Rapid City SD had a high 71 today, and a low of 27. The 71 was only 3 degrees lower than the daily record, 74 degrees. As you can imagine, very low moisture allowed the temperature to fall to 27. Yesterday, Minneapolis had a high of 66, compared to a record daily high of 71.

minneapolis.jpg

A little OT here, but just came across info on the Leonid meteor shower we have every Nov. In 1833, there was a meteor storm on Nov 12-13. Est 100-200k+/hr rates across the E US. The moon had set in the evening, leaving dark skies for the event to be seen easily. And of course, then, no real light pollution to speak of like we have today. WOW! That would be awesome to witness. Hope something like that happens before I leave the world. Remembering those 2 comets back in the mid-late 90's with awesome tail views in the NW sky. Hale-Bopp was one, then there was another with a Japanese name if memory serves. Rare one gets to see events like that in your lifetime.

• Like 2

Here are two satellite pictures of the southern Plains today. I think this is called transverse banding of cirrus clouds. There have been a lot of new cloud developments today across the country today. A complex jet stream pattern and cold front are pushing into the Plains

2023_11-16_midday_southern_plains_transverse_cirrus_waves.jpg.5e20a93ad5f0483b6f58c3f22cfc7a94.jpg

2023_11-16_midday_southern_plains_transverse_cirrus_wavesIR.jpg.b9ec5bb7fda1e64a81c21dd574713317.jpg

2023_11-16_late_day_IR.jpg.15f4c2d041559624191e13c8f6319fec.jpg

• Like 3

Wednesday and Thursday featured top notch weather around here for a week before Thanksgiving, with both days featuring  highs in the mid-60's and ample sun.

We've reached the point where there's an abnormal amount of foliage still lingering, some of which is still green. Even with the cool down coming for a period of time after Thanksgiving, it's looking likely we'll be still carrying some foliage, some green, on into early December.

4 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Wednesday and Thursday featured top notch weather around here for a week before Thanksgiving, with both days featuring  highs in the mid-60's and ample sun.

We've reached the point where there's an abnormal amount of foliage still lingering, some of which is still green. Even with the cool down coming for a period of time after Thanksgiving, it's looking likely we'll be still carrying some foliage, some green, on into early December.

The tree right outside my apartment still has tons of leaves on it. The strong north winds started to finally knock a lot off this morning. Looked like it was pouring leaves.

9 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

All the trees around here are bare, even the oaks are mostly bare now.

Same here.  About a week ahead of last year.  

Euro still has nice cold/wintry look for the next two weeks.  Also supported by its ensemble.  American models have been like unmanned fire hoses.