joxey
December 2022

dmillz25

6 hours ago, bluewave said:

NYC snowfall

2000 12 29 -4.688…13.4”
1995 12 19 -4.353…11.5”
1962 12 31 -4.159…4.5”

December 1995 was an underperformer....we were supposed to get 15-20 inches of snow in that storm and somehow ended up with about 8 lol.  LGA got 14 and Islip got 11.  That was one of the biggest differences I've ever seen between JFK/NYC (who both got about 8) and LGA with 14.  That was a two or even three day storm and a jet skid off of the runway at JFK on the second day and ended up in Jamaica Bay.  Snow cover from that storm stuck around for the Jan blizzard.  We had snowcovered backroads on Long Island the entire time between the two storms.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

December 1995 was an underperformer....we were supposed to get 15-20 inches of snow in that storm and somehow ended up with about 8 lol.  LGA got 14 and Islip got 11.  That was one of the biggest differences I've ever seen between JFK/NYC (who both got about 8) and LGA with 14.  That was a two or even three day storm and a jet skid off of the runway at JFK on the second day and ended up in Jamaica Bay.  Snow cover from that storm stuck around for the Jan blizzard.  We had snowcovered backroads on Long Island the entire time between the two storms.

We had very heavy snow during the morning and then a lull most of the day as the transfer was happening. Round 2 took a while to get going and wasn't quite as impressive as forecast but still received 9"

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

why are la ninas more common than el ninos?

imagine if we had a 3 year el nino lol

Wouldn't say they're more common than El Ninos, it seemed like in the 80s and 90s until the major Nina in 98-99, El Nino was a lot more common and we also had the super 82-83 and 97-98 Ninos. Maybe it's a cyclical pattern like the AMO, I'm sure others with more data/expertise can elaborate. But part of it is also where these marine heatwaves set up. When they set up near Indonesia/Australia, they can supercharge any Nina pattern (what drives the Nina isn't just the cool E Pac waters, it's the warm water in the W Pacific) and the hostile MJO phases in winter. That's what killed us in 18-19 and 19-20. So these different factors sometimes amplify and interfere with one another, making older analogs tougher to use. Climate change likely plays a role in these crazy marine heatwaves we're seeing, and they definitely have a huge impact since the amount of heat they transfer to the atmosphere drives the downstream patterns. One interesting more local factor might be what happens as the Greenland ice sheet keeps melting. That's created a cold water pool near Greenland from the melted ice, which might help cause more +NAO patterns. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Wouldn't say they're more common than El Ninos, it seemed like in the 80s and 90s until the major Nina in 98-99, El Nino was a lot more common and we also had the super 82-83 and 97-98 Ninos. Maybe it's a cyclical pattern like the AMO, I'm sure others with more data/expertise can elaborate. But part of it is also where these marine heatwaves set up. When they set up near Indonesia/Australia, they can supercharge any Nina pattern (what drives the Nina isn't just the cool E Pac waters, it's the warm water in the W Pacific) and the hostile MJO phases in winter. That's what killed us in 18-19 and 19-20. So these different factors sometimes amplify and interfere with one another, making older analogs tougher to use. Climate change likely plays a role in these crazy marine heatwaves we're seeing, and they definitely have a huge impact since the amount of heat they transfer to the atmosphere drives the downstream patterns. One interesting more local factor might be what happens as the Greenland ice sheet keeps melting. That's created a cold water pool near Greenland from the melted ice, which might help cause more +NAO patterns. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

It's interesting that when we had more el ninos (during the 80s) we also had our lowest snowfall averages.

20 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

We had very heavy snow during the morning and then a lull most of the day as the transfer was happening. Round 2 took a while to get going and wasn't quite as impressive as forecast but still received 9"

It almost seems like a combo of Dec 2003 and Jan 2011.  More like Dec 2003 though because Round 2 with that underperformed here.  Jan 2011 was a case where it actually overperformed and we got close to 20"!

Don’t know with any scientific reason but aren’t La Nina’s just the “normal/neutral “ conditions (Ie, Hadley cell ) but stronger -whereas El Niños are the opposite of both ? Wouldn’t that lend to La Nina’s being a more “natural” variant ? Idk - just speculating. Would be curious for someone to know the statistical variation and also why. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It's interesting that when we had more el ninos (during the 80s) we also had our lowest snowfall averages.

Coincided with hostile NAO and AO I think, but again others with better data/insight can elaborate. 97-98 which I remember was just overwhelmed by the Nino and too warm. A few degrees cooler and it would've been a very nice winter since there were plenty of coastal storms. Interior areas did pretty well. I'd rather have the Ninos because often they're the winters that have the massive STJ/Pacific moisture laden blizzards like Jan 2016, PDII in 2003, Feb 1983. The Mar 1993 Superstorm was probably helped by the Nino that year too (though it was a weak Nino). The soul crushing 2/6/10 Nino blizzard just missed us but we still did well that winter. 

• Like 1