Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

2 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

It’s 75 but dews have reached the low 60s. I’m miserable 

Low 60 dews will be like a breath of fresh Canadian air around these parts in July lol.

Hit 85 here today.  Most of the area trees have fully grown leaves now.  Other than the farm fields it looks like mid summer around here.

EDIT:  Good luck on the chase trip Stebo

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Pretty sure I was the first yooper to complain about the heat.  78 was uncomfortable for working outside.  I'd take 60-70 all summer... upper 40's at night.

When I was landscaping, that would be ideal. But now 75-80 with 60-65 dews is comfortable. More than that gets too stuffy, and you need A/C. Rather not have to use that, but we get a few days when it's needed. My doctor mentioned a few years ago that northern folk are pretty hardy, and can adjust rather quickly to swings in climate, unlike others that live further south.

4 hours ago, Brian D said:

In a couple months, you'll wish it was like this LOL

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Low 60 dews will be like a breath of fresh Canadian air around these parts in July lol.

Fully aware I’ll adjust and think this is nothing come July. It’s great for leisure right now, but working in it stinks. We’ve had the windows open in the house and it’s been wonderful all week. 

3 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

you and beavis can go shack up, in alaska.

It would be an endless circle of complaining. Sounds lovely! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

11 hours ago, Brian D said:

When I was landscaping, that would be ideal. But now 75-80 with 60-65 dews is comfortable. More than that gets too stuffy, and you need A/C. Rather not have to use that, but we get a few days when it's needed. My doctor mentioned a few years ago that northern folk are pretty hardy, and can adjust rather quickly to swings in climate, unlike others that live further south.

Was out working in the yard cleaning up from winter, cutting up fallen tree limbs and even with dews in the low 50's I found it too warm.  I've become heat intolerant and find it easier to keep warm than cool down.  Plus, I do not have AC and the house can heat up quickly this time of year before the leaves come on and there's shade to keep cool in. 

Thankfully "real" heat and humidity are not very common here, as some years I don't even reach 90 and dews in the 70's aren't too common either.

Far cry from my Indiana days.

• Like 3

I was doing some research, and came across this. Very interesting stuff.

https://www.wane.com/news/fort-waynes-first-weatherman/

One of those unusual facts came on January 1 of 1864. The low that day was -21 and the high was -16 Andrews journal had the remark that it was a tough day. Andrew’s journal also noted that in June of 1855 there were several frosts. And on June 20, 1842, Andrews noted that there was frost. Another record was set when Andrews noted that the temperature at sunrise on April 14th, 1842, was only 14-degrees

What makes this journal even more valuable is that it was kept during what was called the last ice age which took place from 1300 to about 1870. During that time, he was able to document the coldest temperature in recorded history 34 degrees below zero in January of 1873! He also recorded a record -17 in November 0f 1857.

The all-time coldest temperature recorded by the NWS in modern times was -24 in 1918.

We also know by looking at Andrew’s data that the average temperature was 10 degrees colder from 1840 to 1873 where the average temperature was 40 degrees. The same period 100 years later 1940 to 1973 had an average temperature of 50 degrees.

The other remarkable thing is that comparing Andrews saw much colder temperatures with highs in the 60s and 70s during the summer and in the 30s for lows in August.

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Was out working in the yard cleaning up from winter, cutting up fallen tree limbs and even with dews in the low 50's I found it too warm.  I've become heat intolerant and find it easier to keep warm than cool down.  Plus, I do not have AC and the house can heat up quickly this time of year before the leaves come on and there's shade to keep cool in. 

Thankfully "real" heat and humidity are not very common here, as some years I don't even reach 90 and dews in the 70's aren't too common either.

I get it. I've been up north when it's very hot and humid, it just doesn't last. Here in southern Michigan we are literally classified as a climate with hot summers and cold winters so basically a working furnace and ac is a must. But in northern michigan, while all the businesses have AC, many of the vrbo or air bnb don't. Booking one in summer is a huge gamble. A majority of days are comfortable but if you get it during a hot spell, good luck with a fan and windows lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Funny, I didn't even see your post before I shared that link. Sounds like Indiana was even colder than the UP in the 1830s and 1840s, if this is true: 

We also know by looking at Andrew’s data that the average temperature was 10 degrees colder from 1840 to 1873 where the average temperature was 40 degrees. The same period 100 years later 1940 to 1973 had an average temperature of 50 degrees.

The other remarkable thing is that comparing Andrews saw much colder temperatures with highs in the 60s and 70s during the summer and in the 30s for lows in August.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I was doing some research, and came across this. Very interesting stuff.

https://www.wane.com/news/fort-waynes-first-weatherman/

More history from Philadelphia starting in 1790-1847. Lots of cool historical weather records around, but so many are not necessarily as complete as the ones we have noted here. Many are from military camps across the country, and are not quite complete. Another note would be to remember that those early records are very rural, so it would be nice to compare the most rural records in an area as possible to see how things faired over time. Minneapolis, Philadelphia, etc started very rural, and became very urban in temp recording location. And those locations next to the Lakes like Duluth, Chicago, etc started near the shorelines, then moved inland. Changing the temp profile (diurnal range, and avg) in both instances.

Here in Philly, you can see the avg temp is no greater than 54 until the late 1870's, when the avg is greater than that regularly, and slowly warms from there. Too bad there is a three decade gap. Also of interest is the reference to the year without a summer in 1816 after that massive eruption of Tambora the year before.

1627525984_Phillytempdata1790-1846.thumb.gif.3dd03df0a9464d1302e395c0b8c27cb1.gif

https://books.google.com/books?id=yXkWAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA9&lpg=PA9&dq=temperature+philadelphia+1790&source=web&ots=kDcJ9xhG8H&sig=ocb5JfGI5A8j5ApWfBacyRyY2pY&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#v=onepage&q&f=false

1009424100_Philadelphiaanntemprecord.thumb.jpeg.45bdb1260c2a98591a831baa945db541.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, weatherbo said:

I noticed I’m more susceptible to heat when spring gets going since I’ve been working outside last few years. My blood gets so thick that I get heat stress for a month when it’s in transition to summer. Interesting how blood getting thick during winter can have an impact when it gets warm

• Like 2

Today: down to a temperature of 63 with a dew point of 39 here. I sometimes forget that the more dry air, like I was used to feeling out in Fort Collins, does exist as we get closer and closer to summer.

The 500mb pattern is a complete mess

gfs_z500_vort_us_2.png