• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2023 Lawn, Garden, Landscape Party Discussion

Damage In Tolland

I have a Japanese maple (forget the name but it’s quite valuable) that I think suffered from Stein last year. I noticed the leafout this year was rather thin. I also noticed a ton of helicopter seeds as well on the branches. Is this something normal, or do trees do this when they are unhealthy and close to dying? I just hope it’s a phase and it comes back next year. 

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I have a Japanese maple (forget the name but it’s quite valuable) that I think suffered from Stein last year. I noticed the leafout this year was rather thin. I also noticed a ton of helicopter seeds as well on the branches. Is this something normal, or do trees do this when they are unhealthy and close to dying? I just hope it’s a phase and it comes back next year. 

I would be giving it a good amount of water if i were you.

I am sure @tamarackwill be around to give you real advice

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

I would be giving it a good amount of water if i were you.

I am sure @tamarackwill be around to give you real advice

That's good advice.  Also, some maples (red maple in particular) will have a huge and early seed crop, with the full foliage only filling out after most of the whirlygigs have departed.  I'm not very knowledgeable on Japanese maples and their phenology.

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

she gone

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 4

Had to replant most of what I put into the ground on May 29 - foolishly thought the next few days would be warm enough to give the seeds a big push.  May 30-June 2 avg high was 82 peaking at 89, about as expected.  Unfortunately, the avg highs of the 13 days since was 61 and all but one had rain.  Replanted cukes, spag. squash, carrots (that was a surprise) and the 1st row of green beans failed; out of 40 seeds planted, one came up.  2nd row was planted Monday - we prefer beans fresh and uncooked, so a row per week into early July is the strategy.  Beets, arugula, pac choi were okay and the tomatoes/peppers within the black plastic area are holding their own but not much more than that.  Hoping against a 2009 redux.

• Like 1

About 1/4 of my tomato plants have started showing early blight lesions in the past day or two, in spite of my usual pruning regime and weekly Daconil treatments. Usually I can make it to July before foliar diseases show up. It'd be hard to invent a more favorable weather pattern for continued disease pressure than the one coming up.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Yes, If the thieves wouldn't have found my plants, I would still be growing them, Months of work gone in one night, Fuk that, Nobody coming to get my tomatoes......;)

human thieves or animal thieves?

5 hours ago, dryslot said:

Yes, If the thieves wouldn't have found my plants, I would still be growing them, Months of work gone in one night, Fuk that, Nobody coming to get my tomatoes......;)

Damn, let's just say I have some friends who can hear a mouse fart plus a 6 foot fence. I certainly don't expect any trouble,  shit everyone is growing now, making edibles, tinctures.  Pretty awesome setups people have. Year round especially with auto blooms.

11 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Damn, let's just say I have some friends who can hear a mouse fart plus a 6 foot fence. I certainly don't expect any trouble,  shit everyone is growing now, making edibles, tinctures.  Pretty awesome setups people have. Year round especially with auto blooms.

Yup.  Support your neighborhood grower, no need for the dispensaries for most.

34 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

@tamarack @dendrite or others.

are oak trees “water seeking”. I want to get an oak tree for the front yard, as its completely sun, all the time.

Will this be okay with my well in the area?

would you go with another tree?

Oaks grow in rugged terrain. They don’t strike me a water seekers. 

18 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Interesting.

I’ve also considered a poplar, because apparently they grow pretty fast.

about 30-40 feet away from the well is the desired planting spot 

It should be fine imo. Weeping Willows and such suck up lots of water I believe. My area has lots of oaks and it’s quite rocky. Like any tree it will need water, but I don’t think your well will suffer at all. Water will seep into the well from all areas. I don’t think one tree will hurt it.

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Interesting.

Willows are filthy trees, I planted a plum tree, no fruit kind, and it grew fast and provides nice shade on the south side of my house.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Interesting.

poplars suck. i used to have several, all have died. when they die, they die. and when they are dead, they don't stay standing very long. every single one of mine fell over before i could take them down. It looks as though they die at the root ball, because when the fall over, the root ball is very shallow, and there are hardly any visible roots

• Like 1