Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2023 Lawn, Garden, Landscape Party Discussion

Damage In Tolland

1 hour ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Anyone else under absolute bombardment from acorns?

i have some tiny acorns under one of my oaks. i have a couple oaks, they seem to alternate heavy acorns year to year. one doesn't produce too many acorns, but the other one just dumps them. a couple years ago I picked up 3 wheelbarrows full of nothing but acorns.

21 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

i have some tiny acorns under one of my oaks. i have a couple oaks, they seem to alternate heavy acorns year to year. one doesn't produce too many acorns, but the other one just dumps them. a couple years ago I picked up 3 wheelbarrows full of nothing but acorns.

I’ve been in my house for 4 years. Year 1: wheelbarrows full but in the fall and giant acorns. Years 2 & 3: not much. now year 4: tiny acorns in July…

26 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Enjoy a great winter lol. All our Oaks are hurting. Just been a brutal last 10 years for our forests. From gypsy moths, ash borers to tropical storms and wet snowstorms they are decimated and those living aren't looking healthy. Dead trees dropped in the monsoon. It's crazy. A hurricane would probably clear cut acres and acres.

I had this exchange with a buddy. The last couple years I thought the trees around here looked extremely unhealthy. Perhaps it’s just a matter of the cycle and they are at the end of their lives. But also, all the other reasons you mentioned. 

4 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

I’ve been in my house for 4 years. Year 1: wheelbarrows full but in the fall and giant acorns. Years 2 & 3: not much. now year 4: tiny acorns in July…

every year that I have small acorns during the summer, there are just as many giant acorns in the fall. don't worry, it's going to happen

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

What a cutie. I would be planting it something more healthy like kale or salad greens. Maybe if you let that clover go it would leave your other plants alone. lol

I’ve killed off all the clover with spray thankfully this summer. No more of that heinous stuff to look at . Next year I’m going to plant the peas and peppers in pots and leave up on the deck . I never could have imagined what damage one little rabbit could do 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ve killed off all the clover with spray thankfully this summer. No more of that heinous stuff to look at . Next year I’m going to plant the peas and peppers in pots and leave up on the deck . I never could have imagined what damage one little rabbit could do 

I have a bunch of rabbits in my yard too, no plants for them to eat this year but the dog has fun chasing them around the yard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

What a cutie. I would be planting it something more healthy like kale or salad greens. Maybe if you let that clover go it would leave your other plants alone. lol

Yeah, unfortunately, this ain’t happening. My yard is full of clover and the rabbits insist on eating my phlox. It’s starting to get in my nerves 

• Like 1

Have not eaten cottontail since moving out of NJ but have had the occasional snowshoe hare.  The ones I've eaten were tasty but considerably tougher than cottontail (unless I was getting only the older animals).
When we were at our daughter's and family's home last May, they had a cottontail nest under their blackberry thicket - looked like 6 leverets after crows had killed one incautious critter that stayed out on the grass too long.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Supernovice said:

Am I crazy for thinking about dethatching and seeding today… 2 weeks early-ish? Any thoughts?

Just had the entire lawn stripped, regraded, loamed and seeded. Seed went down on Monday and it's popping pretty good. A little early, but given the pattern decided to go for it. 

1 hour ago, wx2fish said:

Just had the entire lawn stripped, regraded, loamed and seeded. Seed went down on Monday and it's popping pretty good. A little early, but given the pattern decided to go for it. 

Kinda my thought- can’t beat the pattern. Also will be away for the next two weeks and before you know it, I’ll be running up against climatological first frost- I like 6 weeks between seeding and frost. Oh well- going for it. Thanks for the input!

1 hour ago, Supernovice said:

Kinda my thought- can’t beat the pattern. Also will be away for the next two weeks and before you know it, I’ll be running up against climatological first frost- I like 6 weeks between seeding and frost. Oh well- going for it. Thanks for the input!

Do you have in ground irrigation to water while your away?

43 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

I do- with water sensor. But ya I dunno I might wait until mid next week when I stop in to hit it one more time then overseed and fertilize. Thunderstorms tonight scare me. Anyways here’s the result, shrunken and manipulated down to fit here- which was surprising tough.

325A2518-2C27-47E6-B2E2-6DCAB8E88DCD.jpeg

If your whole lawn looks like that, I don't know if it needs an overseed. I would just hit it with fertilizer. That looks pretty dense, but pics can be deceiving sometimes.

2 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

If your whole lawn looks like that, I don't know if it needs an overseed. I would just hit it with fertilizer. That looks pretty dense, but pics can be deceiving sometimes.

I mean basically yes, but I have some rust spots I gotta take out etc…it’ll look worse after I’m done with it ha.

4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Bought a couple of Lombardy poplars to add some interest in my backyard.

@tamarack @dendrite

Anything I should be on the lookout for? Seems like they are extremely fast growing 

I think they have a tendency to canker easily. You'll want to prune out any growth that shows sign of it so it doesn't spread.