Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

3 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Yeah you gotta watch the Oliver stone doc on nuclear, incredible. Some amazing safe small scale tech now exists. But unfortunately country’s like Germany are shutting down their remaining reactors, in favor of so called green tech like burning trees. Which they import without hesitation from all over the world.

The real fix will come when we have viable fusion, that’s the game changer. 

they're going back to coal for some odd reason.  China is doing that too, which is even more of a concern because of their population.  They think they can go to coal now and then reverse course in time to be carbon neutral by 2060.

Yeah you gotta watch the Oliver stone doc on nuclear, incredible. Some amazing safe small scale tech now exists. But unfortunately country’s like Germany are shutting down their remaining reactors, in favor of so called green tech like burning trees. Which they import without hesitation from all over the world.
The real fix will come when we have viable fusion, that’s the game changer. 

Yup. Look at our Navy. They run on small scale reactors. If we did that, think of the decrease in emissions.

• Thanks 1

giving up nuclear for coal is like punching yourself in the nose repeatedly to stop yourself from sneezing.

That’s one of the things that drives me batty about all of this… we don’t *have* to go put giant wind turbines in the ocean. We have the ability to do all clean energy now with nuclear. We consciously choose not to.

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

they're going back to coal for some odd reason.  China is doing that too, which is even more of a concern because of their population.  They think they can go to coal now and then reverse course in time to be carbon neutral by 2060.

China has been using coal and expanding their coal.  We should not have to make up the excesses that China produces.  We are already the leader in reducing our net greenhouse emissions...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

China has been using coal and expanding their coal.  We should not have to make up the excesses that China produces.  We are already the leader in reducing our net greenhouse emissions...

Yep, China and India are both going in the wrong direction and the end result of that is high levels of air pollution, smoggy skies and severe migraines and breathing problems for millions of people especially near the big cities.  Those are two countries I would not want to visit for a long time.

1 hour ago, Dark Star said:

Cumulative CO₂ emissions - Our World in Data

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, psv88 said:

It absolutely will not happen within our lifetimes. Will take hundreds of years 

hundreds of years from now, if humanity still exists, we'll be an interstellar species.

Progress is logarithmic.

Have a look at this blueprint, we've already achieved some of these goals.

https://energy.ec.europa.eu/topics/research-and-technology/fusion-energy-and-iter_en#the-road-to-fusion

A study on the benefits of broader approach activities under the current agreement and the expected benefits of continued participation was published in May 2021. Major achievements include the design and construction of JT-60SA, the world’s largest tokamak.

On 23 October 2023, JT-60SA began operation, achieving a tokamak plasma for the first time.

but it should-- at least we wouldn't see her on TV if that was the case
what pisses me off is that people who do literally nothing to benefit society make this kind of money.

Hard disagree with you here, and not regarding tax policy.

She’s worth it because a lot of people have decided what she produces, they enjoy. It’s no different than a consumer good like those made by Apple. A lot of people like it and are willing to pay premiums for it. You can’t legislate taste.

If an individual or organization is creating a good that people want, you should be able to enjoy the profits from it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, North and West said:

Hard disagree with you here, and not regarding tax policy.

She’s worth it because a lot of people have decided what she produces, they enjoy. It’s no different than a consumer good like those made by Apple. A lot of people like it and are willing to pay premiums for it. You can’t legislate taste.

If an individual or organization is creating a good that people want, you should be able to enjoy the profits from it.

I believe in a healthy society, billionaires don't exist.

The simple fact is no one needs that much money and there are people who can barely survive who deserve a much more equitable society.  There needs to be not just a wealth tax but a maximum wealth cap for how much a person is allowed to make and keep.  The rest of that money can be used to bring up people who are barely surviving.  Since the 80s our society has rapidly become more disparate.

Not to mention there are people like teachers and nurses who perform a much more useful function in society who are far more important than she is and who have to take on second and third jobs because of dysfunctional society.

And if I owned those teams in either Buffalo or Baltimore, I never would have allowed her to even be in those stadiums-- and as long as she stays out her obnoxious and immature fans would stay away too.

On 2/1/2024 at 12:27 PM, Roger Smith said:

RJay if you wander in, your inbox is full, you can probably guess my message anyway. TIA. 

I deleted so many messages recently.  I guess I'm out this year.  No point with the late penalties.