Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Ski Season Thead

Skivt2

5 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Stratton was bluebird. Clouds forming on the southern windward side quickly evaporated on the leeward side. Snow was soft and easy to turn in. I had trouble finding bumps. The firm base under the spring corn just refused to bump up. But what a glorious day with no lines and a festive vibe. 2333d3141d598b2d70bbae3fe44a0511.jpg
e203b9593d6d8f23583a84c11c99548b.jpg

Awesome dude.  Skiing on soft snow and under blue skies is just so much fun.  Reggae music and the smell of hamburgers.  Folks in dinosaur outfits and all sorts of happy weirdness.  Soft bumps and edgeable greyish brown ice.  Absolutely love every bit of it.

Well if it's going to act like April, might as well ski like it's April! Fantastic day up in Tuckerman Ravine. Trekked up to Hojos in stubborn mist and fog. As we approached the ravine floor, the sun was showing signs of emerging but in general the bowl was still a cauldron of fog.

IMG_2174.thumb.jpeg.d22f6c74814b5c89a71bf6e070c54371.jpeg

As we began booting up Left Gully, skies began to brighten a bit up high...

IMG_2173.thumb.jpeg.b2ca004b0602f62d3d8c1b651134ca7d.jpeg

Upon reaching the top of the Ravine, clouds were thinning with the summit beginning to emerge to skiers left. Suddenly the bowl rapidly cleared and we had clean sightlines for the descent.

IMG_2175.thumb.jpeg.fdffdf430880bb27ddce4d48e70d6ee8.jpegIMG_2176.thumb.jpeg.50061ad890e2bfd9a9d70e9ba378e0da.jpeg

By the time we finished the line, it was a spectacular bluebird day out on the Rockpile

IMG_2172.thumb.jpeg.a829e1e93cd49848f2a33a90fbd47941.jpeg

It's low tide up there for sure, not many skiable lines outside of the gullies right now. The sherburne is open all the way to the parking lot, but I don't expect it will be for much longer. Go get it while you can!

• Like 15

Heading to Keystone for two days (3/28-3/29) and plan to hit Vail on the 29th.  Then we stay on Peak 7 at Breck for 4 days 3/30-4/3.  Hopping they get some nice storms between now and then.  Kids are pumped!

Skied Whiteface Friday.  What a sheet of ice!

• Like 1

Amidst the general gloom, the Sunday-Tuesday period could be a pretty special stretch if the models pan out. Some much needed high-density resurfacing snow followed by a pretty significant upslope event stretching pretty far down the spine.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sankaty said:

Amidst the general gloom, the Sunday-Tuesday period could be a pretty special stretch if the models pan out. Some much needed high-density resurfacing snow followed by a pretty significant upslope event stretching pretty far down the spine.

Need more behind it.  It’s peak snow climo in the mountains.  Maybe the 3/15 to 3/22 period can provide it.  Powderfreak talked about it in the NNE thread but it’s really amazing how the northern spine has done so well despite these huge positive temperatures anomalies. The rest of the NNE mountains not so much.   Need a couple big qpf events to reload.

Side note, these next couple rain events may do in most smaller resorts.  Berkshire East was horrible yesterday and I’m not sure they can recover.  Gonna rain real hard Sunday.  Maybe they can push around some piles but it will take a lot.

4 hours ago, Digityman said:

Sugerloaf Friday, Monday, Tuesday.   What a difference in skiing.  Friday was good but windy.   Monday and Tuesday, slow, slush, bare spots.  

Not good.  

Sounds like we got the last decent day in on Friday, as far as snow goes.  I think the rain Saturday night followed by warmth/fog on Sunday did a number on them.  

17 hours ago, sankaty said:

The upslope potential for the Greens looks like the best shot.  Other than a front-end burst, and upslope on the back end, it looks like rain (and a good bit of it) in between - I very well could be missing something, though.

From the latest BTV discussion:

Overall, thermal profiles continue to support snow being very
elevationally dependent with elevations below 2000 feet mainly rain
through Sunday, ending with a light accumulation of snow Sunday
night into Monday. Across the higher elevations though, snow remains
the dominant ptype, very wet and heavy Saturday night through Sunday
night, before decreasing in density on Monday. A first guess at
storm total snowfall would support a winter weather advisory Sunday
night through Monday across the western slopes of the Adirondacks
and northern Greens for 3-6" of snow, while elevations above 2000
feet could see accumulations of 12-18" from Saturday night through
Monday night.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Angus said:

Berkshire East announced yesterday they are closed until Saturday to preserve snow.

Going to be alot of early closings this year.    With DST starting people move on to other things anyway and who is going to pay to ski on garbage (other than maybe season pass holders)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Going to be alot of early closings this year.    With DST starting people move on to other things anyway and who is going to pay to ski on garbage (other than maybe season pass holders)

OTOH, there are a lot more pass holders than there used to be with Epic and Ikon, and spring is when they are doing their main sales drive. If things get bad enough, they might not have a choice, but wouldn't be a good look from a sales perspective for them to electively close early.

I think there's going to be a fair amount of good skiing left, at least from Killington north.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sankaty said:

OTOH, there are a lot more pass holders than there used to be with Epic and Ikon, and spring is when they are doing their main sales drive. If things get bad enough, they might not have a choice, but wouldn't be a good look from a sales perspective for them to electively close early.

I think there's going to be a fair amount of good skiing left, at least from Killington north.

Hopefully there's a dump of snow-last year we had our best day at Butternut after a 2 foot mid March dump-and there were not many people there either-it was great.

Heading to Jay this weekend. I'd planned to meet up with my twins (UVM freshmen; spring break starting) and ski Sat-Sun, but we shifted to Sun-Mon based on the forecast. I'm guessing we won't be the only people trying to get in on fresh snow.

1 hour ago, PWMan said:

Heading to Jay this weekend. I'd planned to meet up with my twins (UVM freshmen; spring break starting) and ski Sat-Sun, but we shifted to Sun-Mon based on the forecast. I'm guessing we won't be the only people trying to get in on fresh snow.

I will be there Monday-Tuesday assuming upslope signal stays strong 

This morning’s report was depressing.  It just had to be (feel the room) and I reported 1.63” of rainfall in the past 24 hours.  We report snow and rain amounts, but that was a big one to put on the report.  I think knowing the general QPF/LE/SWE falling from the sky and injecting into the snowpack (or melting) is all very important information for skiers/riders to have.

This afternoon the mood was more optimistic as the clouds lifted and there was still snow to ski.  The PM update reflected the on-hill vibe. Eastern skiers/riders can move on quickly and are always optimistic for the next one.

IMG_8525.thumb.jpeg.76095f5fce15811f2a225d2113417f45.jpeg

• Like 1

This is my third straight season actively going for 100 ski days.  It’s been a rough one down here this winter.  Price I pay for living where I grew up I guess.  Two kids, full time job, other obligations have kept me from getting north as much as I’d like too.  This has been the most challenging season so far.  
Local hill has been closed so I have had to get creative this week.  Mount snow in the pouring rain before work Thursday and a super nice after work session at Bousquet last night.  75 and counting…..

E1DF617E-88B0-493B-B007-26FCF8164B69.jpeg

1B81FE93-CC17-4C29-AA20-63235F3B2ABF.jpeg

4F97A6E7-0DC8-44A2-BFD7-6F0E6768221F.jpeg

A5102661-F03D-4DFD-B348-97FCCE3B7DF1.jpeg

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, tunafish said:

I'm looking to make a trip to the Greens either M or Tu.  I'm guessing everyone and their mother will be on the hill Tuesday, but I'm worried if I go Monday there'll be wind holds.

I think we will have widespread wind issues Monday here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

Appreciate the insight.  Tu looks better, and Weds look like prime spring skiing.

Yeah I mean, anything can happen and maybe all lifts open/run… but NW wind is our stock strong & gusty direction.  The FourRunner and Gondola get pretty exposed to that wind at the Haychute and over the Waterfall (respectively).

Then add in upslope snowfall limiting visibility, especially with gusty winds blowing snow sideways, and if you can’t get good eyes on the lift it’s another reason to put it on wild hold.  If there is any doubt due to wind speeds and you can’t visually see the line or even just in front of the terminals, lifts sit still.

Berkshire east was fine today.  Main trails have decent coverage but the snow quality was pretty poor.  Not sure they make it past the several warm days this incoming week on top of this current deluge…. Time will tell. 

691D7B3D-5A7D-4C49-A342-893A27F5218A.jpeg

• Like 1