Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023

wdrag

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

The smoothing can result in large differences between what fell at a specific location and the average figure for a geographic area.

Yeah, also I think they put great weight into specific reporting stations like Bridgeport which reported a ridiculous 15 inches (official report from Fairfield next town over was also 27). 

Darien, Wilton, Westport, Norwalk and Fairfield all reported 22 plus yet the 15 by Bridgeport must have really pulled it down.

• Like 2

Pretty bad stretch of winters starting with 18/19 with only 20/21 with above average snowfall.

However we have been through this before (87/88 through 91/92, 96/97 through 01/02, pretty much the 30 year period from 1970 through 2000 with the exception of 77/78, 93/94 and 95/96).

We will have another great stretch of winters again like the 1960s and this century, I just hope it's not another terrible 30 year stretch like before!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

13/14 had 57.4 going into end of February/march. The pattern ended up being too suppressive going forward. 

2011 once the blocking broke down you knew it was over 

Yup, although we still had 1 minor and 1 moderate event later on that year, but the big storm potential was done.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I think they weigh area coverage much higher than top amount of snow. 

1993 and 1996 were extremely vast in area affected.

2016 was definitely right up there just a little less.

Yeah Jan 2016 wasn't higher than those 2 (1993 and 1996) but I would rank it higher than March 1960

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Yup, although we still had 1 minor and 1 moderate event later on that year, but the big storm potential was done.

This is not about that but just some thoughts about the current pattern.

People blaming this on La Nina are a little off target IMO.  This winter isn't behaving like a la nina, especially not with that firehose of moisture going right into California (which they really need).  This winter has a mixture of el nino and la nina elements or more accurately, it's behaving like a neutral enso.

AND NEUTRAL IS THE WORST POSSIBLE ENSO TO GET.

especially after a la nina!

Just like la nina after el ninos become our hall of fame winters (following hall of fame summers), neutral after la ninas become our hall of shame winters.

Look at this list of neutral winters after la nina....

1989-90

2001-02

2011-12

Some list huh?

This is behaving MUCH more like a neutral enso.....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

This is not about that but just some thoughts about the current pattern.

People blaming this on La Nina are a little off target IMO.  This winter isn't behaving like a la nina, especially not with that firehose of moisture going right into California (which they really need).  This winter has a mixture of el nino and la nina elements or more accurately, it's behaving like a neutral enso.

AND NEUTRAL IS THE WORST POSSIBLE ENSO TO GET.

especially after a la nina!

Just like la nina after el ninos become our hall of fame winters, neutral after la ninas become our hall of shame winters.

Look at this list of neutral winters after la nina....

1989-90

2001-02

2011-12

Some list huh?

This is behaving MUCH more like a neutral enso.....

Yeah pretty sad (although I am loving the energy savings).

I do feel like we were extremely unlucky in December like 89.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Suppressed patterns were common in the 80s though, it was just too cold for snow back then :P

Before it warmed up too much for snow lol

Last year the Delmarva had a historic snow season which was south of us too.

It still snows south of us, it just always misses DC somehow (in the MA forum they mentioned that in La Ninas the storm track is always NE or SE of DC area).

Also I grew up in the 80s and 90s. Yes there were cold years but 100% fact we had some really really warm winters too. 

Just now, EastonSN+ said:

Last year the Delmarva had a historic snow season which was south of us too.

It still snows south of us, it just always misses DC somehow (in the MA forum they mentioned that in La Ninas the storm track is always me or SE of DC area).

Also I grew up in the 80s and 90s. Yes there were cold years but 100% fact we had some really really warm winters too. 

Yeah the common theme back then was all the cold was frontloaded and then it was warm in February and beyond.

December and January were especially MUCH colder back then but usually cold and dry.  February became warmer and by then even if it was stormy it was too warm for snow.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Walt, so 0.1" snow this morning at MPO and 0.5"? yesterday?

I saw Boston had 1.2"-- is this their first snow of the season?

Not correct as far as I can tell. 

Boston 0.2.  

MPO 0.1 today.

Another Poconos location found on CoCoRaHs had 0.6 yesterday. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Yeah the common theme back then was all the cold was frontloaded and then it was warm in February and beyond.

December and January were especially MUCH colder back then but usually cold and dry.  February became warmer and by then even if it was stormy it was too warm for snow.

Yup.

I remember it was always much colder in fall back then.

Also, April's were so warm and nice it seemed. Now they are cold and rainy.

• Like 1

Just now, SACRUS said:

Records for today

Highs:

EWR: 64 (2012)
NYC: 64 (1907, 2012)
LGA: 62 (2012)
JFK: 61 (2012)

Lows:

LGA: 4 (2014)
NYC: 4 (2014)
JFK: 4 (2018)