Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Ski Season Thead

Skivt2

45 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

we ski at sunday river and I don't know why they don't install more cams. It's ridiculous they only have one cam facing the chondola from the northpeak lodge. They used to have another at bottom of Southridge (at foggy goggle) but it's been gone for awhile. What's the thinking on limiting cams on the mtn? 

I agree. It used to drive me nuts Waterville didn't do it as well, but they now have live cams at the top and at the base, so it's nice to see what's happening with weather, snow making, if the lifts are running, whether it's too crowded. Crowded lines rarely happened in the past, but not sure if it's Waterville's recent improvements, or the ski industry as a whole, but I've been seeing some pretty busy Saturdays, and some times I just hold off. 

• Like 2

Day 03 at Wildcat this morning and conditions were groomed and packed powder, very surprised (and welcome) not to make any hard scratches, so in general the conditions were much better. This is partially attributed to the summit quad now running so a complete 2,100 vertical feet. Very impressive to see the amount of natural snow at 3,000 feet upwards, looks like 12" plus. Crowds for the 1st day of December were minimal. Very apparent temperature inversion with my drive through Gorham registering a low of 30 and at my place it was 47 and the base of Wildcat was 42. | We are all very fortunate at the start of December to be enjoying these conditions across the greater ski country of the northeast!

• Like 1

Stratton was outstanding for December 1st this morning. For them to get that many acres open already is impressive. Snow got manky after lunch, especially the couple naturals they had open, but the top half of the snowmaking blacks off the summit were awesome. Black bear and polar bear especially. Glad I picked Stratton over K-Mart. I think with sky peak still offline, it’s almost double the terrain.

fb4fdb93cc60752692b13c49eb7479b6.jpg

add4b884640fb630ecfd2ae7e420fe87.jpg
163aeb5de0b1852201c2747424226910.jpg

• Like 7

On 11/17/2023 at 12:49 PM, powderfreak said:

Opening day and spring bumps just like we left it in April/May.

51F137D8-45D9-4329-A028-6B4199592ED1.thumb.jpeg.004b53fd5b3159dd3d29b2eeec6337b6.jpeg

2D773363-1629-42AA-96BE-F04DFFB12C75.thumb.jpeg.e8c3ce1aba19e310f54933c1690c4b92.jpeg

2EF0C985-2BF5-4094-BE5A-8239E920E8F0.jpeg.5f1e397211e615d6bcbdc1b8b437b41f.jpeg

There is nothing on this earth more beautiful, than a snowcat hungry to prepare the slopes for hordes of happy skiers! That last picture is tugging at my heart! That snow looks so deep, so powdery, I yearn to sneak up there at 3am when the ski patrol is all snoring in bed and I can roll around in that snow to my heart's content. I can tell you from personal experience, that there is no finer thing, then rolling around and jebwalking in someone else's snowdrift. I was so bad when I was younger lmao, when it used to snow in DC! I envy you guys so much! All that fresh deep snow!

• Like 1

Stayed over nite at Attitash . Def not skiing here but taking the short drive up to Wildcat around 930. I wouldn’t think the parking lot would fill up this early in season would anyone else (they got a relatively small lot ) and when it’s full your SOL or sent back to Attitash 

hoping the day 9 cutter flattens out 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Wildcat report says 10” at Base and more up top. Good weekdays of skiing . No cutters please

I believe it. Was at Santa's Village last night. Huge aggregates and the lights made for a festive evening. There was about 2" on the ground when we left around 6 or so. Back here in Thornton there was about 1/2" on the ground, but temp was 33.4, so it wasn't really accumulating. Got 3" since then, but Waterville is reporting 7" at base and 8" up top. Heading out now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There have been higher amounts than we report up above 3,000ft.  The three of us who are responsible for the snow/weather/terrain observations at the mountain have all morphed more towards an ideal number, usually measured from 2/3rds of the way up the mountain.  We do not just add up the highest possible value to make a seasonal total... we are looking for the amount of snowfall that encompasses a mean of the highest number and the lower snowfall near the base area. 

We think that 3,000ft elevation does it well.  For reference, at Sugarbush their mid-mountain snow cam is at 3,100ft.  That is roughly the elevation that the Stowe seasonal snowfall is coming from.  Sugarbush's summit snowfall is from around 4,000ft.  Others are as well at Killington and Jay.

Important to note that we have reported less total snowfall than the Mansfield stake depth has increased in these events.  The snow depth increased 13" while we added 11" to the seasonal total so far in this event.  The past two events have been similar.

992872706_December4PMUpdateSnowReport.thumb.jpg.b7cc41954b128f6a3d46a8a982c1de8c.jpg

• Like 3

been watching their webcams - crazy amount of snow in that area this season and last year at xmas it was very low tide but the mountains are spectacular either way. Funny, the utilities frankly don't diminish the vistas. That picture is the village of St. Christoph - just up from St. Anton and on the way to Zurs and Lech.

Of course, headed to BC this xmas and watching it rain on the webcams this morning! See a pattern!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, nj2va said:

We just booked a trip over New Years to Northern NH to celebrate my 40th.  Staying in Jackson and will probably check out Wildcat and Bretton Woods.  My partner is from NH originally so we love getting up there any time of the year.

Have fun!  There is a Mexican restaurant called "la casita" in Berlin that is very good

• Thanks 1

Jay opening tram Saturday and going 100 percent open except for trails with currently active snowmaking.  Earliest I've seen the tram run since 2018.  That entire side of the mountain has been untouched.  Too bad winds will probably kill it at some point Sunday, but tram laps in early December really speaks to what kind of start it's been this year.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2023 at 12:05 PM, nj2va said:

We just booked a trip over New Years to Northern NH to celebrate my 40th.  Staying in Jackson and will probably check out Wildcat and Bretton Woods.  My partner is from NH originally so we love getting up there any time of the year.

If you want an old school New England apres ski experience hit the Shannon Door in Jackson.   Cozy and festive with a comfort food menu and decent beer selection. 

Moat Brewery is fun too.  You want to get to both of those places before 5 PM though…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2023 at 4:37 PM, HIPPYVALLEY said:

If you want an old school New England apres ski experience hit the Shannon Door in Jackson.   Cozy and festive with a comfort food menu and decent beer selection. 

Moat Brewery is fun too.  You want to get to both of those places before 5 PM though…

We had dinner at Tuckermans when we were in Bartlet for Tday. We'd definitively go back. Never tried it and glad we did. 

• Like 1