• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

3.1 inches of snow in Marysville at 11:30 am.

Same story here as @CarlislePaWx just mentioned for the last half hour.

When rates pick up, snow flake size increases, but when it backs off, possible mixing is occurring with small fine flakes.

My Temp is up to 33 now.

It looks beautiful out there just a few days before Christmas!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

After this event, it might be close the blinds for 2 to 3 weeks.

Yeah, looked at some morning Ens runs, and mid next week through first few days (week) of Jan look warmer than a few days ago.  As our cold is often delayed I'm hoping that doesnt happen once again (and I should say cool -  cause guidance doesnt look cold....just less warm. 

12 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

@Itstrainingtime, on the subject of the good records you keep, if the HRRR is right your first snow of the year and possibly coldest day of the year will go both down as being +10 AN Highs for those days.  I really dislike those midnight highs as they mask weather when looked at years in the future. 

Tomorrow will ultimately be remembered for the wind, cold, and we'll have to see about any snow. The fact that it'll probably be around 50 early in the day will be long forgotten. 

It really is deceiving given what the majority of the day is going to feature in terms of sensible weather. 

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Tomorrow will ultimately be remembered for the wind, cold, and we'll have to see about any snow. The fact that it'll probably be around 50 early in the day will be long forgotten. 

It really is deceiving given what the majority of the day is going to feature in terms of sensible weather. 

It may be remembered by you but someone just reviewing records could see mid 50's at LNS for both days. It is deceiving as you said. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It may be remembered by you but someone just reviewing records could see mid 50's at LNS for both days. It is deceiving as you said. 

Trust me, I'll remember. I've waited for years for a cold front like this to come through. I'm done with work until 1/3 so I'm going to stare at my station and enjoy the temp drop show. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

@Itstrainingtime, on the subject of the good records you keep, if the HRRR is right your first snow of the year and possibly coldest day of the year will go both down as being +10 AN Highs for those days.  I really dislike those midnight highs as they mask weather when looked at years in the future. 

Yeah I've long thought they should use a weighted average for the daily temp.  Do something like take all the on-the-hour temps and multiply each one by 1/24th then add them all together.  Still not perfect but a much better picture of the day that's being evaluated.  Obviously the more time periods you split it up into, the more accurate it will be (e.g. sum all 15-minute temps readings times 1/96th).  Briefly touching an extreme value can have an undue influence on the daily average, especially when it occurs around midnight and affects multiple days.  This works in both directions and I suppose in the grand scheme of things all comes out in the wash, but I'm a stickler for numerical accuracy.  I digress. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Trust me, I'll remember. I've waited for years for a cold front like this to come through. I'm done with work until 1/3 so I'm going to stare at my station and enjoy the temp drop show. 

Me as well.  After lunch tomorrow I don't go back until 1/4/23.  Enjoy your vacation! 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yeah I've long thought they should use a weighted average for the daily temp.  Do something like take all the on-the-hour temps and multiply each one by 1/24th then add them all together.  Still not perfect but a much better picture of the day that's being evaluated.  Obviously the more time periods you split it up into, the more accurate it will be (e.g. sum all 15-minute temps readings times 1/96th).  Briefly touching an extreme value can have an undue influence on the daily average, especially when it occurs around midnight and affects multiple days.  This works in both directions and I suppose in the grand scheme of things all comes out in the wash, but I'm a stickler for numerical accuracy.  I digress. 

Yeah...so about numerical accuracy - I received this at a company banquet a few years ago. Apparently my work peers think I'm sort of deranged numbers person:

image.thumb.jpeg.2ecd549cdc9cdd29f62faadaa627487f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1