• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Lee--Glorified Nor'Easter or Legit Tropical? Near Miss or Direct Hit?

WxWatcher007

13 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Not denying it wouldn’t suck afterwards…but I’d take my chances.  I think you’d be pretty excited if a big one was on the way, even knowing it would suck afterwards.  I know I would. 

Excited, well maybe but again people really have no clue how devastating it would be. Remember 1938 was only 18 years of forest growth as most of New England was farm land in the 20s. Not to mention the pop boom and shitty infrastructure. I mean I have the means to survive and am prepared but I am afraid the majority are not. There are risk management studies out there that show what would happen,  its not pretty. Your excitement would die within days and be replaced with dread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

I'm surprised to see no lines for gas and Hannaford is empty. 

@dryslotduring the noontime news broadcast one of the local mets showed sustained around 40mph from mid morning until early evening for you and I. I bet we see some gusts in the mid 50s.

I'm sure we will see some G50's, Going to be track dependent though, If this keeps ticking east, We will be in the far outer bands, Its almost starting to like we miss the bulk of the rain too.

Lee’s living up to expectations surf wise on Long Island. Definitely once a decade conditions currently. 10-12’ sets with a couple 15 footers. The beach is completely washed over to the boardwalk. Tomorrow will be pretty much all time. I barely made the paddle out today so I’ll have to look for protection tomorrow. The next three high tides will do some major erosion as we have already lost about 10 feet of beach. 

18 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

I'm surprised to see no lines for gas and Hannaford is empty. 

@dryslotduring the noontime news broadcast one of the local mets showed sustained around 40mph from mid morning until early evening for you and I. I bet we see some gusts in the mid 50s.

I think if westward trends had continued it'd be a different story.

Even so, the media hasn't been overblowing it, and Mainers are more hardy and self sufficient compared to SNE (not the posters here, just in general).  We've dealt with winds like this before - albeit without full sets of leaves and saturated ground.

I'll be interested to see if anyone with waterfront property is making preparations.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

My bestfriend/roommate from college got a job on TV in Portland several months back (his second stint in Maine). He's pretty pumped...he's going to get to do live storm coverage. He's gone out in some snowstorms but his first taste with tropical. 

Would that be Jason?

2 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Even so, the media hasn't been overblowing it, and Mainers are more hardy and self sufficient compared to SNE (not the posters here, just in general).  We've dealt with winds like this before - albeit without full sets of leaves and saturated ground.

I'll be interested to see if anyone with waterfront property is making preparations.  

I brought my snow shovel in from my porch. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Roger said:

Would that be Jason?

Nappi?  that guy is a marble-mouthed-moron. arguably the worst in the market.

1 minute ago, WeatherHappens said:

I brought my snow shovel in from my porch. 

ha, I'm talking about up here.  surprised you still had it out after last (non) winter.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Mainers lose power like the rest of us on the reg,some cope others not so much.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Mainers lose power like the rest of us on the reg,some cope others not so much.

I had also said this would be silly to wish for a hurricane. I agree that it would be very exciting, however, I ventured a guess that people would love it. Don't have a house that they own or worry about damage to their property. If they do have a house and they don't care about that, more power to em. I stopped saying anything because people blast you when you say it's silly to wish for something that would devastate the area. 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

You guys check out the radius of damaging winds?. How far is it from Eaatport to you

I'm 200 miles from Eastport. The variable for damage here is wind direction and any downslope enhancement from the Whites. Fryeburg may gust higher than me. Not trying to downplay, there's gonna be outages and property damage but it's a hard forecast for mby. And obviously there's lot of time for this to go either direction. Model consensus right now says NAM is too far west. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

What happens if by chance the HRRR finds a nut? No need to tell me it's a crap model. I already know but damn

hrrr_ref_frzn_neus_48.png

11 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Still over 36 hrs out, Even a few ticks back to the west increases things.

lol, Just got done saying this, Congrats Eastport.

65034ad55eb90.png

• Like 1