Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Deep erly flow hurts a bit in Dec. Would probably be awesome in many areas a month from now.

I’m starting to lean like you mentioned yesterday though that CF materializes.  that kind of cold weighted air in Maine once we establish the northeast flow and then if the flow tries to go east that’s going to create a thermal interface there; the wind will actually back probably more north towards Fitchburg while ENE wind at Logan in that scenario I mean that might be exaggerating that something like that tho.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I guess I'd feel better if we weren't teetering at 0-1C at 850 and need a little wetbulbing to get it cooler. At least verbatim. We never had that parent low in the Midwest in 92. That helps warm it a tad. 

Pretty warm up to H7 too. Maybe some H75-8 tongue action?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

And it may even end up with more than that…. 
personally as a “meteorological purist“ I haven’t been a particularly huge fan of the Southwest flow even ( since I lost weight – j/k…) terminology since its inception back whence. I mean if a storm is generating a Miller B, it’s a tilted Vortx in the vertical with a primary escaping through the eastern lakes …that’s southwest flow but cyclogen taking over - that’s a Miller b.  I mean there’s a reason why thats codified and not the other thing.

be that as it may …I get what it means to call it a Southwest event.  And I don’t entirely disagree with his essence either so I’m on the fence with the term really

Hell yeah it’s turning into a Miller B! I noticed on the models there is 2 or even 3 lows so I figured it must be a Miller B. An swfe has only one low right?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, George001 said:

Hell yeah it’s turning into a Miller B! I noticed on the models there is 2 or even 3 lows so I figured it must be a Miller B. An swfe has only one low right?

I don’t know what the SWFE rules are George.

Like Ray intimated… it’s really based upon shared metrics in either direction. I like that. Maybe that in itself is the SWFE definition that best fits

Like everything in this field that’s event related there’s always shared metrics. Like hybrid cyclones for example? Same idea in principal just a different subject matter.  It’s just a matter of how much or little it means in either direction. 

I will say that there’s no such thing as a pure Southwest FE because if it is, it overwhelms the cold air and turns around too quick to be significant enough so you have to have at least some kind of a meso involved so there’s your shared metrics right there. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Once the models "See" the airmass better as we get closer, I'm sure we can finagle a Dec '92 type gradient over E MA. 

Even if it starts as rain, If the more recent guidance has the right idea of the secondary redevelopment (Miller b) occurring off the Jersey shore, then the low has plenty of time to deepen to the 980s or even 970s before it gets to our latitude. The dynamical cooling in my opinion will lead to this being snow for even coastal areas. There was a lot of talk about a big dog with the upcoming pattern before it got delayed, could this be it? 

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

EPS on 12/16 looks pretty good....a lot of members SE of the OP

Dec8_12zEPS192.png

I'm favoring redevelopment for this system with a block that strong as well as a deep ULL out in the Atlantic like that... the models should continue to correct. there are already some strong members near the Delmarva that likely deliver from CT northward

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1170400.thumb.png.e1bbd86dda3c4a2cefbc256e51ded2de.pngecmwf-ensemble-avg-east-mslp_with_low_locs-1192000.thumb.png.b067fc960d5051a10c19aca0ab0d654c.pngecmwf-ensemble-avg-east-mslp_with_low_locs-1235200.thumb.png.453aed3fc1496e230482495f69a936b8.png

• Like 2

Long range to me looks to favor Rockies trough. Pretty cold look across Rockies into Midwest. Looks pretty chilly here, but the boundary is close by. This looks like SWFE and overrunning deals...maybe a redeveloper possibility type cstl?  My guess is not just snow, but perhaps various ptypes depending on location. Looks fun. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Long range to me looks to favor Rockies trough. Pretty cold look across Rockies into Midwest. Looks pretty chilly here, but the boundary is close by. This looks like SWFE and overrunning deals...maybe a redeveloper possibility type cstl?  My guess is not just snow, but perhaps various ptypes depending on location. Looks fun. 

Bingo....December in a nutshell.

Juggernaut event incoming for January...for someone.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I'm favoring redevelopment for this system with a block that strong as well as a deep ULL out in the Atlantic like that... the models should continue to correct. there are already some strong members near the Delmarva that likely deliver from CT northward

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1170400.thumb.png.e1bbd86dda3c4a2cefbc256e51ded2de.pngecmwf-ensemble-avg-east-mslp_with_low_locs-1192000.thumb.png.b067fc960d5051a10c19aca0ab0d654c.pngecmwf-ensemble-avg-east-mslp_with_low_locs-1235200.thumb.png.453aed3fc1496e230482495f69a936b8.png

Scatter shot today will see how it looks Sat For Monday and Wednesday for next weekend. Epic blocking

eps_acc_snow_ens_p2_boston_114.png

eps_acc_snow_ens_p1_boston_114.png

eps_acc_snow_ens_p2_boston_114.png

eps_acc_snow_ens_p2_boston_312.png

eps_acc_snow_ens_p1_boston_276.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1