Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Tropical Tracking Thread

SnowenOutThere

9 hours ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Thanks, but I'm looking for one in map form.  A couple sources are saying they see models showing a possible modoki nino.

Here's the CFSv2 site:   CFSv2 Seasonal Climate Forecasts (noaa.gov)

Here's another good link:  Climate Prediction Center - NMME Forecasts of Monthly Climate Anomalies: 3-Month Mean Spatial Anomalies (noaa.gov)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MDstorm said:

Thank you! Those don't look very modoki-like for djf.

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, but I can't recall seeing a system that rides so closely against the Baja coast and runs into southern California like the GFS is showing for early next week.

Not just GFS, looks like most or all the models are showing pretty much the same. It should be, but it's not surprising that Cali may be affected by a tropical system before anyone on the east coast...

And yeah, that is very rare. Looks like tropical storm Lidia in 2017 is the latest system that came close to that. Unless Hurricane Kay last year counts. Neither went directly into Cali.

98L, although convectively disorganized, looks to be leading the pack as it has a more robust low level spin and maybe some convection trying to organize. It’s the front runner tonight to be the first NS since Don, though a combination of dry air and shear will likely kill it next week. 

98L is more convectively active but it still looks to be tied up in the monsoon trough with elongated vorticity and is still connected by my eye to the new lemon just to the west. That lemon, which the Euro continues to like, could become a player for the Antilles of it can separate. It should be noted that this region has been most convectively active, so it stands to reason if it can acquire spin and avoid SAL to the north given its location it has a legitimate chance. 

Meanwhile, nothing new for the Gulf lemon. Still worth watching but I don’t think we get a better sense of things until the disturbance reaches the Gulf. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Kinda standard operating procedure for a niño, no? (Or is the dust caused by something else?)

Not quite. SAL has been historically low until recently. Sometimes you get a double edged sword of stronger waves kicking up more dust. Climatology suggests that the SAL becomes less of an issue in September and early October when the MDR is at its peak.

On Hilary, an excellent thread on the meteorology behind the rain threat. FFWs already being issued as the PRE hits Nevada.

• Like 1

Alright folks, it's just about that time to ring the bell. After a dead period late July through most of August, right on cue the basin is alive. 

With a caveat. 

Let's start here. 

Despite our dead period, we've been pretty active for a Nino, which means anything near normal activity. In fact, today is the first day we go BN ACE this season according to Brian McNoldy. 

2IBjKP6.png

I only say this because now is really when the rubber needs to meet the road in determining what kind of season we have, which I'll talk about more when I do my peak season forecast.

For now, though, let's take our first look around the basin in quite some time. 

ULHL8Sn.png

giphy.gif

There are five areas to watch. The basin is active in the sense that there are legitimate disturbances out there--the basin is filled with them--but the overall environment for development, and certainly high end development, remains relatively hostile. Let's go one by one. 

Western Atlantic Orange--WxW007 Development Odds: 60% 
giphy.gif

I've been watching this one for a while now, and while it still needs a lot of work, the guidance continues to believe that this will consolidate enough over the Gulf to allow for some modest development. We all know the water in the Gulf is warm, and actually some of the warmest on the globe this year.

l12TXBj.png

However, I think the availability of moisture in the Gulf, and just enough of a window with lower shear will allow for development before a landfall in the western Gulf coast near the TX/Mexico border. Time is a factor. Let's see how coherent this disturbance is as it passes Florida. 

Op25tXu.png

Invest 90L--Development Odds: 70%
giphy.gif

I am bullish on this disturbance, and I have been for a while. While there was a debate on whether the monsoon trough would even break down, the western end of the trough remained convectively active. As the MT broke apart into three distinct areas, this one remained south, which is critical because it has thus far evaded the overwhelming influence of SAL and shear. 

5pUbg1F.jpg

wg8shr.GIF

It's not great, but it's just enough IMO, a theme of this post as we look around this part of the basin. The models may be playing catch up with this one, but let's see what the trends are today. Last night's intense convective burst was helpful IMO. This is one to watch in the Antilles, because as it moves into the Caribbean if it isn't sheared we should see stronger convection as it organizes some. Long term fate is uncertain. 

Invests 98L & 99L--Development Odds: 50%
giphy.gif

The water vapor says it all. These two were the leaders in the clubhouse, but you have everything you need to know by my combining the two in a quick paragraph. They're too north and they're struggling in a hostile environment. 98L is about to get sandblasted by shear and SAL. While 99L looks like it has a well established LLC, it's sheared and it's only going to get worse. If I had to place bets, the NHC designates 98L eventually but it's a minimal TS at best. Meh. 

New Wave on the Block--Development Odds 50%
giphy.gif

Another wave is poised to exit Africa, and it is another vigorous one. With 98L and 99L likely to be sacrificial waves at the end of the day, this may pave the way for this wave (or a subsequent one) to have better development odds, provided they don't get decapitated by shear. Even then, these strong waves that are forecast to come off into September may find a more favorable environment west if the SAL and TUTT shear persists in the MDR. Some guidance is latching onto this idea, but we'll see. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

On 8/16/2023 at 12:34 PM, mattie g said:

Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, but I can't recall seeing a system that rides so closely against the Baja coast and runs into southern California like the GFS is showing for early next week.

Kathleen in 1976 had almost an identical track.  It cause lots of flooding and pretty much wiped out one town.  image.thumb.png.f6bfe3bd81c8c76123a332cf4e6b8a96.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4