Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

On 10/23/2023 at 2:21 PM, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah for many of us the 1980s reference is really mostly after the 83-84 winter through the 1991-92 winter which is something we should specify more often since any normal person would look at the entire decade....86-87 was spectacular over the interior (though I missed the majority of that one living in Texas at the time)....and '87-'88 was serviceable.

But the defining feature of the mid 1980s through early 1990s was the lack of blockbuster periods or winters to offset the absolute turds. '86-'87 was really the exception (and mostly January 1987 at that). Of course, anyone who is very familiar with SNE first order climo knows also about the 10 year streak where Boston failed to record a 12"+ snowstorm....a stretch that started after the February 1983 KU event and ended with the March 1993 Superstorm. That brutal period also includes the only time that ORH did not record a 10"+ storm in 3 consecutive winters....and they actually managed to do it for 4 in a row ('88-'89 through '91-'92) just to make sure we all knew. :lol:

Couple of questions for you on this:

1) When you say "interior" is that simply away from the coast, or is it more defined with regard to Northern, Southern and Central New England?  I know those areas require annual definitions and imagine as the first snows start falling the maps clarifying that will come out.  I could use a refresher myself...

2) I recall one winter when my brother and I trekked through some deep snows in the woods in our backyard.  Based on some milestones we both remember, he's thinking it was 1987 or 1988.  Mostly because he thinks it was "around the time we got Simon's Quest and The Adventure of Link" :D.  I feel like we were in easily 12-24" of snow but we were kids and it could've been less, but still reasonably deep.  We were living near MHT at the time.  Was the only real chance for this January of 1987 or could it have been 1988?

25 minutes ago, Layman said:

Couple of questions for you on this:

1) When you say "interior" is that simply away from the coast, or is it more defined with regard to Northern, Southern and Central New England?  I know those areas require annual definitions and imagine as the first snows start falling the maps clarifying that will come out.  I could use a refresher myself...

2) I recall one winter when my brother and I trekked through some deep snows in the woods in our backyard.  Based on some milestones we both remember, he's thinking it was 1987 or 1988.  Mostly because he thinks it was "around the time we got Simon's Quest and The Adventure of Link" :D.  I feel like we were in easily 12-24" of snow but we were kids and it could've been less, but still reasonably deep.  We were living near MHT at the time.  Was the only real chance for this January of 1987 or could it have been 1988?

Jan of '87. I was in the MHT area then, and there was a solid 2'+ pack that Jan into Feb

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

Jan of '87. I was in the MHT area then, and there was a solid 2'+ pack that Jan into Feb

I'm glad weather like this is what has stuck with me through the years from my childhood.  I do remember the brown grass, deep cold and just "wanting it to snow!" but fortunately those deep days are the ones I remember best.  

17 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Don’t remember… I was 7

Missed the good stretch ( exception of 94-95) from 92-96. Probably don't recall that shitty 97-00 seasons luckily. 98-99 was ok where you are.

Then you became a burgeoning weenie after '02 I bet when you probably started to remember more events/seasons as you got older. No wonder you get cranky. Growing up during the atmospheric and sports euphoria. Welcome back to our childhood. No snow and loserville. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Not around here they haven't been....the dryness is the ultimate killer over interior SNE for winter snowfall.

For ORH, the 1984-1992 period had 4 (!!) winters below 40" including a low of 28.1" in 1988-89. In the past decade, they have had zero winters below 40" with a low of 44.9" in 2019-2020.

Even a warmer spot like KBOS saw a much worse streak as well....1984-1992 for BOS had 5(!!!) winters below 30" with 3(!!) below 20". In the past decade, they've seen 3 winters below 30" with 2 of them below 20"....and you could probably write off one of those below 30" as fake since it was the year when they measured on Deer Island sewer plant and recorded 27.4" when everyone else had at least 35"+ around them. The only futility BOS excelled at in the most recent decade compared to the 1980s was the lowest season was slightly lower (12.4" last year vs 15.1" in '88-89)....but overall, that 1984-1992 period was a lot worse.

I wasn’t necessarily just talking about snow totals. From what I’ve gathered from folks here at least there was cold around in those awful years.

what I meant from the lows are lower comment is when we have a bad season now, there seems to be not only a lack of snow, but lack of cold and generally any winter like weather.

18 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I wasn’t necessarily just talking about snow totals. From what I’ve gathered from folks here at least there was cold around in those awful years.

what I meant from the lows are lower comment is when we have a bad season now, there seems to be not only a lack of snow, but lack of cold and generally any winter like weather.

We’ve also been disproportionately warm compared to many other areas of the country as well. No doubt a CC signal in the background, but there’s definitely some short term fluctuations that are enhancing the background signal compared to the Plains for example. 

47 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We’ve also been disproportionately warm compared to many other areas of the country as well. No doubt a CC signal in the background, but there’s definitely some short term fluctuations that are enhancing the background signal compared to the Plains for example. 

Even going up north during the 80s wasn't all that great. Went to Sugarloaf in the early 80s and they had a lousy pack and icy conditions. I don't think we saw snow on the ground until we were an hour away from the mountain. That's when I learned to ski on ice.

10 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Even going up north during the 80s wasn't all that great. Went to Sugarloaf in the early 80s and they had a lousy pack and icy conditions. I don't think we saw snow on the ground until we were an hour away from the mountain. That's when I learned to ski on ice.

I used to hear a lot of that. Crappy skiing conditions. Probably from the cutters lol.

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

Probably the Feb 2010 event. Isles of Shoals into S NH had damaging gusts. 

I pretty sure that event triggered a tropospheric fold on that ESE jet nose.  Check that but I read that somewhere.  We actually had some nasty gusts even here in that but just below damaging.

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Haven’t seen any discussion of the cold shot next week as models continue the slow but steady back off. Truly hope this is not the same thing that happens this winter. 7-10 cold / snow morphing into meh 

It’s on track.  Enjoy the Indian summer, then we step down again. 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

So then discuss the details . Cold all week, freezes for all, first flakes etc., what does it look like? Instead of 70 posts on old snow events .. let’s discuss the future 

Nothing exciting to me so it really isn’t worth the discussion. Maybe a good cold shot Halloween aftn into Thursday or so.