• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historic Lake Effect Event?! 11/17-11/21

Do the local governments around BUF place identifying poles on fire hydrants? They do that in some snowy areas in this country. Once there's a lot of snow on the ground and plows have made huge piles beside the roads, if there's a fire then these poles indicate to firefighters where to find a hydrant. Crews dig them out as soon as possible so the fire-fighters don't also have to do that. The poles are left behind though as wind could drift the snow back into the dugouts and it wouldn't be visually obvious where they were.

I have seen a similar amount of snow once, in Jan 1976 a heavy squall band hit London, ON. I don't recall if any weather stations had the maximum amounts, the nearby airport was only about half as badly snowed in.  Another very large dump of snow happened in the Georgian Bay snow belt in the week of Jan 26 to 31, 1971. I was about a hundred miles to the south of that one, but got fairly close to the maximum snowfall zone a few weeks later, most of it stayed on the ground until mid-March. 

7 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Do the local governments around BUF place identifying poles on fire hydrants? They do that in some snowy areas in this country. Once there's a lot of snow on the ground and plows have made huge piles beside the roads, if there's a fire then these poles indicate to firefighters where to find a hydrant. Crews dig them out as soon as possible so the fire-fighters don't also have to do that. The poles are left behind though as wind could drift the snow back into the dugouts and it wouldn't be visually obvious where they were.

I have seen a similar amount of snow once, in Jan 1976 a heavy squall band hit London, ON. I don't recall if any weather stations had the maximum amounts, the nearby airport was only about half as badly snowed in.  Another very large dump of snow happened in the Georgian Bay snow belt in the week of Jan 26 to 31, 1971. I was about a hundred miles to the south of that one, but got fairly close to the maximum snowfall zone a few weeks later, most of it stayed on the ground until mid-March. 

Funny you mentioned it, but I have a fire hydrant on my front property. I dug it out earlier today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Buffalo NY
932 PM EST Sat Nov 19 2022

NYZ001-002-010-011-019-085-200330-
Chautauqua NY-Southern Erie NY-Orleans NY-Genesee NY-Niagara NY-
Northern Erie NY-
932 PM EST Sat Nov 19 2022

...A LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND WILL AFFECT PARTS OF CHAUTAUQUA...SOUTHERN
ERIE...ORLEANS...GENESEE...NIAGARA...AND NORTHERN ERIE COUNTIES...

HAZARDS...An intense band of heavy lake effect snow over Grand
Island, the Tonawandas, and Niagara County will move southeast and
cross the Buffalo Metro area, southern Erie County, and the
Chautauqua County shoreline this evening. Winds will gust to 40 mph
creating blinding whiteouts.

Travel conditions will become severe in a matter of minutes as this
intense band of snow moves into the region!

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
Buffalo, Cheektowaga, Niagara Falls, West Seneca, North Tonawanda,
Clarence, Lockport, Lackawanna, Kenmore, Depew, Amherst, Tonawanda,
Dunkirk, Fredonia, Lancaster, Hamburg, East Aurora, Medina, Albion
and Williamsville.

This includes Interstate 90 between exits 48A and 61.

SAFETY INFO...
Conditions can deteriorate rapidly in winter weather situations. Be
prepared for snow or ice covered roads. Slow down and allow extra
time to reach your destination.

One thing they really know how to do well, is get those roads cleaned up FAST after the snow stopped. The plow crews in those parts are chained lightning. That much snow, if it had ever fallen in northern Virginia, would have shut that region down for weeks. Next time you have too much snow, call up the Buffalo snow removal crews.

10 minutes ago, Jebman said:

One thing they really know how to do well, is get those roads cleaned up FAST after the snow stopped. The plow crews in those parts are chained lightning. That much snow, if it had ever fallen in northern Virginia, would have shut that region down for weeks. Next time you have too much snow, call up the Buffalo snow removal crews.

It also only falls in a small area, can concentrate a bajillon plows in one area