Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

The Alchemist

12 minutes ago, Maggie Valley Steve said:

Another chilly day in the Valley. My high for the day was 35 around 2 PM. Temperature has dropped back to freezing now and with ideal radiational cooling overnight, we likely will fall toward 20 by daybreak. 

Yep the same here. A high of 34 and current temp at 30 already.  Been a cold week.

• Like 2

18z NAM and RDPS seem wildly different at first glance. 

The NAM which probably has the more sensible solution has a more pronounced low west of the apps making it to almost the Holston River before transferring. The RDPS has nothing similar. It’s showing no lower pressure area cutting and a more miller A type of setup. Obviously this is why the RDPS is likely overdone and showing absurd amounts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BretWx said:

Unrelated, but approaching 13 years on here! Feel like I know y'all but don't at the same time. It has been fun my friends. 

mdWkrFN.png

Yup, that was when Eastern WX moved over to American WX. I started when Eastern WX got going around 01-02 or so when I was at APP. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BretWx said:

Unrelated, but approaching 13 years on here! Feel like I know y'all but don't at the same time. It has been fun my friends. 

mdWkrFN.png

I joined November of 2011. Crazy its been that long I've been on here. I've made 13,247 posts to current.  I'd like to think I founded the mountains thread when I got brave enough to start a new thread lol. It's been a great journey.  Teaching and learning on here a ton. It's been a pleasure posting with everyone.  

• Like 7

WWBB to Eastern then here, so 20+ years :lol: 

EDIT: Eastern came from WWBB and AMWX from Eastern. It's been a crazy ride and I can't believe that we've survived all these years. I've made so many friends here that have become family and have had some amazing memories :wub:  

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

Yup, that was when Eastern WX moved over to American WX. I started when Eastern WX got going around 01-02 or so when I was at APP. 

I remember you as one of the "originals"

Back then Burger, Griteater, Packbacker, Widreman and so many more. Some who have passed on I'm sure. It's a great community to be a part of.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, buckeyefan1 said:

WWBB to Eastern then here, so 20+ years :lol: 

EDIT: Eastern came from WWBB and AMWX from Eastern. It's been a crazy ride and I can't believe that we've survived all these years. I've made so many friends here that have become family and have had some amazing memories :wub:  

I also came from the old Eastern forum. We had some good times back then...... 

• Like 3

Been a minute for me, too.  I think it was during the Eastern days when I joined.  I was still teaching then (gone now 13 years). I was (and remain) fascinated by the weather; especially winter weather.  I was the "snow guy" at my high school.  Not a better resource than this community to up your weather street cred.  ;) Appreciate y'all.  

• Like 4

17 this morning in the Valley. My 3rd coldest morning of the Winter season so far. It has me thinking. That's some mighty chilly air to start the day and cirrus clouds are expected by noon limiting any daytime heating. It never got above 35 here yesterday with clear skies and light N winds. Maybe a surprise or two this evening into early tomorrow morning? I guess we will see!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Maggie Valley Steve said:

17 this morning in the Valley. My 3rd coldest morning of the Winter season so far. It has me thinking. That's some mighty chilly air to start the day and cirrus clouds are expected by noon limiting any daytime heating. It never got above 35 here yesterday with clear skies and light N winds. Maybe a surprise or two this evening into early tomorrow morning? I guess we will see!

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. A very cold start,  a frozen ground. This week has been pretty dang chilly and I think a pretty strong CAD signal especially with the temps and dry air we've seem this week.

• Like 2