Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter outlook 2023-24 for DC area

WEATHER53

Temps: -1

Snowfall:14-18” for DCA, IAD, BWI

Have two months at a 75% probability of being -2 and one month with a 66% probability of being +1.  Will follow Nino pattern and go with Jan and Feb as -2

Primary analog years:1953-54 and 1985-86

Secondary analog years with first two having more weight: 1986-87 and 2010-11.  Also 1954-55, 1980-81, 1983-84, 1991-92, 2019-20.

Couple  of lousy years, some solid cold ones, major storms not showing up.  Might battle suppression this year.  At least way better than last few. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

Temps: -1

Snowfall:14-18” for DCA, IAD, BWI

Have two months at a 75% probability of being -2 and one month with a 66% probability of being +1.  Will follow Nino pattern and go with Jan and Feb as -2

Primary analog years:1953-54 and 1985-86

Secondary analog years with first two having more weight: 1986-87 and 2010-11.  Also 1954-55, 1980-81, 1983-84, 1991-92, 2019-20.

Couple  of lousy years, some solid cold ones, major storms not showing up.  Might battle suppression this year.  At least way better than last few. 

I'll GLADLY take a repeat of 86-87 winter, especially Jan and Feb. 

• Like 2

Mid Atlantic is wayyyyyyyyy OVERDUE for a massive snow winter.

And, it is coming. BIG-TIME! In spades! Get your Jebman Shovels. massive amounts of grub and IPA's and whatever it is you drink to stay awake. Models will be printing out a TON of heavy snow for DC and vicinity.

How do you know this?

Jeb said so.

That's ALL you need to know.

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, Jebman said:

It's fixed.

DC will get demolished by a massively White Christmas.

Everyone in the Washington DC Metropolitan Region will get snowed in and will get unprecedentedly DRUNK.

If ONLY!

I'll take my chances at 24"+ near Mason Dixon line, DC can have their 2" rain at 33F! :P

Nothing is worse than snow to sleet to ZR.  Snow or bust.  And fluffy stuff at 15"+ per 1" liquid.  Slop is bad too.

White Christmas would be a real treat.  Imagine if Jan 23, 2016 was December 24, 2023.  Grass covered by nightfall, wake up to thunder with a foot on the ground and by the time ham/turkey comes out of oven the death bands are still cranking with upwards of three feet on the ground.  Boxing day is crisp in the lower 20s and everything is just buried.  Everywhere.  A Knickerbocker class storm on Christmas day.  That would be one to remember for life.  For now it's just a (distant) dream.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Stormfly said:

If ONLY!

I'll take my chances at 24"+ near Mason Dixon line, DC can have their 2" rain at 33F! :P

Nothing is worse than snow to sleet to ZR.  Snow or bust.  And fluffy stuff at 15"+ per 1" liquid.  Slop is bad too.

White Christmas would be a real treat.  Imagine if Jan 23, 2016 was December 24, 2023.  Grass covered by nightfall, wake up to thunder with a foot on the ground and by the time ham/turkey comes out of oven the death bands are still cranking with upwards of three feet on the ground.  Boxing day is crisp in the lower 20s and everything is just buried.  Everywhere.  A Knickerbocker class storm on Christmas day.  That would be one to remember for life.  For now it's just a (distant) dream.

We have a winnah. That, is just what IS going to happen in DCA THIS Christmas! Mason Dixon will get 40-50 inches and DC will get 28-40 inches of snow. It will not change to liquid. It will be all snow. It will be very cold then Part 2 will annihilate the DC region AGAIN on New Years Eve! These snow amounts may turn out to be ridiculously conservative.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jeb or others, would it need to snow to get that result? 

Seriously, this current cool, blocked low-energy pattern augurs well for intervals of chilly weather in winter too, with chances for snow. I would be predicting about what the OP was saying, not as sure about which parts of winter will be coldest, it could be intervals in each of DEC, JAN, FEB and into early spring too. I hope there is about 25-30" snow rather than the plausible sounding 18" but I don't see big snowfalls, just a steady trickle of low totals in 3-5 inch range. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mattie g said:

CanSIPS has always been a more reliable seasonal model.

I'm all in...until its September 30 run. That's probably when I'll be out.

It is generally better. I made the post wrt to the discussion above regarding Dec being a winter month anymore.. white Xmas or torch. CanSIPS at least suggests a chance of the former, CFS not so much.

11 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It is generally better. I made the post wrt to the discussion above regarding Dec being a winter month anymore.. white Xmas or torch. CanSIPS at least suggests a chance of the former, CFS not so much.

Gotcha. Yeah...we've torched hard in December recently (aside from late December last year), but agree that it's either that or a pleasantly surprising white December.

That said, last CanSIPS was a weenie run. Would be nice to see it go that way again in a few days.

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Gotcha. Yeah...we've torched hard in December recently (aside from late December last year), but agree that it's either that or a pleasantly surprising white December.

That said, last CanSIPS was a weenie run. Would be nice to see it go that way again in a few days.

It has had the favorable Nino h5 look for multiple runs, with the last 2 being especially weenie. Would be a bad sign if it bailed now when we are actually sniffing winter.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It has had the favorable Nino h5 look for multiple runs, with the last 2 being especially weenie. Would be a bad sign if it bailed now when we are actually sniffing winter.

I believe the seasonal modelas have the best look since 15-16, however,  wondering if the polar state changes late Fall despite the early favorablre look up top due to the increased water vapor injecting at the high lattitudes causing a possible colder general look up top with less blocking. Otherwise, hopeful at this time.  

• Like 1

Objectively, this winter is sort of fascinating with the mix of forcings that are happening. Nino, -QBO, high strat water vapor from HT-HH eruption, insanely warm oceans from the underwater volcanoes, etc. Will definitely be papers written about this year. I don’t have a strong feeling for how it all shakes out besides thinking we’ll average DJF above normal temps and probably wetter than normal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Objectively, this winter is sort of fascinating with the mix of forcings that are happening. Nino, -QBO, high strat water vapor from HT-HH eruption, insanely warm oceans from the underwater volcanoes, etc. Will definitely be papers written about this year. I don’t have a strong feeling for how it all shakes out besides thinking we’ll average DJF above normal temps and probably wetter than normal. 

Having an active STJ improves chances for favorable storm tracks in our region, so that is a check if the atmosphere behaves in a Nino-ish way. We need some help in the HLs and the -QBO is at least suggestive that we won't see a raging +AO/NAO.  Even if those indices are neutral, we can get cold air delivery via the EPO. No idea on impacts due to higher WV in the strat. As usual snow chances will come down to wave timing and how much cold is available. After 3 straight Ninas and NS dominance, at least this will be a roll of the dice that is historically more in our favor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

34 and rain for days.

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

Having an active STJ improves chances for favorable storm tracks in our region, so that is a check if the atmosphere behaves in a Nino-ish way. We need some help in the HLs and the -QBO is at least suggestive that we won't see a raging +AO/NAO.  Even if those indices are neutral, we can get cold air delivery via the EPO. No idea on impacts due to higher WV in the strat. As usual snow chances will come down to wave timing and how much cold is available. After 3 straight Ninas and NS dominance, at least this will be a roll of the dice that is historically more in our favor.

regardless of the CanSIPS, the analogs that I put together (which are similar to those of my colleagues) have quite the warm Dec followed by a transitional Jan and pretty weenie Feb. so I wouldn't be worried if December wasn't great

image.png.f5b62f3440be6dbc1ac0dd7363aa601e.pngimage.png.b51fbe9b7f7b8269151345592da7c680.pngimage.png.e706928a470045ac112a7ee5d0b18c83.png

• Like 5