• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

We picked up 0.53" of rain since last night here in East Nantmeal. More humid today with showers possible through tonight. Clearing for the weekend with lower humidity and back to below normal temperatures by Sunday. Much of the upcoming final week of August looks to be near to below normal. This will result in August finishing with below normal temperatures. In fact this will make 3 of the last 4 months with below normal temperatures. This is the 1st time we have experienced 3 of 4 consecutive months with below normal temps since the 1st 4 months of 2018.
Records for today: High 97 (1909) / Low 40 (1927) / Rain 2.45" (1957)
image.png.bc7ebcb6ccdb76c3fda7974706a81299.png
  • Like 2

This is absolutely incredible. Since the ASOS was installed in 1997 at Bradford (McKean County) Regional Airport, the mean summertime maximum temperature is increasing at an astounding 13.8F/century and the mean summertime minimum temperature at an even more astounding 14.7F/century. May be too short of a period to draw any conclusions, but still surprising.

image.png.d5f5b6772d4bab478197009905215ce7.png

image.png.4b91972e8afd3495e00530b63ff5c880.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

This is absolutely incredible. Since the ASOS was installed in 1997 at Bradford (McKean County) Regional Airport, the mean summertime maximum temperature is increasing at an astounding 13.8F/century and the mean summertime minimum temperature at an even more astounding 14.7F/century. May be too short of a period to draw any conclusions, but still surprising.

Statistician here.  What you are doing here is called extrapolation -- an ill-advised tactic.  Just state what the data shows within the time period actually measured.  No need to put it in terms of degrees per century, which is almost certainly wildly inaccurate.

ex·trap·o·late
extend the application of (a method or conclusion, especially one based on statistics) to an unknown situation by assuming that existing trends will continue or similar methods will be applicable.
"the results cannot be extrapolated to other patient groups"
  • estimate or conclude (something) by extrapolating.
    "attempts to extrapolate likely human cancers from laboratory studies"
  • MATHEMATICS
    extend (a graph, curve, or range of values) by inferring unknown values from trends in the known data.
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Way too small of an n to mean anything...especially with all of the above occurring during our current warming cycle

37 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Surprised I did not wake up to a Midnighters post. 

I didn't really have much time to post but I had the radar up on my screen...it's been a long time since I've seen a line/area of storms that was as intense and large in coverage as last night. If you can go back and loop overnight you'll see what I mean.

• Like 2

Had meetings on 3rd shift last night so I was up all night. Radar overnight was epic coming out of western PA, shocked that it fizzled on our doorstep. Picked up 0.23" here.
You need to make the third shifters show up in the middle of the day like any other self-respecting mid-level manager would. Screw those people. Third shifters are savages.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Also, sports fans. My stepson plays Jr. High Football at a local high school up this way. They scrimmaged Punxsutawney last night. Punxsutawney has a 7th or 8th grade kicker (soccer player) who consecutively kicked off from the 40 to the end zone, and then he proceeded to crush (and when I say "crush," I mean he cleared the post with 10-15 yards to spare) field goal attempts from 35 and 40 yards.

I didn't get a name. But I'm sending the used car salesman in State College a DM to get an eye on the second coming of Janikowski before Ohio State finds out.

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Also, sports fans. My stepson plays Jr. High Football at a local high school up this way. They scrimmaged Punxsutawney last night. Punxsutawney has a 7th or 8th grade kicker (soccer player) who consecutively kicked off from the 40 to the end zone, and then he proceeded to crush (and when I say "crush," I mean he cleared the post with 10-15 yards to spare) field goal attempts from 35 and 40 yards.

I didn't get a name. But I'm sending the used car salesman in State College a DM to get an eye on the second coming of Janikowski before Ohio State finds out.

Hopefully for his sake his name is not Phillip (Phil). 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

You need to make the third shifters show up in the middle of the day like any other self-respecting mid-level manager would. Screw those people. Third shifters are savages.

You know, I did that once years ago and didn't work out so well. I'll just say that I think (gulp) that a lot of employees respect and appreciate my willingness to hang out on their turf from time to time. Is it a sacrifice for me? (and my wife) Sure...but the benefits outweigh the pain.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Supposedly Pressley Harvin was booming 50 yard punts in middle school and now he's on the verge of losing his job in Pittsburgh due to his maddening inconsistency. Hopefully that young man you're talking about keeps improving. Kickers are a rare breed...or as Buddy Ryan said - "he's a kicker, not a football player"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Atomixwx said:

Cowboys could use him send Jerry his number.