Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter El Nino Tracking Thread 2023-2024

Ji

8 minutes ago, Ji said:

Just realized those maps are the average of the last 12 runs. Maybe give it a few days lol

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

It's an ensemble based system I believe. For a seasonal/super LR tool, it updates way too frequently tbh. Some people think it's an awful model because it appears to be all over the place, but that is really just noise. If it updated once weekly or monthly like the CanSIPS, the output over a series of runs would be more consistent.

12 hours ago, nj2va said:

Acorns are growing on our mature oak trees in the front of the house.  Last year, the tree didn’t produce any acorns — and we had no snow.  The year before that, we had lots of acorns and wound up with an 11” storm.  #winteriscoming 

Mother Nature is providing for the squirrels when the deep snow arrives!!  Never fails

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Great pattern for it to begin September...cold locked by the pole while we roast.

My sleep deprived brain can't tell if this is satire or not. There's so many indices and oscillations anymore that I can't tell if we're looking at a shutout for the upcoming winter or if we actually have a shot at hitting climo.

4 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

My sleep deprived brain can't tell if this is satire or not. There's so many indices and oscillations anymore that I can't tell if we're looking at a shutout for the upcoming winter or if we actually have a shot at hitting climo.

I think Maryland has a great shot at climo.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I also thought that you would do okay last season, but the ceiling is much higher for you this year than it has been in several years.

My ceiling is climo for NW Baltimore County (About 20 to 24 inches seasonal total). Don't want it all in one big storm, would rather have it a couple of 6" - 10" storms so I don't have to go into work.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

My ceiling is climo for NW Baltimore County (About 20 to 24 inches seasonal total). Don't want it all in one big storm, would rather have it a couple of 6" - 10" storms so I don't have to go into work.

Your ceiling is greater than climo this year.....most of it will probably come in one big dump.

• Like 1

I also think we have a higher than normal chance for a big dump. 

I need to work out the exact stats/probs, but it’s probably something like:

Avg climo: 5% chance of one 15”+ hit (in any given winter)
This winter: 25% chance (note this still means 75% chance we don’t get a big KU hit)

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

I also think we have a higher than normal chance for a big dump. 

I need to work out the exact stats/probs, but it’s probably something like:

Avg climo: 5% chance of one 15”+ hit (in any given winter)
This winter: 25% chance (note this still means 75% chance we don’t get a big KU hit)

Don't want a big KU event. I don't wait to sit in a windowless EOC watching snow fall on empty roads. I want to be at home enjoying it.

51 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

you guys are going to like this

F44WfOkWoAArzt3.thumb.png.55c190312c3793477533d7d5bc133b50.png

Classic -NAO. Colder/more snow in W Europe with that look too. Still Basin wide I guess. Interested to see the monthly breakdown later. Probably meh Dec, then gets better into Jan. March might become a winter month again too.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Classic -NAO. Colder/more snow in W Europe with that look too. Still Basin wide I guess. Interested to see the monthly breakdown later. Probably meh Dec, then gets better into Jan. March might become a winter month again too.

nah it's just loaded all the way through. I expect December to be on the warmer side though

this is also the MSLP anomaly... the 500mb will be different but should still show a potent -NAO

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

nah it's just loaded all the way through. I expect December to be on the warmer side though

this is also the MSLP anomaly... the 500mb will be different but should still show a potent -NAO

Yeah I just noticed that. Still implies west based blocking with an active and favorable storm track.

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Yeah I just noticed that. Still implies west based blocking with an active and favorable storm track.

yup. we're getting to the point where the seasonals are going to get the general flavor of the winter correct... sure, they might be a bit off, of course, but they usually don't completely flop at this point. the CanSIPS had this for last winter at this point, and it got it right generally

cansips_z500aMean_month_namer_4.png.6e475cef1969726a342aca37ac7ea187.png

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Serious question, not trolling, because I don’t understand this…

Can someone explain to me why we’re having a La Nina pattern (hot and dry, plus active hurricane season) while we’re in an El Nino? Does ENSO actually matter anymore? 

Because ssts in the WPAC and mid latitudes are warming faster than the tropics, El Nino influence is muted. It would need to get stronger to exert the same influence as weaker ones did in the past. The opposite is true for La Ninas. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF changed the title to Winter El Nino Tracking Thread 2023-2024