• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2022/23 Lake Effect Snow Thread

Chicago Storm

Officially the total for yesterday is 12.6 which ranks as the snowiest day ever in the month of November. Previous was November 3rd 1966 with 9.5! And with them reporting 3.3 the day before it brings the official Les storm total to 15.9! 

I knew there was gonna be a few higher totals here but that I didn't expect. My total is 13.0 so far. Ofcourse the observer is a few miles west of me on the Nw side of town. 

Considering the break happening here this morning I kinda have mixed feelings about adding this afternoon/tonight's stuff to the event total. But yeah I know this is how multi day Les events roll. Officially need another 10.5 to break the Les total record which as mentioned before was with the Dec 2001 event which is 26.4! It stretched over 5 days.. 

The November snowfall records is 21 set in November 2000. Currently sit at 18.7 for the month so far. Had thought the record was a bit higher. Just checked though right before this post. 

All in all impressive to say the least. Not Buffalo but impressive for here anyways. That Orchard Park total makes me feel like I got a dusting. Lol

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Officially the total for yesterday is 12.6 which ranks as the snowiest day ever in the month of November. Previous was November 3rd 1966 with 9.5! And with them reporting 3.3 the day before it brings the official Les storm total to 15.9! 

I knew there was gonna be a few higher totals here but that I didn't expect. My total is 13.0 so far. Ofcourse the observer is a few miles west of me on the Nw side of town. 

Considering the break happening here this morning I kinda have mixed feelings about adding this afternoon/tonight's stuff to the event total. But yeah I know this is how multi day Les events roll. Officially need another 10.5 to break the Les total record which as mentioned before was with the Dec 2001 event which is 26.4! It stretched over 5 days.. 

The November snowfall records is 21 set in November 2000. Currently sit at 18.7 for the month so far. Had thought the record was a bit higher. Just checked though right before this post. 

All in all impressive to say the least. Not Buffalo but impressive for here anyways. That Orchard Park total makes me feel like I got a dusting. Lol

Heavy snow again now in GRR, sending your way. Radar is lighting up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michigander said:

Heavy snow again now in GRR, sending your way. Radar is lighting up.

Coming back quicker then I thought it would. That radar is lighting up quick.. Actually have a bit of sun at the moment. 

GRR mentioned thunder snow with this stuff today and tonight. That would put a cherry on top if I could score that! 

2 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Less than 1/2 mile visibility in snow with lots of blowing snow here. Radar definitely filling in. 

Pound town the last couple of hours there I see! What's your total so far? Gonna be in it a while as well. Glad you are finally getting it. About to ramp up here. 

IWX upgraded three of its Michigan counties to a WSW. The winds are gonna be a problem. 

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy lake effect snow and areas of blowing snow
  expected. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 7 inches. Near zero
  visibilities in heavier snow showers. Winds gusting as high as
  40 mph. Wind chills dropping into single digits tonight.

* WHERE...Cass MI, St. Joseph MI, and Berrien Counties.

* WHEN...This afternoon into tonight.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery, snow covered roads. Areas of blowing
  snow and heavy snow will significantly reduce visibility.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Pound town the last couple of hours there I see! What's your total so far? Gonna be in it a while as well. Glad you are finally getting it. About to ramp up here. 

You're getting the wrap-around boundary enhancement effect now that a truly arctic airmass is undercutting the lakes.  It's kind of a lull here now.  I don't know how much more is to come here in GRR.  The better focus might be south and west from now on.

12 minutes ago, frostfern said:

You're getting the wrap-around boundary enhancement effect now that a truly arctic airmass is undercutting the lakes.  It's kind of a lull here now.  I don't know how much more is to come here in GRR.  The better focus might be south and west from now on.

GRR cut down on totals here to 3-4? Gut says we blow by that as we did yesterday and the night before. Ofcourse all depends on where the bands set up? Admittedly the models didn't look as robust today which I am guessing is why the drop in expected totals here? 

Snowing at a decent clip now. 

55 minutes ago, Harry said:

GRR cut down on totals here to 3-4? Gut says we blow by that as we did yesterday and the night before. Ofcourse all depends on where the bands set up? Admittedly the models didn't look as robust today which I am guessing is why the drop in expected totals here? 

Snowing at a decent clip now. 

It feels like it's winding down up here.  The peak squalls came through around noon and it's been winding down ever since.  I saw a little sun peeking through the clouds even.  There's still some nice big dendrites at times, but it's not steady enough to really put down.

I-94 is still in the game for heavy snow for a while I think.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, frostfern said:

It feels like it's winding down up here.  The peak squalls came through around noon and it's been winding down ever since.  I saw a little sun peeking through the clouds even.  There's still some nice big dendrites at times, but it's not steady enough to really put down.

A matter again ( like yesterday etc ) of getting into and a band hanging out. 

This band that's been hitting here the last hour and a half has been intense. Close to 2 from it already. It is slipping south a bit which should give the south side of town some make up snow..

3-4 my ass.. Over the 3 mark and continues to come down hard. 

On another note... I never thought my biggest snowfall here would come via the lake but it's looking like a safe bet now. 2 inches to go to hit that mark which is 18 via GHD ll... The official site for Battle Creek should make a run at the two foot mark. I am about to leave work which is two miles south from my house so I could be a little off. 

On another note... I never thought my biggest snowfall here would come via the lake but it's looking like a safe bet now. 2 inches to go to hit that mark which is 18 via GHD ll... The official site for Battle Creek should make a run at the two foot mark. I am about to leave work which is two miles south from my house so I could be a little off. 

Would be nice to break this mark with a synoptic storm later this winter.  :whistle:

• Like 2

It seems totals around 20" are pretty widespread all along I-131.  I-94 south will get a LOT more than 3-4" since this is fluffy snow now.

36 minutes ago, Harry said:

What'd you/BC get in the Nov 2014 LES event?

MSF can correct if I'm wrong but looks like my 1st winter headline of the season is an SWS

Special Weather Statement

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Detroit/Pontiac MI
743 PM EST Sat Nov 19 2022

MIZ068>070-075-076-200230-
Livingston MI-Macomb MI-Oakland MI-Washtenaw MI-Wayne MI-
743 PM EST Sat Nov 19 2022

...A BAND OF HEAVY SNOW WILL AFFECT LIVINGSTON...OAKLAND...MACOMB...
WASHTENAW...AND WAYNE COUNTIES...

HAZARDS...A band of heavy snow accompanied by winds of up to 30 MPH
which can rapidly reduce visibility to near a quarter of a mile.
Quick snow accumulation around 1 inch with localized totals near 2
inches by 1000 PM.

LOCATION AND MOVEMENT...At 740 PM EST, a narrow band of heavy snow
was along a line from Rochester to near Brighton to near Gregory and
moving east at 35 MPH.

THIS BAND OF HEAVY SNOW WILL BE NEAR...
  Troy around 740 PM EST.
  Sterling Heights around 745 PM EST.
  Mount Clemens and Dexter around 755 PM EST.
  Novi around 800 PM EST.
  Hamburg around 805 PM EST.
  Whitmore Lake around 810 PM EST.
  Birmingham and Dixboro around 820 PM EST.

This includes the following highways...
 I-75 between mile markers 27 and 71.
 I-275 between mile markers 8 and 29.
 I-94 between mile markers 154 and 238.
 I-96 between mile markers 154 and 192.
 I-696 between mile markers 1 and 28.
 US-23 between mile markers 26 and 58.

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

14.4"... Almost forgot about that.. 

Tried to upload a quick vid but says file to large. 

Yeah, thought you did good then too. That Warning couldn't even cover the grass blades in Marshall. What a disappointing event for me. Looks like this one is treating Marshall much better and will end with a bang tonight. Have you seen any reports from there?