• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 3-4 Potential Winter Storm

Hoosier

No big changes from thoughts posted yesterday about the 3 plausible outcomes. While I wouldn't be surprised if we end up more rain and some backside snow in Chicago and burbs off to the west and southwest, we're still in the game.

12z Euro op fits the idea that this type of system could end up farther NW, even with downstream blocking. That said, the Euro op was too amped at this range for the pre-Christmas storm, also an anomalous setup. Still giving the Euro suite more weight, but too early for a firm call given the large spread in the guidance. Should see the goalposts start to narrow tonight and tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We were discussing the Feb. 1960 cyclone in a local St. Louis forum and so I decided to pull the reanalysis for it. It actually looks like a good analog to the current storm.
xY1PPTC.png
MUqOqhh.png
S7W1ufM.png
One of the more recent possible analogs to this storm that I can think of is the late November 2018 winter storm (blizzard warnings that didn't verify due to the wet snow were in effect but it was a high impact event).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Harry said:

Best thing going for those of us in southern MI is the mjo emerging in phase 7. Usually a ideal spot to be for those wanting a more southerly track across IN/OH. 

The -NAO is good.  Just wish we had a bit of a -AO or really a neutral one.

• Like 1

The Kuchera algorithm will probably be better for this event, but another way to produce an event "floor", particularly outside of the most intense banding, is positive snow depth change. It's basically always lower than 10:1 or Kuchera, so a good way to keep expectations in check, especially in heavy, wet snow settings. Can use soundings and perhaps Kuchera ratios to figure roughly how much you'd want to bump up amounts from positive snow depth change in the prolonged heaviest banding areas.

One note of caution with the positive snow depth change is that if the model has an issue with snow depth parameterization, like the GFS did for for the ice storm, the positive snow depth change product will be affected.

It's available for most guidance on Pivotal Wx, WxBell, and I assume Wx Models as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Canadian with similar type track as gfs, but with less cold sector precip. The volatility between runs on these models still surprises me. Getting worse with more updates. 

The track is most important IMO.  Precip will typically fall into place.

18z GEFS (either op run is an outlier or there are amped runs well northwest)
image.png.9206129433341f535be346b5638fd06b.png
Additional 18z GEFS content via WxBell and Pivotal Wx. I included the 50th percentile 10:1 snowfall from WxBell. If there's any interest in additional percentile data, let me know. 8a1a99f9c1458c52fd9ed5efb0d56377.jpg9a5f5b4fd59563b0846048164872663d.jpg8334771ff1e215b6b37bd697653964b5.jpg2f4231cffb3ee9df20ee8f85a75f0b92.jpge36040c0de64c36d201dd84e3fb6ecb3.jpgd2d502e85a4f356efca4dea9ed92c0e4.jpg6c5150d5e8f602cb57ab563c34b660ea.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5