• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

Before I crash I saw a couple mets on Twitter mentioning how the small mesos within the line were dancing around each other in maybe a weird Fujiwara effect way. Between what I experienced with the rapid change in strong wind direction and saw on radarscope this line far exceeded my hopes. It was new, different, in interesting ways with an amazing firework show. Plus got double the high-end forecasted rain, with about an 1".

Some young met student could probably do a create senior thesis on this line tonight. Or a case study for an experienced met where he gets to tell us what crack the NAM3K and FVS3 decided to smoke all day and why along with the interesting storm features.

I'm most happy for the parched people to our south. The one guy in mid Atlantic forum, whose area is still strongly in D2 only had 1.87" since June 1st and I think less than 2.35" since May 1st. The line blew up south enough to give them a good drink.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That was some of the worst and longest sustained powerful winds I've seen in a very long time. Is it weird that I can't really remember winds sustained this powerful since hurricane Irene? lol
20 min plus of continuous strong winds here. I wish I had an anemometer in my roof. I live in a narrow but 3 story house and I spent storm in my daughter's room on top floor with big windows facing west. Her one latch and lock is broken so when the wind abruptly shifted directions and increased speed it whipped window wide open as it opens outward. I had to get my belt to have enough leverage to close it in that wind until I almost had it a foot away from closing and wind direction spun back to coming from the west causing window to slame shut. Then I felt everything vibrating from my walls to the window along with a loud hallowing and it just kept on going. Being 3 stories and being the only 3 story place in some distance with nothing to break the wind but some mature tree canopys across the street. It felt like it did during Isabel

• Like 1

Got about .45" of rain here with most of it coming from the blob of rain that passed over well past the line of storms.  Top wind gust was 40 almost matching the top gust at MDT which was 43.  Top sustained reading on the 5 min output at MDT was 33.   CXY top gust was 37 on the 5 min records.   The HRRR did a better job than the Nam and Rgem with the eventual track and length of the storm line.   A very refreshing 57 here. 

image.thumb.png.0064f2c31675427d241b16cff1f88b06.png

• Like 1

Just to put the historical southwest heatwave into perspective...

DISCUSSION...
The list of broken records to continue to grow for the climate
sites across the region during this extremely hot and dry period.
Consecutive days of high temperatures at or above 110 degrees and
low temperatures at or above 90 degrees rolls on across central
Phoenix, with little chance (~10%) of any day over the next week
of the high temperature being below 110 degrees. Not only are the
temperatures above 110 degrees for the highs, but the daily high
temperature records in Phoenix continue to be broken (seven of 
the last eight days either tied or broke the previous record) and
is likely (70-80%) of equaling or exceeding the record 
temperature of 118 degrees for today. Additionally, this
exceptional dry period has grown to 120 days, which is good for
6th on the all-time longest dry streaks for Phoenix.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Summit Snow said:

.97 last night and at 6.95 for the month.

Dog was shaking last night with that lightning and thunder!

I hope its not storm phobia for your pup.  My first Golden had storm phobia and went literally batshit during storms. 

My Golden (Nash) was a therapy dog, and one of the best trained/obedient dogs I've come by, but when storms came....he blew thru screens to get outside, tried to jump out of send floor window (daughters room on bed), chewed 30" of garage door (after forcing is way OUT of cage w/ blankets over it (docs orders to try to calm him during storms). 

Rescue Remedy is very helpful to calm them.  Toughest part is that it takes about 30 min to take hold, and you almost need to do it in advance to take the edge off.  Hoping your pups ok.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Well, as expected that line woke up the whole fam. Certainly lived up to the billing, with nonstop fireworks, howling winds, and .62” of hard rain. Most importantly, things look nice and cleared out for some boating today. Wahoo!

Enjoy running on the chocolate milk :).  Jokin aside, I'd think you'll be ok.  watch out for trees/debris tho.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pawatch said:

Picked up 0.70” of rain here. With the top gust being 46mph.

Montoursville where my son lives got 0.82”.

kind of surprised we didn’t end up with higher rain totals.

Was a fantastic lighting show for a little bit.

Using WU as a guide, totals in NE PA were indeed lower than some of the earlier looks on models.   Lots of near or even under 1/2" reports. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Well, as expected that line woke up the whole fam. Certainly lived up to the billing, with nonstop fireworks, howling winds, and .62” of hard rain. Most importantly, things look nice and cleared out for some boating today. Wahoo!

Wow - I had a shower with some distant lightning and thunder. Top wind gust here was 4.7 mph. Nice rains, don't get me wrong, but on a scale of 1 to 10 as far as storms go...last night would get a 1. A generous 1. (I was out of bed actively watching and tracking, so it's not like my obs were sleepy based. We literally had zero storm factor)

• Like 2

After our 0.65" of rain this morning we are now all the way back to 95% of normal year to date rainfall through today. A top 10 weather weekend on the way with sunny skies slightly below normal temps and relatively low humidity. A slow warming trend starts next week and we could see our 1st 90+ day here in East Nantmeal for the first time in more than 2 years by the end of the week!

image.png.d38ac2bde24d603a40eda336b491d0d8.png

32 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Anyone have any clue regarding those velocity returns south of Mechanicsburg by dillsburg I posted last night?

I haven't seen any news of trees down or any damage so I'm guessing it was atmospheric and not mixed down. 

• Like 1