Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
November Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

On 11/19/2023 at 7:35 AM, psuhoffman said:

Come on.  That’s mostly just details emerging as the lead time shortens. There was never enough antecedent cold for that wave to be a legit snow threat. 

never talked about snow threat. I wanted a 42 degree Thanksgiving day

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ji said:

never talked about snow threat. I wanted a 42 degree Thanksgiving day

A long range mean h5 ensemble plot is not very useful for predicting the exact high temperature or frontal boundary location on a specific day.  The guidance was way more right than wrong about the longwave pattern and that is what the goal should be on a day 10 ensemble mean.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 12Z GEFS late next week, snow storm or not TBD but at least there is not a SE ridge....

IMG_2056.png

Nice. Wonder how that’ll evolve. Maybe that EC trough turns into a 50/50 while the wave off the west coast undercuts the pna to give us an overrunning event. 

But that’s wishcasting at this range. 

• Like 2

A thought I had about our upcoming winter and the PSU stats. Isn't is possible that, since December seems to act less and less like winter of late and March is acting more and more like winter, the PSU stats/theory don't matter as much or perhaps the first measurable snow could be later into December and we could still have a blockbuster winter?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

A thought I had about our upcoming winter and the PSU stats. Isn't is possible that, since December seems to act less and less like winter of late and March is acting more and more like winter, the PSU stats/theory don't matter as much or perhaps the first measurable snow could be later into December and we could still have a blockbuster winter?

Of course its possible...but we have seen no objective evidence of that yet.  Maybe that is simply because all of our winters lately have been crap so there are no test cases.  Maybe we start to see examples where the whole area torches early and still recovers to have a snowy winter but until that happens...I would simply root for cold/snow early.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aldie 22 said:

Wonder how much has changed in the last 13 years :) found this work done by Ender on here back in 2010...i guess you can file this in the PSU first inch category of analysis.

After reading mention of the "mid-Atlantic December 5th rule" I decided to take a look at historical DCA first .5" or greater snowfall dates and the implications for the ensuing winter. Here's what I found:

If the first such measurement was in the month of November (11 cases) then the winter averaged 17.1" with 13.7" falling after the first Nov snowfall.

If the first .5" or greater fell between 12/1 and 12/15 (17 cases) there Winter averaged 21.3" with 17.9" falling after the first event.

If the first .5" was between 12/16 and 12/31 (13 years) then Winter averaged 19.2" with 15.4" falling after that first snowfall.

If the first .5" was in the month of January (21 years) then the entire winter only pulled 12.1" with another 9.5" falling after the first snowfall.

Looking at the results from the angle of first snowfall depth was somewhat more interesting.

If the first snowfall was >4" then the season as a whole averaged 28.3" with 20.1" falling after the first storm. A total of 16 years met this criteria.

If the first snow was between 2" and 3.9" then the winter's total averaged at 11.5" with 8.75" falling after the first event.

In the 20 years where the first storm was between 1" and 1.9" the winter averaged 15.2" with 13.8" falling after that first snowfall.

A total of nine winters saw a first .5" or greater snowfall of between .5" and .9" and those winters only averaged 12.3" for the entire winter.

NOTE: I only considered a snowfall the "first snowfall" if the measurement was >=.5". So if .1" fell on 11/17 and .2" fell on 11/22 and .9" fell on 12/3 then as far as this "research" is concerned the first snowfall was the .9" event on 12/3.

The average of the entire data set (1945 - 2010) was 16.5".

Damn man…that’s your first meaningful contribution to this board in years. Nice work!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Extended products depict a continuation of Aleutian low/AK ridge well into December. Good sign as we move forward into early winter.

Webb responded to his tweet with something basically like “yup, called that December torch!” I wanna be like “Bra, did you even click the link??”

• Haha 10

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Webb responded to his tweet with something basically like “yup, called that December torch!” I wanna be like “Bra, did you even click the link??”

I see blues and reds in wat I think are good places, but I don't *really* know what I'm looking at (but at least I looked). :lol:

10 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Extended products depict a continuation of Aleutian low/AK ridge well into December. Good sign as we move forward into early winter.

4 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I see blues and reds in wat I think are good places, but I don't *really* know what I'm looking at (but at least I looked). :lol:

FWIW (not much), yesterdays GEFS extended has similarities around Xmas.

GGEM and Euro both have a pretty tasty setup around Saturday/Sunday. Neither really come together, but the players are there with a transient 50/50, fresh high coming in on top of low forming in the Plains and riding the thermal boundary eastward. Both models have another northern stream shortwave come in and mix everything up. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

FWIW (not much), yesterdays GEFS extended has similarities around Xmas.

Latest MJO forecasts- GEFS takes the wave into phase 3 as it rapidly weakens, and entering the COD as it gets to phase 4. Euro weakens it as it progresses through phase 2 and into the COD before phase 3. All the models on the CPC site have the convection suppressed at the end of Nov.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

GGEM and Euro both have a pretty tasty setup around Saturday/Sunday. Neither really come together, but the players are there with a transient 50/50, fresh high coming in on top of low forming in the Plains and riding the thermal boundary eastward. Both models have another northern stream shortwave come in and mix everything up. 

This is another thing I've ben watching - how the timing of waves plays with the injection of cold air. I'd sign on the dotted line right now if we could get a winter in which we have waves riding from the southwest along the thermal boundary and throwing moisture up and over fresh, cold airmasses. Easy 3-6"/4-8" without worrying about the mids torching as warm air screams in aloft from the south.

• Like 3

The El Nino is really spiking up right now, both on the surface and in the subsurface, passing +2.0 in Nino 3.4.  LR GEFS shows a healthy N. Pacific low:

https://ibb.co/xj57pjJ

But it also has some ridging in the NE from +NAO, that will need to be sorted out in future model runs (NAO region has been volatile at that range).

19 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Stats are how we kind of track correlation though arent they? I am almost 55 years old and have tracked winter since I was 9 or 10 years old. So while my sample size is small my stats are all I know. And what I know from my stats is if late November/Early December suck we are most likely screwed. Now this is MY observation of MY life. Does that really mean or matter anything to anyone else? Who knows. But snow is an IMBY game. It always has been. 

i feel like there's more of a correlation w/ the cold rather than the snow. like i think it'd be worth looking into if somebody looks at how winters turn out if it's cold in november/early dec since you won't always get snow w/ cold in the early season, especially with AGW where we get near perfect track rainstorms in the early season

As I said Sunday morning, a few changes would give many in our region 4 - 8 inches of snow tomorrow. The NWS establishes a base of support with a WWA with the retreating cold air source and LP into the Ohio Valley.  A terrible early season synoptic that chirps.

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=VAZ025&warncounty=VAC015&firewxzone=VAZ025&local_place1=4 Miles SSE Churchville VA&product1=Winter+Weather+Advisory&lat=38.1779&lon=-79.1425

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic