Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

On 11/21/2023 at 2:10 PM, stormy said:

The latest CANSIPS paints that perfectly for December.

image.thumb.png.a94d9f07a3467dbe54d0f1957c4791b6.png

I would rather take my chances with that, based on how past storms trended north as we got closer in time. It seems easier for north trends to occur rather than south trends, which we've seen many times! It's reassuring that this El Nino is legit this time, rather than the fake-out that was 2018-19. It's been too long since we've seen a proper El Nino.

I was pleasantly surprised at today's ECMWF polar vortex model run, which made the PV even weaker than yesterday's run. Not to mention I was already surprised at that. 

The MJO seems to want to enter the COD before going into the warmer phases, and the extended euro ensemble wants to gravitate the MJO back towards the colder phases mid month. We will probably see a warmup the first week of December, but even that seems more muted now compared to a couple days ago. Encouraging signs. 

• Like 7

^The EPS continues to indicate a much improved look in the NAO domain over the last few runs for that period. It has gone from a flat central Canada ridge- more of a Pacific puke mild look- to a pretty impressive -NAO for the first week of Dec. Still not a very a cold look with that GoA trough. My guess is the less favorable Pac will be temporary. GEPS has a ridge popping over AK towards the end of its run.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Improvement on the GEFS over the last few model cycles. The 0z run has +h5 heights centered over Baffin, and the Pacific look is somewhat better. The exact MJO progression is likely the biggest driver of the Pacific pattern for the early/mid Dec period. The latest runs are generally weaker in phase 3, and take it into the COD before/just as it gets into phase 4.

1702015200-oPBVDLupM60.png

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Weather Will said:

WB 0Z EPS, maybe we don't wait until the holidays...for fun showing the control's Carolina snowstorm during this period.  Don't remember seeing SE snowstorm digital snow like that last year.  Fun times ahead!  Wishing you and your families a peaceful Thanksgiving!

IMG_2070.png

IMG_2071.png

IMG_2072.png

This will be north a common theme in El Ninos that we score in the past is that the cold air is not quite as deep and the storm track is always usually south and works north in time. 

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

^The EPS continues to indicate a much improved look in the NAO domain over the last few runs for that period. It has gone from a flat central Canada ridge- more of a Pacific puke mild look- to a pretty impressive -NAO for the first week of Dec. Still not a very a cold look with that GoA trough. My guess is the less favorable Pac will be temporary. GEPS has a ridge popping over AK towards the end of its run.

Yes. Last night was a step in the right direction. Let's see if this holds. I would rather have a bunch of small to medium size events than one big event. I want to be home with my wife and enjoy snow, not locked in a windowless operations center for days on end.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Yes. Last night was a step in the right direction. Let's see if this holds. I would rather have a bunch of small to medium size events than one big event. I want to be home with my wife and enjoy snow, not locked in a windowless operations center for days on end.

I, myself, want more of a compromise.   I'd rather have lots of big events.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

I want a lot of events as well, but this is a sacrifice I’m willing for you to make.

1 hour ago, TSSN+ said:

He must never leave the operations center. 

Yep. Step up and take one (or a bunch) for the team!!

24 minutes ago, 87storms said:

I start a math teaching gig on Monday, so I think I’m on board with your view as well. A few late starts will help me ease into the transition of waking up with the early birds.

I'd love something like 8"-12" of cold powder on a Friday night with no wind, then a nice reinforcing Clipper coming down two days later to top everything off with something like 3"-5". Deep winter and no consequences.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 12Z GFS,  my non expert eye says at 12 days out this the is one to watch...

IMG_2076.png

Better odds than last December when the

block was further South and the West Coast set up was slightly different.  AO progged to be diving just prior to this time. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, CAPE said:

GEFS likes the 5th for a storm. As is typical, the mean follows the op with an OV low and coastal transfer. Verbatim it's a bit warm. The 6z run had a similar evolution for that timeframe. The GoA low would be the primary issue for this period. Subject to change though this far out.

Euro has a pretty good setup at D10. Looks like a setup for a snow to rain type deal. Euro control run may show something. Although it’s obvious next week’s cold won’t stick around to March, doesn’t look like we flip to a shit the blinds kinda pattern. So that’s good. Keep December 2015 outta here.

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Euro has a pretty good setup at D10. Looks like a setup for a snow to rain type deal. Euro control run may show something. Although it’s obvious next week’s cold won’t stick around to March, doesn’t look like we flip to a shit the blinds kinda pattern. So that’s good. Keep December 2015 outta here.

WB 12Z EPS control

IMG_2077.png

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

pretty mint IMO

IMG_3539.thumb.png.c67f412889f415d96bc8b0ea56cc18b2.png

• Like 12

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic