• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Historic Lake Effect Event?! 11/17-11/21

1 hour ago, Roger Smith said:

Don or anyone able to find the data, surprised not to see any dates from late Jan 1977 (the infamous Buffalo blizzard) in that list, what were the amounts then? I remember seeing news stories (out of Buffalo as I lived in range of WBEN etc) talking about six feet of snow and the city cut off etc. Was it more of a wind factor with that, or do you find any missing days there (probably 26th-31st Jan and possibly 1st-2nd Feb). Maybe it evades the list by spreading out a lot of snowfall in 12" type amounts over five days? 

Looking at that list, I think the Jan 1902 and March 1936 storms were probably entirely synoptic and not lake effect (based on Toronto having similar record amounts on those days, and also inspection of historical weather maps), and the Jan 11 1982 storm was probably a mix of 6-8" of storm snowfall and subsequent lake effect. 

Roger,

The December 1976- January 1977 period was notable for the number of snowy days, total amount of snowfall, and sustained cold that led the snow to pile up.

Select Statistics:

December 1976: 60.7"
January 1977: 68.3"
Total: 129.0"

10" or more daily snowfall:
December 2, 1976: 16.6" (18th biggest daily snowfall on record)
December 23, 1976: 12.6"
January 10, 1977: 13.2"

Days with snowfall: 59 (95%)
Days with measurable snowfall: 54 (87%)

Mean temperature for the period: 17.9°
Average high temperature for the period: 24.8°
Average low temperature for the period: 11.0°

Days with high temperatures of 32° or below: 49 (79%)
Days with low temperatures below 0°: 6 (10%)

Highest maximum temperature: 46°, December 19-20, 1976
Lowest maximum temperature: 4°, January 17, 1977

Highest minimum temperature: 29°, December 17, 1976
Lowest minimum temperature: -7°, January 29, 1977

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I found some data for Fort Erie, ON which is across the border from Buffalo. The period Jan 26 to 31 1977 had these snowfalls (measured in inches, my source has converted them to cm, Canada went metric the next year though) ... A lot of snow fell there, whether it was from the sky or the lake this is what was reported along with max and min temps to show how frigid the blizzard period was ...

Date ____________ Snow (in) ____ Max (F) __ Min (F): 

26th Jan 1977 _____ 7.0 _________ 21 _______ 15

27th Jan 1977 ____ 11.0 _________ 20 ________ 4

28th Jan 1977 _____ 5.0 ________ 20 _________ 0

29th Jan 1977 ____ 12.0 ________ 11 _________-11

30th Jan 1977 _____ 4.0 ________ 10 _________ -8

31st Jan 1977 ______4.0 ________ 17 __________ 3

____________________ 43.0" total _ 16.5 _______ 0.5 avg temps

Light snowfalls continued for several days into Feb 1977 with gradually moderating temperatures. 

I would estimate there was 15 inches of snow on the ground when this began and as Don has mentioned it was an extremely cold month (and two month interval, the winter began to moderate in stages through Feb 1977). This event was accompanied by very strong winds, I don't have a specific number from this location but St Catharines A had gusts in the 40-50 mph range every day during this period. Snowfalls at that location (about 30 miles northwest near Lake Ontario) were only about 15 inches in total and snow depths were decreasing from snow depths at a rate suggesting that even that snow was being blown away by the strong winds. 

So that "Buffalo blizzard" had frigid temperatures and wind chills. I remember it was just sunny and cold most of that week in southern Ontario and Toronto sent a convoy of snow plows south to help out, whether it was in Fort Erie or Buffalo I don't recall. 

• Like 3

On 11/20/2022 at 12:20 AM, USCG RS said:

Actually, I think that record goes to Copenhagen, NY; 2 Dec 1966: 12 inches in one hour. 

It's on a long lost hard drive of mine, but years ago I found a newspaper (NYT iirc) clipping from c.1900 describing a freak snowfall of something like 8" in 20 minutes along the shoreline in Wayne or Oswego county. It snowed so heavily that people outside at the time ran to the nearest house/barn/etc to take cover for fear of suffocating. I posted it here probably 10+ years back, but I can't find that post.

Anyway, I've been living vicariously through BuffaloWeather's posts. I miss LES.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I measured 9.6 inches here for yesterday. Got a burst of snow for about an hour in the morning. Then for the afternoon the main band moved about 10 miles north of me. Around 6 PM it moved south and I got about an hour and a half of very heavy snow. The band started weakening but the snow lasted until almost midnight. It’s nothing compared to western New York but about what I was hoping for. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Just talked to Dan over at BUF NWS and he confirmed no more than 4 wipes per 24 hour period. They are trying to gather data for 24 hour maximum totals. Just gave him all my 6 hour measurements.

Did he say anything about placing the board on top of the snow after each measurement? That seems to be a point of contention to some. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Tons of roofs are caving in right now. My favorite restaurant in Hamburgs roof just caved in. 

Tractor supply roof caved in as well. 

Wegmans too :(

I think that Wegmans story is not true - a friend is a VP at corporate and I asked and he said they heard that rumor last night and it wasn’t true. They were cleaning the roof off the McKinkey store. 

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

I think that Wegmans story is not true - a friend is a VP at corporate and I asked and he said they heard that rumor last night and it wasn’t true. They were cleaning the roof off the McKinkey store. 

Agreed I just went there lol, place was a mad house. Aldis too. A girl at work told me about wegmans. They really did take all the bread and milk 

3CFE8721-B990-44E2-9A82-572E0876D140.jpeg