Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 9-10 Winter Storm

madwx

55 minutes ago, Owensnow said:

can someone please explain to me how it is that almost everyone of these events quits halfway through the forecasted event?

Woke up this morning, and it was snowing very nicely, and now already reduced to pixie dust with supposedly five more hours to go?

Same thing happens when there are nocturnal t-storms that develop in IA/WI and coming in from the west like this (we get the remnants).  They just tend to peak to our west and as the continue to move into and drier and more stable environment it loses the intensity it used to have.  This is why I did not have high expectations for this event.  If the much deeper low pressure model solutions (995-1000mb), from 3-5 days would have occurred, then it would have been much better for us as the dynamics would have helped overcome the drier/stable environment much better.   

1 minute ago, Lightning said:

Same thing happens when there are nocturnal t-storms that develop in IA/WI and coming in from the west like this (we get the remnants).  They just tend to peak to our west and as the continue to move into and drier and more stable environment it loses the intensity it used to have.  This is why I did not have high expectations for this event.  If the much deeper low pressure model solutions (995-1000mb), from 3-5 days would have occurred, then it would have been much better for us as the dynamics would have helped overcome the drier/stable environment much better.   

Our squall line will happen sooner or later. One day we all will be waking up over SE mich with a derecho on our doorsteps as ALEK has alluded 

21 minutes ago, Chinook said:

This winter sucks. There is about 1" to 2" on grass and no snow on pavement because it was so warm.

2 minutes ago, TheNiño said:

And the snow is already half melted lol 

Well at least we don't have to shovel ;)

56 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

Our squall line will happen sooner or later. One day we all will be waking up over SE mich with a derecho on our doorsteps as ALEK has alluded 

Wouldn't mind repeating 2021 as it was one of my best thunderstorm filled summer.  :gun:

On 3/8/2023 at 9:24 PM, snowman33 said:

Not an expert by any means, just part of we the people... but I have lived in LOT my entire life and I think the office has done a terrible job with headlines this winter, well below their average. Lake, McHenry, and even Northern Cook should be under a Winter Storm Warning if you ask me. I bet we'll be seeing plenty of 6"+ reports out of this region Friday morning. Too much pessimism and not enough objectivity.

• Weenie 2

32 minutes ago, snowman33 said:

Not an expert by any means, just part of we the people... but I have lived in LOT my entire life and I think the office has done a terrible job with headlines this winter, well below their average. Lake, McHenry, and even Northern Cook should be under a Winter Storm Warning if you ask me. I bet we'll be seeing plenty of 6"+ reports out of this region Friday morning. Too much pessimism and not enough objectivity.

Come on - this NWS bashing is ridiculous.  What are you trying to accomplish?

I'm in Lake County IL, and we had about 4"...which has already compacted down to 2" and continues to melt.  A warning was not needed, even for the locations which had 5-7".  Headline calls are both an art and a science.

Of course I wish the NWS were wrong and we ended up with 10-15" that actually stays on the ground for awhile, as I'm a winter weenie and only care about the outcome.  But that has nothing to do with the NWS's job, which is great most of the time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Really enjoyed this one. It was awesome out this morning. The snow has compacted some and fallen off the trees for the most part now but there's still plenty of white gold around. This is the 3rd snowfall since January that I could not use my snowblower because it was clogging lol. I do miss powder but these wet snows make for incredible scenes. 

Unlike last friday's storm where I missed the heavier amounts of snow to my north and west, this one seemed to hit the immediate metro/south burbs the hardest. I finished with 5.3" which brings my March total to 12.4" and season to 34.0". DTW had 5.2" bringing March to 13.0" and season to 34.2".

FB_IMG_1678475932039.jpg

FB_IMG_1678475876767.jpg

FB_IMG_1678475896133.jpg

FB_IMG_1678475889687.jpg

FB_IMG_1678476703918.jpg

• Like 10

There was 9.5" in the grass right around daybreak this morning, but if you went out and measured now you'd never know it.  It's already compacted and melted down to about 5" on the grass and 3" pure slush on sidewalks and driveways.  Looking at the puddles I'd say probably 15% melting and 30% compacting.

It seems the temperature had a huge impact on totals.  When it was hovering around 30 it accumulated pretty efficiently, then it rose above freezing and instantly compacted to your standard 10:1.

1 hour ago, snowman33 said:

Two issues though...

For one, widespread warning criteria snowfall amounts did not occur in Lake or Northern Cook counties. Those type of amounts did occur in Northern Ogle, Winnebago, Boone and McHenry counties though. However, that sort of outcome for much of that corridor had very little in the way of support going into the event. As we all know, higher corridors often do occur, as do 'screw zone' corridors.

As much as I tend to hate on the NWS at times (More-so the SPC), their headlines were perfectly fine in the LOT CWA.

43 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Really enjoyed this one. It was awesome out this morning. The snow has compacted some and fallen off the trees for the most part now but there's still plenty of white gold around. This is the 3rd snowfall since January that I could not use my snowblower because it was clogging lol. I do miss powder but these wet snows make for incredible scenes. 

Unlike last friday's storm where I missed the heavier amounts of snow to my north and west, this one seemed to hit the immediate metro/south burbs the hardest. I finished with 5.3" which brings my March total to 12.4" and season to 34.0". DTW had 5.2" bringing March to 13.0" and season to 34.2".

Awesome.  You definitely did better then MBY :thumbsup:

We got about 4" but the March sun angle has done it's damage quickly.  All I had to do is walk on my asphalt slightly exposing the blacktop and within 2-3 hours the driveway snow turned into water :lol: .  I did have to shovel other areas with concrete though.

• Like 1

Come on - this NWS bashing is ridiculous.  What are you trying to accomplish?
I'm in Lake County IL, and we had about 4"...which has already compacted down to 2" and continues to melt.  A warning was not needed, even for the locations which had 5-7".  Headline calls are both an art and a science.
Of course I wish the NWS were wrong and we ended up with 10-15" that actually stays on the ground for awhile, as I'm a winter weenie and only care about the outcome.  But that has nothing to do with the NWS's job, which is great most of the time.

I bet if you slipped @RCNYILWX a hundo, he’d start back up the snow machine.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Everyone focuses on severe weather, but I enjoy non-severe nocturnal storms as they are the best for recording thunder.

Agreed as I just love lightning streaks, thunder and heavy rain.  Damaging winds and hail (unless pea sized or less) are not necessary for me!!

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

Awesome.  You definitely did better then MBY :thumbsup:

We got about 4" but the March sun angle has done it's damage quickly.  All I had to do is walk on my asphalt slightly exposing the blacktop and within 2-3 hours the driveway snow turned into water :lol: .  I did have to shovel other areas with concrete though.

I noticed that too. Spots of the pavement had very little snow/slush depth and other spots had more. Under trees had less. It also got up to 36゚ here so that helped with melting/compaction. Still a nice solid blanket of white several inches deep that should freeze up nicely tonight with temperatures going into the 20s.

• Like 1