• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Spring 2023

@Bubbler86 seeing anything wet or interesting for later today or tonight . I see some week northeast moving instability popping up in southeastern Pa extending back my way in a capped environment . Still plenty of time to destabilize but not much around to tap into it yet, but heights are falling I think lol. Need some work in that department yet.

@mahantango#1 I believe you made a post a few weeks ago about bulbs you planted that did not have healthy looking vegetative growth this season . That's not uncommon at all. Last year was not a great year to establish roots depending on when you planted them. You did nothing wrong they will look better next year. A lot of plant grown from bulbs don't have high nutrient requirements so don't over feed trying to push them to health, you could lock them out or worse burn them.

11 minutes ago, Yardstickgozinya said:

@Bubbler86 seeing anything wet or interesting for later today or tonight . I see some week northeast moving instability popping up in southeastern Pa extending back my way in a capped environment . Still plenty of time to destabilize but not much around to tap into it yet, but heights are falling I think lol. Need some work in that department yet.

I have not had a ton of time to look that closely.  Severe does not interest me as much as others.  I need to mow my yard today (#2) though so I hope nothing shows up here.   I just looked and the HRRR does have hints as you suggested. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I have not had a ton of time to look that closely.  Severe does not interest me as much as others.  I need to mow my yard today (#2) though so I hope nothing shows up here.   I just looked and the HRRR does have hints as you suggested. 

I was not thinking severe . Just a few rumbles and some rain would be nice atp.  Thanks Bubbler.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yardstickgozinya said:

I was not thinking severe . Just a few rumbles and some rain would be nice atp.  Thanks Bubbler.

I am confident we get some good rains tomorrow.  It will not be a drought buster IMO but a start.  If the Md drought extends up north of Harrisburg there is going to be some mad grass lovers there! 

18 minutes ago, Yardstickgozinya said:

@mahantango#1 I believe you made a post a few weeks ago about bulbs you planted that did not have healthy looking vegetative growth this season . That's not uncommon at all. Last year was not a great year to establish roots depending on when you planted them. You did nothing wrong they will look better next year. A lot of plant grown from bulbs don't have high nutrient requirements so don't over feed trying to push them to health, you could lock them out or worse burn them.

I don't think they had the proper cooling after I planted them about 90% of them bloomed. Some on the small side. Dug up the tulip bulbs that were in there for about 5 years and purchased new ones from a place in Michigan. But it was mid November when I did all this. So with the winter we had that was on the warm side, I think they didn't receive the proper chilling they require which is about 15 weeks. I'm sure they will look better next spring.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

I don't think they had the proper cooling after I planted them about 90% of them bloomed. Some on the small side. Dug up the tulip bulbs that were in there for about 5 years and purchased new ones from a place in Michigan. But it was mid November when I did all this. So with the winter we had that was on the warm side, I think they didn't receive the proper chilling they require which is about 15 weeks. I'm sure they will look better next spring.

Mahantango going with the harsh winter coming up!  First call I have seen so far. 

Dt is gung ho for tomorrow: *** ALERT    STRONG/ SEVERE  STORM  SATURDAY AFTERNOON  EVENING IN  CENTRAL/  EASTERN NC   VA   MD   DEL  SOUTHEAST PA  SOUTHERN NJ ***

The cold front and it's accompanying showers and storms will advance from west to east. 

IMAGE #1  shows the leading edge of the front  in West Virginia /  southwest Virginia and western North Carolina around 7-8 am on Saturday morning. As the front progresses eastward into the warmer air and the Sunshine … the showers and weak storms will become more significant and intensify.

the short range high resolution models are showing that as the cold front approaches Interstate 95 they will really begin to become serious during the  late afternoon and evening hours.   

By 4:00 pm.  SEE 2ND IMAGE !    there will be  a line of moderate and strong thunderstorms running essentially north to south from central Pennsylvania into central Maryland   -near Hagerstown and Frederick but to the west of Washington DC --then into north central Virginia just to the west of Interstate 95…  West of  Fredericksburg -west of Richmond  and west Emporia and into Central North Carolina near Greensboro.

By 8:00 p.m. this line is really exploding   -  the  line has cleared Richmond and is moving into Southeast Virginia. It has passed to the east of  Raleigh-Durham and it is also cleared Washington DC / Baltimore. The strong / severe line is approaching Philadelphia and moving into the west and half of the Delmarva and  is hitting the  Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula into the Chesapeake Bay.

EXPECT TO SEE  SEVERE  THUNDERSTORM WATCHES  issued Saturday midday for all of Central and Eastern Maryland …southeast Pennsylvania …the Delmarva …Southern New Jersey …Central and Eastern Virginia ….Central and Eastern North Carolina and this includes of course Hampton Roads and the Chesapeake Bay Region for marine interests.  

At this time I don't think a tornado watch will be required but that cannot be ruled out.

Finally  behind this system much colder air  moves Which is something I have been talking about on the video on Wednesday  and in the three week newsletter  for the past two weeks..  A significant Frost is a good bet  for the Virginia Piedmont ….the Shenandoah Valley ….West and Central Maryland ….the Eastern portions of West Virginia ….Southwest Virginia…. and Northwest North Carolina mainly on Monday and Tuesday Mornings Before Dawn 

FB_IMG_1682111897324.jpg

On 4/20/2023 at 8:51 PM, Atomixwx said:

Yeah. It's been very, very warm up this way. I can only imagine how many sets of balls have been sweat off Bradforders to this point.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

7th 80+ at BFD today. Previously, the earliest date on which 7 80+ readings occurred in a calendar year was May 19, in 1962.

• Like 1

Meso's really playing up the line today and more of a fast front passing vs. steady rain now.  3K has rain starting at MDT around 2PM and over by 7PM.  Some nice bands of rain but some losers out my way.  April mowing is done if I do not get at least 1/2" today.   Rgem has a more wide spread 1" or even more for the LSV and east with rain starting around lunch in Harrisburg and last after dark.  Almost all suites have rain gone before midnight.   Rgm has potential hard freeze Tue AM. 

image.png.78e3cba8d8a7f376e437eaa9f228e64b.pngimage.png.9f9f4c5ce750776dcf7c408b27c461ca.png

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Meso's really playing up the line today and more of a fast front passing vs. steady rain now.  3K has rain starting at MDT around 2PM and over by 7PM.  Some nice bands of rain but some losers out my way.  April mowing is done if I do not get at least 1/2" today. 

image.png.78e3cba8d8a7f376e437eaa9f228e64b.pngimage.png.9f9f4c5ce750776dcf7c408b27c461ca.png

Hopefully we all get some rain today. 

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

I think we all get some but the 3K scares me a bit.  3-4 hour front pass and gone.    Tue night is your worry. 

Nws fairly optimistic for today:  Today
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 3pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 72. South wind 11 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Tonight
Showers, mainly before 8pm. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 44. West wind 3 to 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible. We don't need frost and freezing temps next week.

12 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:
Nws fairly optimistic for today:  Today
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 3pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 72. South wind 11 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Tonight
Showers, mainly before 8pm. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 44. West wind 3 to 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible. We don't need frost and freezing temps next week.

Looking at AM models, I think it is a risk to forecast over 1" area wide.    I think frost next week is almost a given right now...3-4 potential nights.  The freeze is the question. 

• Sad 1

Thanks for handling the wind commentary today with [mention=1156]canderson[/mention] being out of town yet again.
Wish we could get him a custom wind cone with side saying "everything bigger in Texas", the other side saying "weenie", and in red Sox colors that he can proudly hang up on his wind magnet of a house

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1