Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Banter 2023

George BM

Just now, GATECH said:

I am thinking you replace tropical rum with some mid latitude vodka, maybe continental grain alcohol…but keep the passion fruit because it still has some tropical characteristics.

Now that would work!  Maybe toss in some ice as well to make it just a bit away from the tropics!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Damn, that's perfect!  You caught all the great sunset colors, from purple to red to orange and yellow!

It was pretty special. Best sunset is still as Dorian was approaching NC. Never seen anything like it before or since. 

Edit: this is also from last week lol

WAWraEp.jpg

PLrGPzO.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, GATECH said:

So what are people drinking tonight.  I am experimenting with some new fall bourbon cocktails.  I need a signature cocktail for thanksgiving and figured this would be a good weekend to practice.  Anyone have any favorites?

Fall old-fashioned. Go O’s!!

And, yes, stellar last sunset of the summer!

• Like 1

Medium to strong El Nino PLUS abnormally elevated sea surface temps.

It's starting.

Eastern Seaboard will get smashed BAD by recurrent rains throughout low sun season.

Does not take very much to spin up one of these Ophelias, or just a casual low pressure system that gets going, strengthens off the warm Gulf Stream waters, and then conveniently slows down.

The soils will get saturated. Everywhere. Then we will enter a brand new era, a time of near constant flood watches, near-constant flood warnings. Might need a new Flood Intensity Scale.

When we reach the phase change weather, when it changes to snow, look out commutageddon, after commutageddon, after commutageddon, after commutageddon.

You'll see a ton of fight vids on YouTube. People fighting over parking spaces, fighting in rage over plows piling 9 foot snow berms over driveway entrances.

You might not realize this now, snow enthusiasts, but digging the wet snow is going to get tedious, especially when a little rain gets on it. The Nino will not spare. It will be storm after storm after storm after storm, floods in freezing cold winter weather, ice, and even more torrential snow. People not being able to get to work, people slippin on ice and going to the hospital, and the Nino plus abnormally warm ocean temps globally will just keep on piling storm upon storm. Pineapple Expresses and atmospheric rivers will have Gulf and deep Pacific connections and will just pile it on and on and on.

Models are showing the Southeast gets the very worst of the Nino. Texas gets December, after that it shifts to the Southeast and rains and rains. All kinds of abnormal storms will crash into the Southeast and flood them to death, right into July 2024. They might even get demolished by snows in deep winter! They will have many chances to time storms down there.

On 9/21/2023 at 9:46 AM, Bob Chill said:

Hey wx fam! Been a nutty year for me. Been wantin to update longtime wx geek friends but time keeps slippin.... until today

I spend 75% of my time in sw VA now lol Became good friends with the contractor who did the initial clearing on our tract of land. We started working together and it clicked immediately. I've had more fun running heavy equipment in the last 4 months than I did my entire 20+ office career lol. 

Wife and I are aiming to sell Rockville in mid spring and we're building everything in VA ourselves. Buddy I'm working with has his homebuilders license so we're going to do it together. Have plans now but need a VA architect for mods and final. PM me if anyone knows a fair one. And by fair I mean it's a simple plan with simple mods. Don't be thinking new BMW cuz I already talked to you and laughed behind your back hahaha

I've done so much chainsaw milling in my free time I'm ready for a bandsaw mill with 20' of track. I'm allowed to mill my own hardwood beams for construction framing. So cool. Can't wait. House will be framed with the red oaks i haveto clear for the home site.

I built an outhouse entirely with a chainsaw mill and basic tools in my spare time lol. Dropped every tree and turned it into a building. Lol. Never in a zillion years would i have guessed this path 5 years ago. 

I've been slowly restoring the 1967 Massey Ferguson diesel tractor I bought last winter. That thing is bombproof. Runs perfect and I beat on it all the time. Chipping, hauling, grading, and dragging stuff is a typical week. Never complains. I'll be done painting the wheels within 2 weeks. Everything works like it did out of the factory. Prob another 50 years of hard service ahead. What a trip lol

20230921_101058.jpg

Absolutely IMPRESSIVE! You sure have a ton of skillsets!

8 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Bull pen is taxed.  

8 runs should be enough to win.

Missing Bautista badly.

Cano is not a closer 

100% on the pen being taxed. Cano is out of his role. This is a solid team but that pen needs some relief and I don't know where it comes from.

I hope they don't rush Bautista back but you can see they're toying with the idea.

58 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

It’s ridiculous that the O’s have 17 game stretch in the last month of the season.

8 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Yup. Absolute BS scheduling. 

It’s brutal for sure. And it’s showing. They’re limping into the playoffs. Need to win the division and get that bye desperately so they can reset. Rays got merced last night with injuries, so they’re also breaking down at the end. Last team standing wins.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

It’s brutal for sure. And it’s showing. They’re limping into the playoffs. Need to win the division and get that bye desperately so they can reset. Rays got merced last night with injuries, so they’re also breaking down at the end. Last team standing wins.

We likely caught a break playing that four game series against the Rays as they were finishing up their own 17 straight game stretch. The difference though is their pitching depth. They are better equipped for that kind of schedule.

I wish that the O’s had addressed the pitching a little more at the trade deadline. Flaherty hasn’t been good, but maybe he can offer us some long relief today. Means can’t, or shouldn’t go more than 80 pitches. And hopefully we get a quality start from Gibson tomorrow.

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

We likely caught a break playing that four game series against the Rays as they were finishing up their own 17 straight game stretch. The difference though is their pitching depth. They are better equipped for that kind of schedule.

I wish that the O’s had addressed the pitching a little more at the trade deadline. Flaherty hasn’t been good, but maybe he can offer us some long relief today. Means can’t, or shouldn’t go more than 80 pitches. And hopefully we get a quality start from Gibson tomorrow.

Does it seem that they are relying on matchups when playing the relievers?  Too many times you see a guy come in for the 6th, and handle the order with no issues to only to face 3 batters.  maybe they should let them stay to start the next inning would allow them to conserve some of the arms.  I didn't play baseball past the 7th grade, but think I know enough about the sport to think that the revolving door from the bullpen could be causing this issue. 

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Means needs to go at least 6. Biggest start of his career. But last night they got snake bitten. Some poor fielding on bad luck plays. Santander and Henderson make those plays Os win.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toolsheds said:

Does it seem that they are relying on matchups when playing the relievers?  Too many times you see a guy come in for the 6th, and handle the order with no issues to only to face 3 batters.  maybe they should let them stay to start the next inning would allow them to conserve some of the arms.  I'm not a baseball guy, but it just seems that the revolving door from the bullpen is causing this issue. 

I think that’s typical, and it’s probably not as bad overall this year with the rule that pitchers have to face three batters unless they end an inning. Someone more knowledgeable than me might have more to say, but I think the biggest problem for the O’s is that most, if not all of their pitchers are in uncharted area. They’ve never pitched this many innings. They’ve almost all over performed at some point this season but as @Chris78 said, they are taxed. Hopefully they can win the division and get a week of rest. Otherwise, I don’t think they’ll go very deep into the playoffs.

Regardless, it has been a fantastic year, but it would be disappointing to get this close to the division title and not be able to take advantage of the advantages that come with that.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 11:25 AM, Bob Chill said:

Well... I was doing a really slow uturn in a driveway down the road and there was a nice gate that was open. No problem except I bumped the steel gate by the lower hinge on the post and it ripped out like tinfoil. Lol. I mean I barely felt it. Hahaha

Eta: it was no hit and run either. Folks were standing there complimenting my tractor. Yea... it wasn't too fun

I missed all of this, sounds like you're having an awesome time Bob, congrats! Can't wait to see the final build!

• mappy unpinned this topic