Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

15 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Our better chances come after. Waves between the 20-25 need to be watched closely imo. 

This. Things look ripe after this big storm passes. Plenty of cold air and continuing energy moving into the southwest. Very Nino-like. Just a matter of how things time up and where they are located. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

This. Things look ripe after this big storm passes. Plenty of cold air and continuing energy moving into the southwest. Very Nino-like. Just a matter of how things time up and where they are located. 

Yup. One think I think some underestimate…we’re too far south to ever have a can’t miss super high snow probability setup from long range. No matter how good the pattern is…we always will still need some luck wrt timing and other synoptic and meso scale details that can’t be seen until medium range at best. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yup. One think I think some underestimate…we’re too far south to ever have a can’t miss super high snow probability setup from long range. No matter how good the pattern is…we always will still need some luck wrt timing and other synoptic and meso scale details that can’t be seen until medium range at best. 

It's even worse for us SE weenies.  The difference between a shut-out pattern and a ripe one is the difference between a 99.9% fail rate and a 95% fail rate.  And yet we still track.  Says something about us.

That being said, for those of us who also love cold in and of itself, the bar can be lower.  I'm salivating at the prospect of it actually being, you know, cold in the week before Christmas, instead of it being tropical like it has been all too frequently this past decade.  And the chances look decent.

One thing I took away from some of the info people posted yesterday is that the MJO is basically dormant right now.  So we do get a nice period it won't be due to the MJO.  So I guess its nice to know that it is not the end-all-be-all.  Still frustrating that it seems physically incapable of running through 7-8-1-2 at decent amplitude.  Hopefully that is partially due to the endless Nina, but I remember that it was pegged in the bad phases back in 2018-2019 as well, which was a Nino.

42 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

We get the overrunning 4”, then it pizzles  to drizzle, coastal takes over and Balt to NYC gets more snow. 

Keep in mind, the CMC notoriously runs cold fwiw. Otoh, the GFS used to run too cold also but the latest ugrade package was suppised to address this. Not sure how relevant this might be but figured I would at least make note.