Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,541
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Gonzalez Brittany
    Newest Member
    Gonzalez Brittany
    Joined

September Banter 2023


George BM
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, mattie g said:

Just picked up a 4-pack of My Only Friend, a recently released BA stout from Ocelot. Looking forward to cracking one on Saturday!

Ocelot is one of my favorite local brewers....one of their best recent offerings was an excellent IPA collab with Solace (another awesome local brewer) last year, for which they secured the rights to use the images of Sterling Archer and one of his regular nemeses, Babou the Ocelot, on the can label...  :D 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Ocelot is one of my favorite local brewers....one of their best recent offerings was an excellent IPA collab with Solace (another awesome local brewer) last year, for which they secured the rights to use the images of Sterling Archer and one of his regular nemeses, Babou the Ocelot, on the can label...  :D 

Danger Zone?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Wxtrix said:

guess who is starting the drive to Myrtle Beach tomorrow? ugh. just ugh.

But...if y'all leave early enough, you SHOULD clear the worst effects of Ophelia by midday to mid-afternoon. I mean...it WILL suck with windshield wipers doing double-speed, at least some of the time. But just remember the prize that awaits you at your destination...and enjoy.

My wife and I are heading to MB the week of Thanksgiving, to make some of our final "neigborhood shopping" decisions, prior to a final move there in the next 1-2 years. We've been making that Thanksgiving week trip for the past several years and as always...CAN'T WAIT.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another great way to experience tomorrow's wind/rain event is to sign up for tomorrow morning's Lake Anna Triathlon, which is still on as of noon today

"Good Morning Giant Acorn Athletes! Yes, we are watching the weather and yes the race is still on. Currently at Lake Anna they are calling for winds out of the north and rain. The Olympic swim will be 2 loops to keep athletes closer to shore. If we need to modify the event further we will. Keeping athletes safe while racing is what we do. Bring layers and a positive mindset! #gokinetic

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mappy said:

At least the storm will move out quickly and it won't ruin the whole week! have a great time! post pics

thanks! it should be nice starting Sunday. i will post pics and thanks for the Wicked Tuna recommendation.

30 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

But...if y'all leave early enough, you SHOULD clear the worst effects of Ophelia by midday to mid-afternoon. I mean...it WILL suck with windshield wipers doing double-speed, at least some of the time. But just remember the prize that awaits you at your destination...and enjoy.

My wife and I are heading to MB the week of Thanksgiving, to make some of our final "neigborhood shopping" decisions, prior to a final move there in the next 1-2 years. We've been making that Thanksgiving week trip for the past several years and as always...CAN'T WAIT.

we’re going to stop in Rocky Mount for the night. now that we’re older it’s nice to break up a long drive and to try local restaurants.

we’ve never been to MB so it’s going to be fun (especially seeing family). good luck on the neighborhood shopping—we’ve been doing that in the Keys. it’s fun!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Wxtrix said:

we’re going to stop in Rocky Mount for the night. now that we’re older it’s nice to break up a long drive and to try local restaurants.

we’ve never been to MB so it’s going to be fun (especially seeing family). good luck on the neighborhood shopping—we’ve been doing that in the Keys. it’s fun!

Well then I am doubly happy for you all, if you've never visited MB! I think you will really enjoy the variety of eating and entertainment options, and if you're seeing family...ALL the better!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Getting lazy and especially cheap in my old age, but rather than buying too expensive white whiskey and infusing with apples and pears this fall, I bought a lousy 1.75L Jim Beam Apple whiskey and made my own brown sugar and cinnamon stick simple syrup for my fall old fashioned. I had to give one a try before heading out to cut the grass and it’s darn good. Not as good as the infused whiskey but it’ll do!

Looking forward to sitting on the porch this weekend!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Getting lazy and especially cheap in my old age, but rather than buying too expensive white whiskey and infusing with apples and pears this fall, I bought a lousy 1.75L Jim Beam Apple whiskey and made my own brown sugar and cinnamon stick simple syrup for my fall old fashioned. I had to give one a try before heading out to cut the grass and it’s darn good. Not as good as the infused whiskey but it’ll do!

Looking forward to sitting on the porch this weekend!

Walked into the VA ABC store to browse yesterday...and was honestly surprised at all of the flavored options for whiskey now. I mean, there's been a lot of options for flavored vodka for sometime now, but WOW. I'm intrigued by your Jim Beam homebrew option...  :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GATECH said:

So what are people drinking tonight.  I am experimenting with some new fall bourbon cocktails.  I need a signature cocktail for thanksgiving and figured this would be a good weekend to practice.  Anyone have any favorites?

Not cocktails -- not yet anyway! -- but Mrs. VAStOfMd made a Wegmans run and picked up some Southern Tier Warlock and Pumking beers for the weekend. Our absolutely TOP favorite autumn timeframe IPAs in the whole wide world.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Not cocktails -- not yet anyway! -- but Mrs. VAStOfMd made a Wegmans run and picked up some Southern Tier Warlock and Pumking beers for the weekend. Our absolutely TOP favorite autumn timeframe IPAs in the whole wide world.

Nice!  I love Southern Tier!  Mrs. GATECH has gone pumpkin spicearific…she ran to Trader Joe’s and got everything pumpkin spice…it’s a phase that shall pass in a week or so…I even found her a pumpkin spice bourbon old fashioned which I shall conjour up for her tomorrow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, aldie 22 said:

I was in Philly the last two days...shithole..taking amtrak home now...heading to Wisconsin...shithole...on Monday wondering if air traffic will be messed up. The train is a great way to travel by the way total low stress way

Stay true to form and admit that Aldie is a shithole, too.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GATECH said:

So what are people drinking tonight.  I am experimenting with some new fall bourbon cocktails.  I need a signature cocktail for thanksgiving and figured this would be a good weekend to practice.  Anyone have any favorites?

Peacharine Dry-Hopped Pseudo Sue from Toppling Goliath and The Common from Trillium...so far.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wife just booked us a house right next to the mountaintop village at Snowshoe for the four-day Fairfax County Schools weekend at the beginning of November - four nights and two full days in total.

This is the first time we've had a long weekend as a family other than visiting the in-laws in HHI. Shooting to just enjoy the post-leaf fall scenery, a few hikes, and some time away. Hoping for some early-season flakes while we're there!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

Shouldn’t people be drinking hurricanes?

 

1 hour ago, GATECH said:

Well by the time it gets here, we will be drinking extra-Tropical Cyclones….working on the recipe now!

I'm afraid if I drank a full capacity hurricane right now, I'd be a serious tropical depression by midnight and all day tomorrow as my own eye(wall) collapses, hahaha!!!  I do have a couple of Pat O'Brien's hurricane glasses from years ago, still!

I'd be curious what an "extra-tropical cyclone" drink would involve!!!

Settling for some wine tonight...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, GATECH said:

Nice!  I love Southern Tier!  Mrs. GATECH has gone pumpkin spicearific…she ran to Trader Joe’s and got everything pumpkin spice…it’s a phase that shall pass in a week or so…I even found her a pumpkin spice bourbon old fashioned which I shall conjour up for her tomorrow.

Now that sounds like some tasty stuff!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

 

I'm afraid if I drank a full capacity hurricane right now, I'd be a serious tropical depression by midnight and all day tomorrow as my own eye(wall) collapses, hahaha!!!  I do have a couple of Pat O'Brien's hurricane glasses from years ago, still!

I'd be curious what an "extra-tropical cyclone" drink would involve!!!

Settling for some wine tonight...

I am thinking you replace tropical rum with some mid latitude vodka, maybe continental grain alcohol…but keep the passion fruit because it still has some tropical characteristics.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...