Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Banter 2023

George BM

4 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

You don't even have a strong 500mb ridge overhead. 

Thats true. We dont. Whatever is causing this unusually humid unusually hot airmass, it is cooking us in our own juices, and the word on the street is it will continue for another 3-4 months. This is early for us getting low 100s and upper 70s dews even in the middle of the day. 101/78 weather is far more representative of mid August down here, than of mid June. A few forecasters are saying TEXAS will be the epicenter of extreme heat this year NOT California.

On 6/13/2023 at 6:03 PM, MillvilleWx said:

Just to keep everyone here in the loop, I have officially received my onboarding date of August 4th at the Weather Prediction Center. My wife and I will embark on our journey back east the end of July and land in MD sometime the first week of August. 

I am beyond excited for this and can't wait to be back home and living out my dream position. ^_^

CONGRATULATIONS!   I KNEW you'd get the position! They KNOW you are the Best!

Snapped this picture of an unusual visitor to BWI earlier. Sierra Pacific Airlines has only two planes in their fleet. They last made a stop in Baltimore in late February. Seems they charter for military sometimes/often. Have been experimenting with an app called JetTip the past day or two. Has been cool to get an advanced heads up of "interesting" planes going into selected airports. 

Not a great picture - had to reduce it down a bit to fit on here. 

DSCN0150-2.jpg

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Snapped this picture of an unusual visitor to BWI earlier. Sierra Pacific Airlines has only two planes in their fleet. They last made a stop in Baltimore in late February. Seems they charter for military sometimes/often. Have been experimenting with an app called JetTip the past day or two. Has been cool to get an advanced heads up of "interesting" planes going into selected airports. 

Not a great picture - had to reduce it down a bit to fit on here. 

DSCN0150-2.jpg

Boeing 737-700?

On 6/16/2023 at 11:16 AM, hstorm said:

Looks like a beautiful day tomorrow for the first A Meet.  Our last evening practice was yesterday.  No practice today because of our annual end-of-school party at the pool.  Always nice to switch to the morning routine.

Only downside tomorrow is that we are away and have a 45-minute drive to the other pool.  We dodged any long trips last year but are paying the price this year -- our other away meet is also a 45-minute drive.  Early mornings . . .

Turned out a little chillier (and breezier) than ideal because our hosts' pool was mostly in the shade during the meet, but our kids were seated in the sun, so they looked comfortable enough!

We had lots of good swims, including personal bests and a team record! And I have to brag on my older girl who won her first A Meet heat ever with her own 50 Free personal best! I have to say that I felt bad for the other team reps because they were missing more swimmers than they expected, which led to a pretty lopsided, unfortunate final score. Plenty of closer meets to come, though.

• Like 3

The US Men looked really good in both the Mexico and Canada matches and were deserved Nations League winners. Not going to dissect the matches, but I was really pleased with what I saw!

As for Berhalter, the discourse is ridiculous. I have absolutely no issues with his reappointment nor, does it seem, do the players. We have three years until the World Cup, and if things don't go well through Copa America, then we can make a change leading into 2026.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mattie g said:

Turned out a little chillier (and breezier) than ideal because our hosts' pool was mostly in the shade during the meet, but our kids were seated in the sun, so they looked comfortable enough!

We had lots of good swims, including personal bests and a team record! And I have to brag on my older girl who won her first A Meet heat ever with her own 50 Free personal best! I have to say that I felt bad for the other team reps because they were missing more swimmers than they expected, which led to a pretty lopsided, unfortunate final score. Plenty of closer meets to come, though.

Congrats to your daughter!  We were also shorthanded this weekend and it showed in the final score.  Lots of familes away for the week (or for the weekend) with school just getting out.  My son and daughter did great, so very happy about that

Rough going tonight at our home B Meet.  Had to start 20 minutes late due to thunder and meet was called around 7:45 when another storm blew through.  We made it through free and back with only ~1:15 of actual swim time between pool closures.  Pretty efficient use of the little time that we did have.  I always feel bad for the non-A Meet swimmers when a B Meet gets called off, but at least getting through free/back gave most everyone the chance to race.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hstorm said:

Congrats to your daughter!  We were also shorthanded this weekend and it showed in the final score.  Lots of familes away for the week (or for the weekend) with school just getting out.  My son and daughter did great, so very happy about that

Rough going tonight at our home B Meet.  Had to start 20 minutes late due to thunder and meet was called around 7:45 when another storm blew through.  We made it through free and back with only ~1:15 of actual swim time between pool closures.  Pretty efficient use of the little time that we did have.  I always feel bad for the non-A Meet swimmers when a B Meet gets called off, but at least getting through free/back gave most everyone the chance to race.

Congrats on your kids doing well!

It's always rough when lots of kids are missing. It's understandable, but never fun, especially for the coaches when they're putting their lineups together. My guess is that your team is bigger than ours, and we feel the pain big time when we miss kids, but no matter what it's always a blow to go into meets knowing you don't have your full team available to you. The positive to that is that it gives other kids a chance to swim in A Meets!

Wow...free and back in only 1:15? That's flying! And agreed on the non-A Meet kids getting their chances to swim!

We hosted last night and somehow got through the whole meet without a delay! Storms stayed to our west and south the whole time, but even so we still ended at about 9:00. It was a fun meet though, especially because we swam against our closest neighbors whose kids generally go to the same schools as ours, so we all know each other. It was also my 5-year-old daughter's first race! Great start (if I do say so my biased self) and got all the way across with no issues!

• Like 1

This is a very good time for a leisurely summer jebwalk.

Why, you ask?

It is sunny with a blazing hot Texas sun out there, 102 degrees, dewpoint is 77 degrees and it feels like its 119 degrees. It's true Texas #Hellageddon2023 weather out here, and I am enjoying yet another delightful summer jebwalk!

• Like 6

Yet another day of wall to wall sunshine here in the Lone Star State, along with cool readings about 102 degrees, 77 degree dewpoints, 46 percent relative humidity and a nice 119 degree apparent temperature to go along with it.

Excellent jebwalk conditions!

To all of you in the Mid Atlantic: ENJOY those cool temperatures and rains, day after day after day after day lol!

Could you guys PLEASE send us some of your rainfall? Please?

We could sure use it!

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 3:36 PM, nj2va said:

About an hour out from Pitt to see Taylor Swift at Heinz Stadium. Hellacious drive with so much traffic on 70 in MD and usual traffic on 270 for an early Friday afternoon. Why oh why does MD love two lane highways. 

That accident on I-70 caused a mess trying to get out of there around 1130 or so on Friday. We got to Pittsburgh about a full hour behind was I was aiming for. Still made our dinner reservation at Hyde Park and thank goodness because that meal was unbelievable. 

Side note: Definitely give Hyde Park a try if in Pittsburgh. Incredible food and hospitality! 

Outside the hell that was traffic, the concert and everything else was amazing. My wife had a great time and was all I wanted out of the trip up there. Couldn’t ask for more! 

• Like 1

So, banter time - but I have to ask here because it is driving us absolutely crazy.  Anyone else having problems with extreme ant infestations the past couple of years?

We live in a semi-rural area in Loudoun, 5+ acre zoned part of the county, with lots of forest and have always had plenty of everything - foxes, turkeys, deer and of course insects.  But in the time I have lived here, I have never seen the problems with ants - of all types - we are having now.  The little ones are constantly finding ways in, no matter how much we treat for them.  And the larger ones are everywhere outside too.

I just took down my Davis VP2 main station which had been on my fence.  It stopped working a few days ago and I figured the batteries were dead, so I went to open it up to replace the batteries.  When I pulled open the main compartment, I was confused at first by what I saw inside - then realized it was moving because there were about 500 large ants inside there.

They chewed up the wires and destroyed it - so now I have to try to replace it before I can get data again, and try to site it somewhere that the ants will have more trouble reaching it in the future.  They were presumably carpenter ants which like to nest in crevices inside structures.  I can't say for sure because I lost it when I saw them and hit them with the hose.

2 hours ago, mattskiva said:

So, banter time - but I have to ask here because it is driving us absolutely crazy.  Anyone else having problems with extreme ant infestations the past couple of years?

We live in a semi-rural area in Loudoun, 5+ acre zoned part of the county, with lots of forest and have always had plenty of everything - foxes, turkeys, deer and of course insects.  But in the time I have lived here, I have never seen the problems with ants - of all types - we are having now.  The little ones are constantly finding ways in, no matter how much we treat for them.  And the larger ones are everywhere outside too.

I just took down my Davis VP2 main station which had been on my fence.  It stopped working a few days ago and I figured the batteries were dead, so I went to open it up to replace the batteries.  When I pulled open the main compartment, I was confused at first by what I saw inside - then realized it was moving because there were about 500 large ants inside there.

They chewed up the wires and destroyed it - so now I have to try to replace it before I can get data again, and try to site it somewhere that the ants will have more trouble reaching it in the future.  They were presumably carpenter ants which like to nest in crevices inside structures.  I can't say for sure because I lost it when I saw them and hit them with the hose.

I've seen an uptick this year vs last but not what I'd call an infestation yet. Oddly enough had someone knock on my door the other day from an exterminator company asking if we've noticed ant and spider activity so apparently it is a thing. I'd never want to get rid of spiders though because they take care of a big chunk of other insects. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mattskiva said:

Somewhere on here I have some pictures of my Davis infested with ants, (for the 2nd or 3rd time BTW). But, it sounds like you have a more aggressive, wire-chewing type ant. Once I cleaned and fumigated the station, it was OK.

We were also wondering if we get more ants in dry years. For us, it has not been increasing really; just varying from year to year. 

Last week I used Bifen IT insecticide around the house and an ant hill, and it stopped them cold. I've been using Bifen primarily for tick management, but am finding that it is one of the most effective things I've ever tried.  Only a small application was needed.  Otherwise, I use a Borax type powder.

DavisAnts02-reduced.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, H2O said:

I’ve had any issues for the last few years. Even with regular pest control visits we get invasions for a short bit and I end up having to put out my own traps and bait. Stupid little picnic ants. 

Yeah, my occasional ant infestations are easily handled with a mix of water, sugar, and borax. I don’t have giant ants eating my wiring!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GramaxRefugee said:

Somewhere on here I have some pictures of my Davis infested with ants, (for the 2nd or 3rd time BTW). But, it sounds like you have a more aggressive, wire-chewing type ant. Once I cleaned and fumigated the station, it was OK.

We were also wondering if we get more ants in dry years. For us, it has not been increasing really; just varying from year to year. 

Last week I used Bifen IT insecticide around the house and an ant hill, and it stopped them cold. I've been using Bifen primarily for tick management, but am finding that it is one of the most effective things I've ever tried.  Only a small application was needed.  Otherwise, I use a Borax type powder.

My VP2 gets ants every year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GramaxRefugee said:

Thank you for the tip, will give that a try!

• Like 1

Heat of the day here June 22 - and it is not even hot! Massive thunderstorms with 65 mph gusts swept us last night, tree got toppled onto our brand new fence, crushing it, branches lay all over the place adding to my workload, but today it is 90/74. It feels like 80/53!!!!!!! Its hard to believe 90 weather feels this cool lmao! Yesterday it was 103/77 and it felt like 119 or 120. But today, I feel like I moved up into northern Alberta, Canada. #TexasHellageddon2023 is coming back soon, though. We also got an inch and a half of rain last night, weeds are teeming and I have to pull them all, along with a host of fire ants!

I was jebwalking all over today, saying wow, wow, wow I cant believe it is so cool and I am not about to need an ambulance from heat exhaustion! We got some rain last night, but not as much as you guys are getting in the Southeast!

• H2O unpinned this topic