Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday, January 6, 2023 Light snow event

weatherwiz

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

My biggest "worry" from a forecasting perspective on bust potential is the IVT/norlun look prolongs the heavier snow over central/eastern areas for 3-4 hours tomorrow evening. That could turn a 2-3" event into a 6er.

The lower end bust potential will be if the BL has trouble cooling (esp lower elevations...don't think this will apply for higher terrain)....but if we're ripping 20-30 microbars in the DGZ, I have a hard time believing even the coastal plain doesn't flip to moderate/heavy snow for a time.

Agreed. Also, this isn't a scenario where you have a rapidly drying column. The column remains quite moist and you still have some weak ulvl divergence present so that's a real possibility. 

57 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Looks like the Ukie jumped on board after really not having much at 0z. Hopefully the euro juices up some. 

I thought the euro did look a little more heftier than its previous cycle on this - no? 12 Z yesterday was a bit more scant than 0Z etc. but I didn’t look at the 06Z overnight

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Euro looks good for nrn ORH hills and SNH. Seems like QPF and boundary layer issues south of that area. Basically lack of good rates.

Euro least impressive of all the 12z guidance. Although maybe it;s just doing the usual "I don't want to make a huge jump in one cycle" thing that it loves to do....because Euro was also the least impressive on almost every previous run too but it's been slowly juicing up.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Euro least impressive of all the 12z guidance. Although maybe it;s just doing the usual "I don't want to make a huge jump in one cycle" thing that it loves to do....because Euro was also the least impressive on almost every previous run too but it's been slowly juicing up.

Definitely juicier. Even tried to advect some below 0C air at 925 from the Gulf of Maine. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

RAP or bust. :lol: 

RAP or bust. :lol: 

Or Herpes/RGEM....

Heck, I'll take the GFS too or Ukie...they all looked pretty good. Euro was the usual turd in the punch bowl, but lets see if it does the typical Euro sleaze and slowly ramps it up at 18z and 00z on the rates...or if it scores a coup

• Like 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Or Herpes/RGEM....

Heck, I'll take the GFS too or Ukie...they all looked pretty good. Euro was the usual turd in the punch bowl, but lets see if it does the typical Euro sleaze and slowly ramps it up at 18z and 00z on the rates...or if it scores a coup

I'll be happy just to whiten things up. Seems doable, but I know the risk either way.

• Like 2

I feel like it's good either way for you for at least a couple.

Yeah I don't think any model would give him under 2". Euro was closer to 4" though and so was the 12z NAM....but the NAM was better than the Euro for down in SNE.

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Injection low comma head is a fun place to be with these. As long as the surface cooperates. 

Do you remember this event? It was like a 2-4/3-5 forecast and ended up as a 5-9" high end bust away from immediate water....but even BOS had like 3" when they weren;t forecasted to get much of anything. Your injection low comment reminded me of it....that was def an injection low. Dynamics were better for that one so i dont expect the same insanity, but a surprise high end advisory event isn't out of the question

image.png.e39f8a626fd2e2bbed560fb4dd3ea0e8.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Do you remember this event? It was like a 2-4/3-5 forecast and ended up as a 5-9" high end bust away from immediate water....but even BOS had like 3" when they weren;t forecasted to get much of anything. Your injection low comment reminded me of it....that was def an injection low. Dynamics were better for that one so i dont expect the same insanity, but a surprise high end advisory event isn't out of the question

image.png.e39f8a626fd2e2bbed560fb4dd3ea0e8.png

I remember. Milton had like 4" and I had a coating lol. But yeah, I know what you mean. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1