Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

On 9/7/2023 at 9:27 AM, dryslot said:

We tried to tell them.

The explosive development was more intriguing then the potential for this to affect the EC, It just doesn't appear to get far enough west before it turns the corner, So much has to go right and very little needs to be wrong for this to be a fish storm for the CONUS.

Also, what’s with this chasing outlier ensembles narrative? Kev’s been doing his hype thing, but even he was at like 30% odds when sober. Weenies will weenie but it’s no different than any other season. To my knowledge nobody has seriously said this is a high likelihood thing. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Also, what’s with this chasing outlier ensembles narrative? Kev’s been doing his hype thing, but even he was at like 30% odds when sober. Weenies will weenie but it’s no different than any other season. To my knowledge nobody has seriously said this is a high likelihood thing. 

3% odds gets the weenies going around here lol....myself included I'm just as guilty.

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It's one thing to discuss all probabilities and potential outcomes on the board (even ones that may be outlandish) but some of what is going on around social media is ridiculous. There are just some things you don't mention or say publicly - but of course views, clicks, and follows are the most important thing in the world.  

Just now, weatherwiz said:

It's one thing to discuss all probabilities and potential outcomes on the board (even ones that may be outlandish) but some of what is going on around social media is ridiculous. There are just some things you don't mention or say publicly - but of course views, clicks, and follows are the most important thing in the world.  

The 12z Euro from yesterday was used extensively on social medias to fuel the fire.

Just now, dryslot said:

The 12z Euro from yesterday was used extensively on social medias to fuel the fire.

Social media - particularly the media outlets have pretty much married the Euro over the last decade. Not sure if it was Sandy or something else that drove it but media outlets drool over the Euro. 

• Like 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Social media - particularly the media outlets have pretty much married the Euro over the last decade. Not sure if it was Sandy or something else that drove it but media outlets drool over the Euro. 

Euro is not what it used to be. There is not a huge gap like it once had pre 2015. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Euro use to nail storms a week out

Not anymore 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Well that’s social media. I’m talking about this thread. I get that people are imby here so if it’s not a category four over your head it’s meh and boring, but this is worthy of tracking with expectations in check.

To be clear—I’m not saying that folks should only talk about the hit possibilities. I appreciate the analysis about the continued less than “ideal” troughing from some, or the need to move past 70W, or there being too many moving pieces to feel confident in any additional westward shift, but that’s what I want to see. Analysis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Well that’s social media. I’m talking about this thread. I get that people are imby here so if it’s not a category four over your head it’s meh and boring, but this is worthy of tracking with expectations in check.

To be clear—I’m not saying that folks should only talk about the hit possibilities. I appreciate the analysis about the continued less than “ideal” troughing from some, or the need to move past 70W, or there being too many moving pieces to feel confident in any additional westward shift, but that’s what I want to see. Analysis. 

Absolutely agreed - the analysis is great. Sometimes the level of IMBY'ism and just the general "we have no shot" or it's going to hit" us posts can get too overwhelming (and not just in this case of tropical, but winter too. Even in the case of Lee, even if it has a 0.05% chance to hit us - the discussion and analysis is great because it's discussion and analysis what's drive learning and understanding. Now some people don't care about the learning and understanding - but ultimately that's what this place is for. 

Overnight stuff looks less favorable than it did yesterday to me for a US landfall. While you might think that some of the westward bends on the ensemble tracks are helpful, they also delay latitude gain as the northeast trough wants to pull out. Atlantic Canada is still very much in play, obviously. Probably <~5% now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

Overnight stuff looks less favorable than it did yesterday to me for a US landfall. While you might think that some of the westward bends on the ensemble tracks are helpful, they also delay latitude gain as the northeast trough wants to pull out. Atlantic Canada is still very much in play, obviously. Probably <~5% now. 

At this range I agree about Atlantic Canada, though plenty of time for shifts a la Franklin.