Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nothing will have died from an hour at a fake 31. Most all of your plants will have made it 

We done. Everything has already gone dormant. My potted figs and mulberries already dropped leaves the past few days. I brought the hanging petunias in last night. The banana in the run will be done. The large leaves were all iced up. 

But yeah, I don’t think I ever said this was a major killing morning? I brought the avocados in, but they probably would’ve been okay. It was more the point about how we define the growing season. Technically, we done. 

25 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Same here.

Where do you find that PSU min/max 6-hour surface temp map you often post?

Under surface make your own the plotting page is there. Then I just use 6hr range of min or max temps. But you need to make sure your plot time aligns with when they report…00,06,12,18z.

edit…looks like the maps aren’t generating properly right now

• Thanks 1

I thought this was an October event, but I'm not so sure...Maybe some of you will know when this hit:

Highly confident it was 2010.  Thought it was October but when searching it looks like it could've been February 25-26, 2010.  Some storm rolled through this area and I was awake for the strongest, longest and loudest wind I have ever experienced.  Fully convinced the roof was coming off my house.  I know there's an affinity for some here that enjoy, encourage and wish for damage but that's no beuno for me, especially after experiencing this particular event.  

I was laying in bed, don't recall the time, but the wind was absolutely howling outside.  A constant buffeting with house shaking gusts.  We built only 5 years prior so we weren't dealing with an old New England farmhouse rattling around or anything like that.  Regardless the house was taking a beating.  At some point I heard a big gust coming.  It started off like a typical strong wind does when you can hear it, it builds, then peaks and relaxes.  This one built, and built and continued building, shaking the whole house until it seemed to me the roof was shaking.  I was 100% expecting to see it lift up and fly away and be staring at the sky like in a movie.  It seemed like forever that the wind kept blowing and it finally subsided.  Power was already out at that point but I found out the next day how bad it was.

Somewhere afterwards I saw that a 90mph gust was recorded either at Pease Tradeport or Adams Point.  That gust tore across Great Bay and passed within a short distance from my house.  The trees are still all uprooted in it's path and you can see them from the road where they were simply cut at the edge of the road where they lay.  Took down power lines and poles along my whole road.  Six full days without power.  No access out of the road until late in the afternoon the day after.  

I remember it being cold but don't really recall snow.  I thought this happened in October but maybe it was February?  I joined some neighbors with an army of chainsaws to try and cut a path out of the road.  We did what we could on our end but there was a massive pine that came down that no residents had the equipment to deal with.  Not really sure how other states faired during this storm because we were focused on getting power back and didn't really hear much outside news.  

Anyone know for sure when this might've been? October, February or ???

20 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Record gust at PWM too. 78 mph before the power to the sensor cut out. 

ISON3 and Cape Elizabeth both topped 90 mph.

LLJ ripped into SNH and srn ME. If you are gonna rain while NYC sees a blizzard....may as well get some damage out of it. 

I recall that never being talked about until literally that day. It seemed like nobody really cared or believed what may happen. I was with my co-worker and we looked at 850 winds (modeled around 100kts IIRC) and just looked at each other and wondered why we had few headlines about it.

I also think that is the highest surge (may have been topped since then?) at BOS Harbor. It was low tide and the tide barely went out. However the winds weren't nearly as bad as far NE MA into SNH and srn ME. 

59 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Here are the mins. Those who clouded over before 2am may not have their coolest temp represented (see PF and MVL)

image.gif

It was even raining briefly this morning.

We have not yet this fall been able to get a full night of radiational cooling; several times it’s been super cold for 9pm standards and then it just sits or rises after midnight.

Poor timing leading to really late freeze.

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

LLJ ripped into SNH and srn ME. If you are gonna rain while NYC sees a blizzard....may as well get some damage out of it. 

I recall that never being talked about until literally that day. It seemed like nobody really cared or believed what may happen. I was with my co-worker and we looked at 850 winds (modeled around 100kts IIRC) and just looked at each other and wondered why we had few headlines about it.

I also think that is the highest surge (may have been topped since then?) at BOS Harbor. It was low tide and the tide barely went out. However the winds weren't nearly as bad as far NE MA into SNH and srn ME. 

I wasn't at GYX yet, but IIRC there was some influence of the bent back warm front. It was definitely not a typical southeaster strong wind event, but more northeasterly.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It was even raining briefly this morning.

We have not yet this fall been able to get a full night of radiational cooling; several times it’s been super cold for 9pm standards and then it just sits or rises after midnight.

Poor timing leading to really late freeze.

Lots of panic over these "firsts", but I think timing has a lot to do with it and they aren't necessarily a predictor of winter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

I wasn't at GYX yet, but IIRC there was some influence of the bent back warm front. It was definitely not a typical southeaster strong wind event, but more northeasterly.

I guess I can look back, but I recall the low (or maybe a meso low) made landfall and really enhanced the jet to the north of it. 

25 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I remember thinking that at least the wind component was unexpected.  Either I was too distracted at the time to pay attention to what the weather was going to be or it simply wasn't broadcast as being as potent as it ended up being.  

While I don't like the high winds and potential damage, that is the part of weather that remains intriguing to me - regardless of what's forecast, it can change up and deliver something unexpected.  

Just now, Layman said:

I remember thinking that at least the wind component was unexpected.  Either I was too distracted at the time to pay attention to what the weather was going to be or it simply wasn't broadcast as being as potent as it ended up being.  

While I don't like the high winds and potential damage, that is the part of weather that remains intriguing to me - regardless of what's forecast, it can change up and deliver something unexpected.  

My old boss lived in Exeter at the time and he got leveled. Trees all over.

19 hours ago, kdxken said:

Just dry brown leaves.

20231023_135820.jpg

Over the past weekend I ended up north or Concord, NH and also down into eastern CT.  Even though it was gray and rainy most of the time, it looked like normal Fall throughout with nice colors everywhere.  It's still a little drab around my property and always feels "late" for some reason, but based on past pictures I have it seems to be right on schedule.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Lots of panic over these "firsts", but I think timing has a lot to do with it and they aren't necessarily a predictor of winter.

Oh absolutely. For the record, not panicked in any way and hope it’s never insinuated it’s a predictive indicator.

Its just a very interesting climo stat we’ve got going.  Plenty of folks locally asking me about it as the growing season is still on and they know it’s very late.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, some kind of warm seclusion to get an equally strong NE LLJ. Not something we see too often.

I think we saw that in March 2010 as well down by NYC. Similar idea. This was the event that kick started the flooding in SNE. Maybe to some extent that October 2021 storm in SE MA? Obviously we know it happened with Sandy. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Oh absolutely. For the record, not panicked in any way and hope it’s never insinuated it’s a predictive indicator.

Its just a very interesting climo stat we’ve got going.  Plenty of folks locally asking me about it as the growing season is still on and they know it’s very late.

But the problem is there are some that think exactly that(indicative).