• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Spring 2023

6 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

49 degrees at 12:10pm. This is the spring high school sports weather I remember for many years in the past. 

5 hours ago, mahantango#1 said:

Yes I remember track practice and the track meets with this kind of weather. I remember freezing during the practice sessions in jr.high and high school at Milton Hershey. That cold wind was nasty in the open down there.

When I was doing newspaper photography I froze more doing spring sports than fall sports.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I bet...did not think of that.    So, I guess people can own that land (it is not owned by the city)

Nearly tear-shaped, Hoover’s Island is a 275-acre piece of land sitting in the Susquehanna River between Fishers Ferry and Herndon. Farmers still grow corn on the island as well as on neighboring Little Hoover’s Island just to the north, but no year-round residents live there anymore.
Dale Reiner and Ken Hoover of Dalmatia will use historical photos and slides to illustrate their talk about long-ago life on the islands. Once there were three farm families who were permanent residents, and summer residents occupied nearly a score of cottages.
There was also a school attended by children in the Hoover family. Flat boats and canoes provided transportation between the islands and the mainland, although during periods of low water, farmers sometimes drove their tractors and trucks across the river bed.
The Pennsylvania Game Commission purchased both islands during the 1960s.
Mr. Reiner is president of the Mahanoy and Mahantongo Historical and Preservation Society.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Some of the lower spots across the county saw sub-freezing temps this AM. Here in East Nantmeal we made it down to 33.4 degrees. Our last freezing morning was on April 9th...could that one and today in lower spots be our last such reading until October or November? I will post growing season stats later. We should warm back to about normal levels this afternoon (low 60's) before a big warm up to close the week. Temps on Friday could touch the mid-80's before showers arrive Saturday night and a return to cooler weather next week.
Records for today: High 92 (1976) / Low 24 (1905) / Rain 2.05" (1943) / Snow 4.2" (1983)
image.png.1bcd37f35eeca53da5929ed41452fb96.png

9 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Super late Nooners.  Sunny and a chilly 57 due to a brisk wind.  

Sunny and 62 here...also:

The latest measurable snowfall on record at @millersvilleu occurred on #April19, 1983. With no snow on the horizon, I can officially say that the 2022-2023 winter season is now the least-snowy on record! Only 0.9" of snow fell, shattering the previous record of 4.0" in 1949-1950.

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Sunny and 62 here...also:

The latest measurable snowfall on record at @millersvilleu occurred on #April19, 1983. With no snow on the horizon, I can officially say that the 2022-2023 winter season is now the least-snowy on record! Only 0.9" of snow fell, shattering the previous record of 4.0" in 1949-1950.

Snow in May and June does count.  :-)

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

Just bad timing as you're now stealing all the rain from everyone.

Oh wait ....

Yeah it's absolutely brutal. 

MDT sitting at a rounded 4.5" below normal for 2023.  Probably one of the biggest deficits this time of the year in their history.   They have only had about 6 1/2" of precip for the year so far.