• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Very persistent signal for moderate snow and ice impact between "Wed night" and "Thur night" this week

Typhoon Tip

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

2nd batch is where the cold tuck could be dangerous. 

Still not seeing much trend so far at 12z. NAM still an absolute furnace and we don’t even get much precip from round 1. Dryslotted. 

RGEM cooled a tick (lot of sleet after brief snow)

ICON cooled even more, has a pretty decent thump on the pike kind of like the euro. 

Im guessing NAM is too amped but the colder models are too flat if someone held a gun to my head. 

2nd batch is what to watch for sure. I just don't see much snow near the pike. Will be happy to be wrong, but just my gut.

Just now, tunafish said:

How far north are those torched mid-levels on the NAM?  Asking for a backyard near me.

They taint your area. NAM might be too far north synoptically..which is the thing to watch. We know it can handle the elevated warm layers well, but it only matters if it is correct synoptically. If it is simply just too far north with the storm, then it will be wrong. 

I think Euro/GFS are likely too cold aloft here but the magnitude will matter a lot…esp for those more up near NH border. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

GFS soundings don't really show that classic warm bulge aloft compared to the NAM. Not sure that makes sense at all. The NAM does show this, ..but maybe the whole solution is too far north. So take the soundings, but think about a possible correction south. 

Yeah there is a complete disconnect synoptically right now with NAM and others. It’s basically dryslotting us before any real robust precip. That’s separate than a simple sounding disagreement. 

51 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

2nd batch is where the cold tuck could be dangerous. 

Still not seeing much trend so far at 12z. NAM still an absolute furnace and we don’t even get much precip from round 1. Dryslotted. 

RGEM cooled a tick (lot of sleet after brief snow)

ICON cooled even more, has a pretty decent thump on the pike kind of like the euro. 

Im guessing NAM is too amped but the colder models are too flat if someone held a gun to my head. 

NAM was awful outlier in this Tuesday event, I expect a cold trend into Thursday. But for most I'm skeptical about how significant the shift would actually be. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah there is a complete disconnect synoptically right now with NAM and others. It’s basically dryslotting us before any real robust precip. That’s separate than a simple sounding disagreement. 

Yeah I was comparing similar areas in the snow shield to get a thermal sense because taking the sounding at the same location is night and day between NAM and GFS, 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

GFS decided to cool slightly. Decent thump for MA. At some point either the NAM or the globals are going to make some noticeable moves. 

well they'd better hurry ... Running out of time before they have to just be flat out considered busts...

I don't accept in recent tech advancing in these tools ... a day's lead than 'oh, by the way'?

UN acceptable.   That is a failure

That said... were/if folks were 'hoping' cold corrections would continue right on into a snowier solution for us, down here, ...yeah, not impossible. But it was never really on the better side of the odds with this mess.  It's still really unchanged to be blunt.  Looks like RUT -PWM ~ latitude for snow to me, with IP --> ZR --> cold rain however far it takes to ruin yet another opportunity in this winter of misfits going S. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I was comparing similar areas in the snow shield to get a thermal sense because taking the sounding at the same location is night and day between NAM and GFS, 

Almost seems like it's more of a synoptic issue with the track of the mid level lows than a typical meso vs global kind of battle in a SWFE. 

• Typhoon Tip changed the title to Very persistent signal for moderate snow and ice impact between "Wed night" and "Thur night" this week
  • ORH_wxman unpinned this topic