• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Napril 2023 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

Usually coastal front here means shit weather through June 1st. But this is San Fran this afternoon. Pretty perfect analogy given how torched the atmosphere is just above the surface on up, with very cold SST’s. Nearby Portland Maine can attain this on the regular but not until late June.

70 with a light to moderate breeze and full sun. Fantastic. You guys can keep the record heat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

BAF 92 and HFD 91…time to pull out the MADIS?

93 BAF.

The wind was pretty funky today. Hartford had a southerly wind this afternoon while BDL managed to switch to a SW or WSW breeze a few times when they spiked their temp. probably helped limit Sound influence and a bit of a downslope assist. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

currently 89.6, we'll have to wait to see if it's real or rounded

It’s fake anyway since it’s running like 3F warmer than the real temp. 

It will officially go down as earliest though…previous earliest were 90F on 4/17/02 and 4/19/76

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That 93 is legit... That's been my bounce T for an hr and a half

Pretty sure Scoot has FIT and OWD on the 2F watch list as well. 

It’s kinda weird. We went from the home stations predominantly being warmer than the ASOS sites and now it’s mostly the other way around. I think the home stations have gotten a lot better while many airports now care more about ease of maintenance rather than extreme accuracy of the data. Maybe I’m exaggerating here and it’s only a case of a few here and there. But the improved home stations is a real thing…aspirated shields and improved temp accuracy in that 0F to 100F range. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

These days before full leaf out and green up go big more often than not.  They can be hottest temps of year sometimes.

No transpiration, little shade and also usually low humidity means big differences between H8 and 2 meters.  In 25 years here the year's hottest has been in April once, May 3x (plus a tie) and June 8x.  Despite the fact that the warmest temps here run July 10-Aug 10, 49% of those hottest days fall weeks to months prior to summer's peak.

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I don’t know if it is 3F off.  Home stations around here were hitting 89-91F at similar elevation.  

A lot of home stations run a bit warm though this time of year because so many of them don’t have proper solar shields and foliage isn’t on the trees yet to make up for it. 

ORH has been consistently too warm in MADIS for a couple years now. Best way to test it is during well-mixed atmosphere without solar contamination (which we did during that cold shot in February)…and we saw the indisputable results. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

93 BAF.

The wind was pretty funky today. Hartford had a southerly wind this afternoon while BDL managed to switch to a SW or WSW breeze a few times when they spiked their temp. probably helped limit Sound influence and a bit of a downslope assist. 

I’ll be honest…it was just a casual glance and I haven’t been eyeing BDL long term. But it definitely stood out at the time. Looks like BAF may have snuck at least a 94° in there as well considering how long it was at 34C. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This might be more anomalous than late Mar 1998…or at least on par. prob doesn’t quite beat Dec ‘84 though. 

I’d put Mar 98 as more anomalous up here. Mar 2012 and Apr 76 as well…definitely a different story deeper into SNE though. 

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’d put Mar 98 as more anomalous up here. Mar 2012 and Apr 76 as well…definitely a different story deeper into SNE though. 

Mar ‘98 was pretty close here but maybe back toward BDL this year might have is beat slightly. 

The peak temps of Mar ‘12 I don’t think we’re quite as anomalous here but the duration was obscene. Mar ‘12 actually got warmer in some CNE/NNE spots than here did. (I think places like IZG were cranking mid/upper 80s?)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Mar ‘98 was pretty close here but maybe back toward BDL this year might have is beat slightly. 

The peak temps of Mar ‘12 I don’t think we’re quite as anomalous here but the duration was obscene. Mar ‘12 actually warmer in some CNE/NNE spots than here did. (I think places like IZG were cranking mid/upper 80s?)

Yeah I think they were. CON’s 5 earliest days of 80+ were all that 2012 stretch. 

image.png

26 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Pretty sure Scoot has FIT and OWD on the 2F watch list as well. 

It’s kinda weird. We went from the home stations predominantly being warmer than the ASOS sites and now it’s mostly the other way around. I think the home stations have gotten a lot better while many airports now care more about ease of maintenance rather than extreme accuracy of the data. Maybe I’m exaggerating here and it’s only a case of a few here and there. But the improved home stations is a real thing…aspirated shields and improved temp accuracy in that 0F to 100F range. 

My biggest contention with FIT's been their DP reading. It's consummately below everywhere else, sometimes by as much as 10 F

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This might be more anomalous than late Mar 1998…or at least on par. prob doesn’t quite beat Dec ‘84 though. 

Was mentioning that comparison early, yeah...  This exceeds 1998 by 2-3 F in general, but it's also 2 weeks and couple days later in the solar calendar, during a time of year when 2 weeks a couple days might actually matter.  I can actually recall a low sun angle thinking back 2 weeks ...because my dorkiness knows no bounds LOL

The quality of the air mass is really quite similar though between 1998 and now.  I remember that 91 up on the UML wx lab ON that day the heat maxes, pretty vividly and it's quite similar.   Today did feel hotter though here in N Middlesex Co.    93 was the high here in town.

This has been one helluva a "synoptic heat burst"  worth of wow

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

NAM was absolutely abysmal . It had 50’s in that area of E MA now lol. Awful 

yup, re the NAM.   We discussed it was probably overdoing matters yesterday ..but blowing it by 30 to 40 is pretty astounding - this is the 2nd time in the last week that model has been overzealous with the llv ... but, it going down now and fact of the matter is, by 3 or 4 in the morning we will have found our way down to what the NAM was selling anyway. So it's really a matter of timing/aggression. 

That said, it's kind of playing with a loaded gun and unfair, too.  The difference between NYC, FIT Ma, and the air temp over Cape Cod Bay/Labradorian current, is three distinct climates really...so a bust here is unfairly extra super primo bonkers when it happens - particularly in April.  Flip the wind E and that can cause some truly extraordinary short term corrections.... which it has done in the past.  Man, case in point 1998:  91 to 39 in 10 hours in NE Mass.   Numero Uno biggest zonked correction ever - that wasn't a bust though... It was very well forecast. 

Anyway, it's 74 here now and just about perfect.  That 93 earlier was over board too much to fast for no acclimation.  Same was true yesterday -

All history now until further notice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drstuess said:

Someone brought the literal torch to RI this week. Lots of brush fires.a8a67e15-1fad-4d20-8c4e-dfaa794847db-large16x9_NicholasClavetteDirectUploader14thApr202319_18UTC1.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

My brother’s property is on the eastern edge of the evacuation zone and he’s been watching National Guard blackhawks fly overhead scooping water from local ponds. 650 acres have burned. A fire in West Greenwich burned 200 acres over the past 48 hours. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2