Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

9 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Thing is, we haven't seen this depiction all winter...it's been like 100 miles north of this with the best over Canada border region usually. So even if this is too far south, it's going to bode well for a large part of NNE/CNE.

I agree. Just not sure for most of the snow starved sne group.

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this is easily the best threat for CNE/SNE towards NYC that we've had all winter. not close

hopefully we can hold until it's within 4-5 days

I mean, it’s 5 days out on the 00z runs tonight (at least the onset). I don’t see how we don’t get this inside of 5 days. 

The main shortwave responsible for this is already onshore (at least partially) over the Pacific Northwest so we don’t have any major data assimilation issues for that part of it. I really think the two main factors are going to be the block (which has been slowly ticking stronger) and that second shortwave that tries to phase on the euro (doesn’t quite get there on GFS). 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I mean, it’s 5 days out on the 00z runs tonight (at least the onset). I don’t see how we don’t get this inside of 5 days. 

The main shortwave responsible for this is already onshore (at least partially) over the Pacific Northwest so we don’t have any major data assimilation issues for that part of it. I really think the two main factors are going to be the block (which has been slowly ticking stronger) and that second shortwave that tries to phase on the euro (doesn’t quite get there on GFS). 

yeah, it hinges on the block, IMO. if that trends weaker, the positive shifts today completely reverse as it'll speed up the flow and lead to a less amped and warmer solution. if it trends stronger, the system slows and ticks S, putting a SNE-HV-NYC bomb on the table

in terms of the second piece, I think we want to see that half-assed Plains ridging tick up in strength. if it does, there's a greater chance that the second piece dives in, phases, and bring the potential through the roof. the ECMWF seemed increase the strength of it at 12z

also, the off-hour EPS runs are in range, which is huge. those are a real blessing

2 hours ago, TalcottWx said:

That is a miller b as noted in kocin-uccelini books. Some of our most historic storms come from that look believe it or not. 

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think he’s a met under a different username. 

T-Blizz is right. I got both my BS & MS from UML. I got a 6 month old so my red tag has been a low priority.

At UML I did a quick research project on which storm type, A or B, gives Lowell the most snow. I went through the NESIS scores and determined top 5 obvious A & B storms. I don’t remember exact numbers, but I think it’s B by a couple inches on average. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

yeah, it hinges on the block, IMO. if that trends weaker, the positive shifts today completely reverse as it'll speed up the flow and lead to a less amped and warmer solution. if it trends stronger, the system slows and ticks S, putting a SNE-HV-NYC bomb on the table

in terms of the second piece, I think we want to see that half-assed Plains ridging tick up in strength. if it does, there's a greater chance that the second piece dives in, phases, and bring the potential through the roof. the ECMWF seemed increase the strength of it at 12z

also, the off-hour EPS runs are in range, which is huge. those are a real blessing

George started a thread calling for a top 10 Boston blizzard so we’ll need you there to confirm his wishes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris12WX said:

T-Blizz is right. I got both my BS & MS from UML. I got a 6 month old so my red tag has been a low priority.

At UML I did a quick research project on which storm type, A or B, gives Lowell the most snow. I went through the NESIS scores and determined top 5 obvious A & B storms. I don’t remember exact numbers, but I think it’s B by a couple inches on average. 

Yea. B’s are definitely better for EMA from a pure observational standpoint. I’ve been skunked by too many B’s in WCT and CNJ. 

2 hours ago, Chris12WX said:

Am I the only one who thinks the Euro's evolution is a bit....odd? Like the primary tracks to Montreal and the secondary moves southeast away from us and somehow we pull like 2.5" of QPF? 

The GFS probably runs the primary and secondary too far into the block. The Euro is overdoing it. Leaving the GGEM as reasonable?

18z GFS more in line with a surface evolution for a big dog compared to Euro in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. B’s are definitely better for EMA from a pure observational standpoint. I’ve been skunked by too many B’s in WCT and CNJ. 

Your area is still pretty good in Bs though the skunk factor defin it let goes up in them there. But storms like Jan 2011 and Feb 2013 are great examples of crushing Bs there.